Workout Tips & Tricks

Texsox

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
What if you only have dumb-bells and no weights? :( Highest amount of weight I got is 10 lbs. I usually do pushups (usually a couple sets) then up it by 10 every 2 weeks.

The problem is your body is going to get used to doing pushups and will stop gaining muscle. You will plateau real easy doing that. The easiest thing i can tell you to do is go to the gym where they have the necessary equipment. I know that might not be a possibility though.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 03:30 PM)
What if you only have dumb-bells and no weights? :( Highest amount of weight I got is 10 lbs. I usually do pushups (usually a couple sets) then up it by 10 every 2 weeks.

in reality yeah, you either need heavier weights or to hit a gym...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
If you want more mass, you definitely need to do more weight and less reps. But if you are a victim of chronic strains and the like, you may wish to consult a physician or trainer before doing anything too difficult.

I'm going to head out on the road bike today for about an 8 mile ride. We'll see how the quitting smoking and recent working out have helped my endurance.

Pray that I don't die. It's a concrete jungle out there in Vegas...

I just overdo it on my lifts I feel, nothing chronic. I have consulted a trainer and it is nothing serious at all, guess I am a bit of a hypochondriac.

Working out and running is always hard after taking time off. I ran cross country four years in high school, took about a half a year off during college from running and was exhausted when I first started running again.

Good Luck.

QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Feb 10, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
I've heard that to gain muscle size the best way is to do your 1st set at 10 reps, add 5 lbs do the 2nd at 8 reps, and add 5 lbs again and do the 3rd at 6 reps. Make the last set to failure. This way you're telling your muscles that they need to grow. I've been doing this for about 3 weeks now and I've already seen a difference in size and strength. I think I'll be sticking with this workout technique.

Sounds like an interesting idea, I will definitely give it a try. I always go to failure, I don't understand why some don't.

• 1 month later...

Damnit, there goes my neck again. That's like the 3rd or 4th time I've tweaked one of those muscles in the past 2 months. I'm not, as far as I can tell, doing a ridiculous amount of weight on anything that's working that part, I'm stretching it before and after exercise, wtf?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 02:34 PM)
Damnit, there goes my neck again. That's like the 3rd or 4th time I've tweaked one of those muscles in the past 2 months. I'm not, as far as I can tell, doing a ridiculous amount of weight on anything that's working that part, I'm stretching it before and after exercise, wtf?

It has to be the stretches your doing. Abandon them. I have never even thought about stretching my neck, since the only exercises that engage it are goofy exercises such as this which are more suited for bodybuilders or football players.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Looking for some tips.

It seems every time I create my workout routine it is something different. What workout routines do you find are effective in that they build mass?

So, how many days a week? Different muscle groups each day? Number of sets & reps?

Any specific exercises you would suggest? I have a smith machine, chinup bar, dumbbells, ankle weights.

I have always considered doing it 5 days a week with different muscle groups each day but I just never felt I would be working those groups enough during the week, advice?

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Aug 5, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
have got in real good shape the last 6-8 months working real hard, but taking about a week off from working out and it feels great, going to start back up tomorrow and my body feels refreshed!

Yeah I've been killing my body in the weight room this summer, taking this next week off on vacation, then come back for maxes before i'm off to school. I haven't had a break for about 3 months now. I hate breaks, but it's a must for the recovery and building process.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Sonik22 @ Aug 7, 2010 -> 01:54 AM)
Yeah I've been killing my body in the weight room this summer, taking this next week off on vacation, then come back for maxes before i'm off to school. I haven't had a break for about 3 months now. I hate breaks, but it's a must for the recovery and building process.

I'm not a fan of extended breaks either because, like a lot of people, I become mentally addicted to it and feel oogie without working out, but it really made a world of difference. When I went back everything felt better and I was stronger and more explosive... also I get that sore feeling for a few days which is always a weird reward to show your body is reacting!