Obama's Pastor

Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 01:23 PM)
I think youre last sentence is the problem. We dont know enough about them to label them "high quality." Look at Michelles thesis in college and that gives you an idea of what kind of substance were dealing with.

I haven't read the 96 page thesis and I doubt I will but there's nothing offensive from it quoted in the politico article. I have no idea what it's like to be a black person in America, and don't see how exploring the issue as a college student is indicative in any way of the character or substance of an individual.

The Obama campaign has done so well at becoming the candidate for President that happens to be black, and not the black candidate, and I think that is genuinely how Barack feels. That's why this story is so disturbing, and harmful to the campaign.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
I haven't read the 96 page thesis and I doubt I will but there's nothing offensive from it quoted in the politico article. I have no idea what it's like to be a black person in America, and don't see how exploring the issue as a college student is indicative in any way of the character or substance of an individual.

The Obama campaign has done so well at becoming the candidate for President that happens to be black, and not the black candidate, and I think that is genuinely how Barack feels. That's why this story is so disturbing, and harmful to the campaign.

I just think its not accurate to call a candidate we dont know of high quality. Not to mention the Rezco stuff. Im not saying he is any worse than any other candidate. IMO theyre all criminals, but he is far from the saint he tries to come across as.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
I just think its not accurate to call a candidate we dont know of high quality. Not to mention the Rezco stuff. Im not saying he is any worse than any other candidate. IMO theyre all criminals, but he is far from the saint he tries to come across as.

Well from all I know about Obama I feel comfortable with my assessment.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 01:33 PM)

On the Rezko thing...Obama did as well as he possibly could on Friday to deal with that. He appears to have sat down with both the Chicago Tribune and the Sun times for several hours, told them at the start of their interviews that he would answer any question they had on the Rezko matter, and both appear to have come out satisfied.

U.S. Sen. Barack Obama waited 16 months to attempt the exorcism. But when he finally sat down with the Tribune editorial board Friday, Obama offered a lengthy and, to us, plausible explanation for the presence of now-indicted businessman Tony Rezko in his personal and political lives.

The most remarkable facet of Obama's 92-minute discussion was that, at the outset, he pledged to answer every question the three dozen Tribune journalists crammed into the room would put to him. And he did.

Along the way he confronted the starkest innuendo that has dogged him and his campaign for the presidency: the suggestion that the purchase of an adjacent lot by Rezko's wife subtly subsidized the Obamas' purchase of their home on Chicago's South Side. "This notion that somehow I got a discount and Rezko overpaid is simply not true ... simply, factually, incorrect," Obama said Friday, adding that he didn't need any intervention from Rezko to grease the purchase of the house.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 02:31 PM)
The story has been around in some form for over a year, but it picked up steam with the Farrakhan award, and really hit its stride with the analysis of the printed sermons. I'm fairly certain ABC published the first article reporting on those published sermons. (And it does seem that they are credited most often by early stories/blogs.) Fox also, as I understand it, bought the sermons. I'm pretty sure they reported on those after ABC, but independently. As far as I'm concerned, both Fox and ABC broke the story (at least, this phase of the story), but it's simply not true that Fox was the only one covering it.

I haven't seen all the media reports on this, but FOX seemed to be the first major coverage. It could have been a buried ABC story, so I guess that would constitute 'breaking it' . I saw a CNN piece that covered it, by in a way as to defend Obama. This really isn't the type of story Democrats in the MSM newsrooms want to cover, especially following a Democrat scandal involving Spitzer.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 03:52 PM)
On the Rezko thing...Obama did as well as he possibly could on Friday to deal with that. He appears to have sat down with both the Chicago Tribune and the Sun times for several hours, told them at the start of their interviews that he would answer any question they had on the Rezko matter, and both appear to have come out satisfied.

Its another case of him denying everything. He isnt going to go and admit any fault in anything but these are a lot of coincidences.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 06:21 PM)
Its another case of him denying everything. He isnt going to go and admit any fault in anything but these are a lot of coincidences.

Did you even bother reading either of those pieces?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 08:35 PM)
I haven't seen all the media reports on this, but FOX seemed to be the first major coverage. It could have been a buried ABC story, so I guess that would constitute 'breaking it' . I saw a CNN piece that covered it, by in a way as to defend Obama. This really isn't the type of story Democrats in the MSM newsrooms want to cover, especially following a Democrat scandal involving Spitzer.

No, I think Fox was the first gleeful, 24/7, 80-point headline coverage of it. Given the number of cites ABC receives, I'd hardly say it was buried, though it may not have been featured as exclusively as Republicans wanted.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 16, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
when the story first came out, Thursday I believe it was, Fox was the only one to show it. CNN didn't do anything on it, and neither did CBS or NBC. Now, they kinda have to do it because it has gotten so big. But it is obvious the majority of the media is in the tank for Obama. Not only on television but also in the newspapers. The Chicago Sun Times, the New York Time, etc.

I'm not saying Fox isn't unbiased, because they are in favor of McCain and the Republicans, but at least they will report all the news. Fox's bias for Republicans is nothing compared to the majoirty of the media's bias and love for Obama/Democrats.

man the inaccuracies of this post

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
No, I think Fox was the first gleeful, 24/7, 80-point headline coverage of it. Given the number of cites ABC receives, I'd hardly say it was buried, though it may not have been featured as exclusively as Republicans wanted.

Who is citing ABC?

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 03:36 PM)
Who is citing ABC?

