Obama's Pastor

Controlled Chaos

WTF is up with this dude? Has this been discussed here and I missed it? If this is who Obama has followed for the last 20 years, I have to think he believes some of this stuff. This is who married him... this is who he chose to baptize his kids? The dude is filled with nothing, but hate. Can any of the kids attending this church grow up and not have hate in their hearts? How the heck is what he's doing even considered attending church...it's like a townhall meeting for hating white people and hating this country.

Obama's Pastor: God Damn America, U.S. to Blame for 9/11

Obama's Pastor, Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Has a History of What Even Obama's Campaign Aides Say Is 'Inflammatory Rhetoric'

By BRIAN ROSS and REHAB EL-BURI

March 13, 2008—

Sen. Barack Obama's pastor says blacks should not sing "God Bless America" but "God damn America."

The Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Obama's pastor for the last 20 years at the Trinity United Church of Christ on Chicago's south side, has a long history of what even Obama's campaign aides concede is "inflammatory rhetoric," including the assertion that the United States brought on the 9/11 attacks with its own "terrorism."

In a campaign appearance earlier this month, Sen. Obama said, "I don't think my church is actually particularly controversial." He said Rev. Wright "is like an old uncle who says things I don't always agree with," telling a Jewish group that everyone has someone like that in their family.

Rev. Wright married Obama and his wife Michelle, baptized their two daughters and is credited by Obama for the title of his book, "The Audacity of Hope."

An ABC News review of dozens of Rev. Wright's sermons, offered for sale by the church, found repeated denunciations of the U.S. based on what he described as his reading of the Gospels and the treatment of black Americans.

"The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing 'God Bless America.' No, no, no, God damn America, that's in the Bible for killing innocent people," he said in a 2003 sermon. "God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme."

In addition to damning America, he told his congregation on the Sunday after Sept. 11, 2001 that the United States had brought on al Qaeda's attacks because of its own terrorism.

"We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye," Rev. Wright said in a sermon on Sept. 16, 2001.

"We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America's chickens are coming home to roost," he told his congregation.

Sen. Obama told the New York Times he was not at the church on the day of Rev. Wright's 9/11 sermon. "The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification," Obama said in a recent interview. "It sounds like he was trying to be provocative," Obama told the paper.

Rev. Wright, who announced his retirement last month, has built a large and loyal following at his church with his mesmerizing sermons, mixing traditional spiritual content and his views on contemporary issues.

"I wouldn't call it radical. I call it being black in America," said one congregation member outside the church last Sunday.

"He has impacted the life of Barack Obama so much so that he wants to portray that feeling he got from Rev. Wright onto the country because we all need something positive," said another member of the congregation.

Rev. Wright, who declined to be interviewed by ABC News, is considered one of the country's 10 most influential black pastors, according to members of the Obama campaign.

Obama has praised at least one aspect of Rev. Wright's approach, referring to his "social gospel" and his focus on Africa, "and I agree with him on that."

Sen. Obama declined to comment on Rev. Wright's denunciations of the United States, but a campaign religious adviser, Shaun Casey, appearing on "Good Morning America" Thursday, said Obama "had repudiated" those comments.

In a statement to ABCNews.com, Obama's press spokesman Bill Burton said, "Sen. Obama has said repeatedly that personal attacks such as this have no place in this campaign or our politics, whether they're offered from a platform at a rally or the pulpit of a church. Sen. Obama does not think of the pastor of his church in political terms. Like a member of his family, there are things he says with which Sen. Obama deeply disagrees. But now that he is retired, that doesn't detract from Sen. Obama's affection for Rev. Wright or his appreciation for the good works he has done."

Click Here for the Investigative Homepage.

Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, how long until you get the posts about all the evil-spewing right-wing evalgelicals who have backed or still back candidates? You know, trying to deflect by saying 'well, your side does it too'. That said, is it any wonder why Michelle Obama hasn't felt proud of America until recently?

There's been an awful lot of talk in this campaign about how these candidates' acquaintances behave. There is this pastor... there is McCain's "spiritual advisor" and his inflammatory statements... but ultimately, if these people are not in the staff of the candidates, what control do they have over what they say? None, basically.

So, how important are these sorts of things? Not very, I'd suggest.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)

He can say he profoundly disagrees with him. He'd be f***in insane to not say that. But still, he has followed this guy for 20 years. Why would you continue to follow someone who spews this kind of vitriol if you disagreed with it. Why would you have your kids introduced to this kind of speech?

Forget about politics for a second. Forgot about Obama even. If you just had a black friend that attended this church for 20 years and you just heard these sermons from this guy now...would you not be like WTF???? Clearly you're buying what he's selling cause you continue to go there.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:00 PM)
He can say he profoundly disagrees with him. He'd be f***in insane to not say that. But still, he has followed this guy for 20 years. Why would you continue to follow someone who spews this kind of vitriol if you disagreed with it. Why would you have your kids introduced to this kind of speech?