I was just thinking of what I had been reading online. Checking my browsing history, the ElectionGeek blog and this story:

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6..._political.html

cite ABC. ABC also covered some of the more controversial statements that spurred this 'phase' of the story (including the 'God damn America' part that the ABC story lead with) on Thursday morning, on Good Morning America. (MediaMatters quotes parts of the coverage, and ABC's details on the transcript of the show show that they did discuss Wright.)

It's true that ABC did not preempt all programming to air wall-to-wall coverage of Jeremiah Wright and the nefarious left-wing plot to bring a monstrous America-hater black separatist antisemite into the WH. f***ing Democratic hacks.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 17, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
It's true that ABC did not preempt all programming to air wall-to-wall coverage of Jeremiah Wright and the nefarious left-wing plot to bring a monstrous America-hater black separatist antisemite into the WH. f***ing Democratic hacks.

To quote the honorable Jeremiah Wright: "Barracks chickens have come HOME!.......to roost"

:lol:

I remember way back when Bush spoke at Bob Jones U, the Dems and the media went nuts over his 'connection'. I think the Dems even pushed for a resolution condemning Bob Jones U. I wonder if Nancy will push for a resolution condemning Wright and his church?

You know, all you guys who all of a sudden are insinuating that Obama is some kind of closet racist where he has been going to this church for the past 20 years to be indoctrinated with hatred and contempt for white people and America based off a handful of video clips, I kind of feel sorry for how easily you're manipulated by the media. I just don't see how you could just jump to such wild and ridiculous conclusions and pretend like that's all there is to know, and nothing else.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 06:11 AM)
You know, all you guys who all of a sudden are insinuating that Obama is some kind of closet racist where he has been going to this church for the past 20 years to be indoctrinated with hatred and contempt for white people and America based off a handful of video clips, I kind of feel sorry for how easily you're manipulated by the media. I just don't see how you could just jump to such wild and ridiculous conclusions and pretend like that's all there is to know, and nothing else.

It's a glimpse into who Obama puts stock in and some of what he believes. You don't associate with people like this for 20 years and not believe some of it. Do you hang around people like this for (again) 20 years if you don't believe anything they say?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 07:04 AM)
It's a glimpse into who Obama puts stock in and some of what he believes. You don't associate with people like this for 20 years and not believe some of it. Do you hang around people like this for (again) 20 years if you don't believe anything they say?

I have lifelong friends that I've known since kindergarten that think nothing like me. I'm 34 now.

And what's with the part I bolded? Do you honestly think that for 20 years this pastor spewed nothing but hatred? There's nothing Obama could have agreed with?

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 08:04 AM)
Do you hang around people like this for (again) 20 years if you don't believe anything they say?

Frankly, yes. And what of it? I have friends that do drugs, does it mean I sanction the use of drugs? Cmon now. Some of my friends and/or family are just plain morons. Does that affect who I am? No it doesn't. Not at all. Not in the slightest. I could care less what someone thinks about my friends, if they want to judge me based off the people I know and not what I believe... especially when what they know me to believe directly conflicts with what my friends believe, but you give more weight to the latter... then that's not someone I want to know. Then again, I'm not a politician trying to pander to fickle, narrow-minded masses either...

This entire response is based off the fallacious premise that Jeremiah Wright ONLY preaches what you saw in those videos btw. Anything more than that is deliberately polarzing the issue and trying to turn it black and white when it really isn't (pun not intended).

What I'm saying here is... if someone already doesn't like Obama and this is just fuel to their fire that's one thing but if this is a revelation, or an epiphany that causes somebody to do a complete 180 on Obama that's kind of pathetic IMO. Is it a strike against Obama? Probably. Does it carry as much weight as everybody is saying it is, enough to completely override anything Obama has ever said or done? No.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 07:47 AM)
This entire response is based off the fallacious premise that Jeremiah Wright ONLY preaches what you saw in those videos btw. Anything more than that is deliberately polarzing the issue and trying to turn it black and white when it really isn't (pun not intended).

I would really like to know how often sermons like that were given. Are the handful of clips out there the only times in 20 years? Was it a weekly or monthly thing?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 08:53 AM)
I would really like to know how often sermons like that were given. Are the handful of clips out there the only times in 20 years? Was it a weekly or monthly thing?

No way of knowing honestly, but from watching news networks you'd think it was the foundation of everything Wright preached for his entire career.

I will say this though, when pastors of black churches start talking about race relations, it does get pretty fiery. Usually not the point of outright racism, but still toeing the line of political correctness (at least what you'd be used to seeing on TV)

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 07:58 AM)
No way of knowing honestly, but from watching news networks you'd think it was the foundation of everything Wright preached for his entire career.

I will say this though, when pastors of black churches start talking about race relations, it does get pretty fiery. Usually not the point of outright racism, but still toeing the line of political correctness (at least what you'd be used to seeing on TV)

I know better then that. But, the fact is, the undertones are there always. It's his style and his belief that african americans are being held down by "rich white folks". Does he say it every week? Probably not. Does he believe it? Absolutely. Does Obama? Probably, but of course he can't come right out and say that. Duh.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 09:24 AM)
For anyone curious, Obama is starting a speech right now (~9:15) that I think CNN will carry live, about this and race in general in his attempt to get to the White House.

Still waiting...CNN is carrying it live, and you can stream it online.

Hey, Barack, you know what really pisses me off? Did you guess, saying you'll start a speech at one time and keeping me waiting around for it to begin? Wow, yer good. You say you want to bring people together, then you get them together, then YOU TALK. We ain't bonding while we're waiting around.

/rant