Forget about politics for a second. Forgot about Obama even. If you just had a black friend that attended this church for 20 years and you just heard these sermons from this guy now...would you not be like WTF???? Clearly you're buying what he's selling cause you continue to go there.

OK, let's go with the friend scenario. Now, I've been to a lot of masses in my years. I was married in a Catholic church. And I can cite for you any number of things that were said in homily that I find detestable - sexism, racism, homophobia, etc. So, do those sermons reflect on me as a person?

This would be a lot different if it were an organization whose themes included those things. But its not. Its not the KKK, or the Black Panthers... its a church. And I'd bet that 90% of what is said is stuff we'd all more or less be OK with.

I don't see the "hate" part. Yes he's clearly angry with the U.S goverment, but I don't see how you can call that hate. I didn't see him say that we should kill all white people or something to that extent.

I just don't see a problem with his speeches.

If the whole mantra behind that church was those things, then you're dam right it reflects on you. I would hardly compare this pastor to some things you heard in a homily a few times. I would compare his church to that nutjob's church that protests the funerals and stuff. It seems the whole reason for it being is to preach hate. If I had a friend at either of these churches, they can both go f*** themselves.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 12:49 PM)
OK, how long until you get the posts about all the evil-spewing right-wing evalgelicals who have backed or still back candidates? You know, trying to deflect by saying 'well, your side does it too'. That said, is it any wonder why Michelle Obama hasn't felt proud of America until recently?

And right on cue... :lol:

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)
If the whole mantra behind that church was those things, then you're dam right it reflects on you. I would hardly compare this pastor to some things you heard in a homily a few times. I would compare his church to that nutjob's church that protests the funerals and stuff. It seems the whole reason for it being is to preach hate. If I had a friend at either of these churches, they can both go f*** themselves.

Those rich white folks hold everyone down! Only Obama can correct this.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:36 PM)

Oh wow. McCain goes to that guys church? and that guy baptized his kids and performed his wedding ceremony? or is it just some guy McCain said is a spiritual adviser as to get the Huckabee voters out for him? it seems more like the later. some evangelical supports him and he probably doesn't even know much about the guy but decideds he would be a good spiritual adviser. even though i doubt McCain even listens to him or cares what he thinks.

This is nothing, and it won't play in the general election. Obama can point to many times in the past when he's repudiated this guy's beliefs. If McCain tries to go after this, he'll be hit twice as hard on his "spiritual advisor" and the Falwell stuff. It's a nonissue and a nonstarter.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)
This is nothing, and it won't play in the general election. Obama can point to many times in the past when he's repudiated this guy's beliefs. If McCain tries to go after this, he'll be hit twice as hard on his "spiritual advisor" and the Falwell stuff. It's a nonissue and a nonstarter.

You're exactly right, but not for the reasons that you think you are. :D

Or maybe so. I dunno. ;)

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:53 PM)

:lol:

we'll see

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:37 PM)
Anyone that thinks Obama's close ties to this guy isn't going to influence the general election just isn't being realistic.

For the record, I wasn't saying it wouldn't have an effect on the election. I was saying it wouldn't have an effect on ME.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 01:50 PM)

My point was that this isn't an organization built on those principles - its a church. There is an important distinction there, I'd say. What makes you think the whole reason for its being is to preach hate? And do you really think that Barack Obama, who has actually managed to do an admirable job of not talking about race unless spoken to about it, would spend 20 years attending a church with that as its sole purpose?

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 14, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)

The Obama campaign added another statement on there about an hour ago. Supposedly he's making appearances on all 3 cable networks tonight as well.

Let me repeat what I've said earlier. All of the statements that have been the subject of controversy are ones that I vehemently condemn. They in no way reflect my attitudes and directly contradict my profound love for this country.

With Rev. Wright's retirement and the ascension of my new pastor, Rev. Otis Moss, III, Michelle and I look forward to continuing a relationship with a church that has done so much good. And while Rev. Wright's statements have pained and angered me, I believe that Americans will judge me not on the basis of what someone else said, but on the basis of who I am and what I believe in; on my values, judgment and experience to be President of the United States.

Crafty enough to make one believe he's a closet 5th columnist Muslim!!!! Edited by Balta1701

If the campaign involves religion as a topic for either Obama or McCain, it's a bad thing. They both have what could be best descriped as sketchy and what could worst be descriped as flat our scary backgrounds with their religious beliefs. However, there will be MUCH more backlash over what Obama's pastor said than what McCain's spiritual advisor said, because there are a lot more anti-Islam people in America than I think most realize (which is pretty sad).

Edited by whitesoxfan101