Obama's Pastor

Controlled Chaos

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
Hey, Barack, you know what really pisses me off? Did you guess, saying you'll start a speech at one time and keeping me waiting around for it to begin? Wow, yer good. You say you want to bring people together, then you get them together, then YOU TALK. We ain't bonding while we're waiting around.

/rant

According to CNN, it was technical difficulties with the audio.

But still, it doesn't look good, does it?

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 09:53 AM)
I know better then that. But, the fact is, the undertones are there always. It's his style and his belief that african americans are being held down by "rich white folks". Does he say it every week? Probably not. Does he believe it? Absolutely. Does Obama? Probably, but of course he can't come right out and say that. Duh.

Yeah, so? You know something, that might not be completely true but it's based in truth, at least historically, and that's the way many blacks feel. People don't really like to bring it up in mixed company, and I know that white people don't want to hear it because they don't want people to say they're racist when they feel they're not, they think it's unfair which is understandable. But pretending that this country hasn't had devastating racial problems that linger to this day (albeit to a significantly lesser degree, after much progress), or hiding your head in the sand and condemning people who bring up reality is pretty ignorant if you ask me. And as I read comments across the Internet, that's exactly what's happening.

Anyway, Ashley finishes her story and then goes around the room and asks everyone else why they’re supporting the campaign. They all have different stories and reasons. Many bring up a specific issue. And finally they come to this elderly black man who’s been sitting there quietly the entire time. And Ashley asks him why he’s there. And he does not bring up a specific issue. He does not say health care or the economy. He does not say education or the war. He does not say that he was there because of Barack Obama. He simply says to everyone in the room, “I am here because of Ashley.”

I admit, I had a tear in my eye.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 10:49 AM)
According to CNN, it was technical difficulties with the audio.

But still, it doesn't look good, does it?

I know, it was just annoying, b/c there's something I wanted to do. The audio seemed to be a problem throughout the speech, although part of that was Obama not being able to decide how close to mike he wanted to be.

Overall, that was one of his better speeches, especially in the middle. A little long, why are all political speeches so long now?, and I think he almost always gets pat and cute and vague at some point. But the bulk of it was quite direct, so that's good.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 10:17 AM)
Yeah, so? You know something, that might not be completely true but it's based in truth, at least historically, and that's the way many blacks feel. People don't really like to bring it up in mixed company, and I know that white people don't want to hear it because they don't want people to say they're racist when they feel they're not, they think it's unfair which is understandable. But pretending that this country hasn't had devastating racial problems that linger to this day (albeit to a significantly lesser degree, after much progress), or hiding your head in the sand and condemning people who bring up reality is pretty ignorant if you ask me. And as I read comments across the Internet, that's exactly what's happening.

For me personally we all have equal opportunity to succeed. Why do African-Americans who live in inner cities rise to the top of their respected professions, when they could just as easily end up in jail? Because someone was there to mentor them. Because someone was there to help them understand that is the American dream, not because some white guy who doesn't know them or their plight are going to keep them right in that socio-economic class. I have friends that are Mexican-American, African-American, Phillopeano-American (spelling), whatever. And they are very successful people. They didn't let the crap that gets spewed about the great white satans knocking them back exist in their minds.

It's sad to me that people get brainwashed into thinking they can't be successful. You have to teach kids that they can do what they want and be successful. You have to reward them for successes and through discipline build them up from failures. Race has nothing to do with that.

Now, when you have a "high roller" preacher up there saying the things he is, #1 of course he's opening himself up for video clips like this. I know better and realize that he doesn't say this stuff all the time, but he wants people to buy into this stuff because it helps him "rule the roost" so to speak. #2, it's all about selling something to people to get them to continue to buy into something that feeds a process. In this case, it's that white people want to keep African-Americans "down". That's poppycock for those that have half a brain. I realize that there are racists among us, but I hope that people like me and most of you out there will overcome that by simply looking at people for what they are... human beings, without any differentiation other then heritage and culture.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 10:54 AM)
Some people on MSNBC are declaring this one of the most IMPORTANT and SUBSTANTIAL speeches on race int he last 40+ years... and they might be right.

i wouldn't disagree... damn... i'm finally legitimately impressed by obama. crap. lol

Judging by the comments I see people making on places like CNN, most of the people talking haven't even bothered to watch or read the speech yet. Which is pretty disappointing and ironic. Ironic that people will say something like "it's just another speech" or "I don't care what he says, blah blah blah" when everything he needed to address hit the nail on the head... but they still want to buy into the headlines and soundbites, and take them at face value.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 11:04 AM)
Judging by the comments I see people making on places like CNN, most of the people talking haven't even bothered to watch or read the speech yet. Which is pretty disappointing and ironic. Ironic that people will say something like "it's just another speech" or "I don't care what he says, blah blah blah" when everything he needed to address hit the nail on the head... but they still want to buy into the headlines and soundbites, and take them at face value.

I just read it... it is a good speech. I would like to watch it (I'm sure it will get linked sometime soon). I'm sure he delivered it well...

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 11:11 AM)
The thing is it's completely and totally blunt and honest. And he talks about both perspectives and how it gets perpetuated and nothing ever changes. He's absolutely right.

"Straight Talk Express" get off the road, you just got owned.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)
For me personally we all have equal opportunity to succeed. Why do African-Americans who live in inner cities rise to the top of their respected professions, when they could just as easily end up in jail? Because someone was there to mentor them. Because someone was there to help them understand that is the American dream, not because some white guy who doesn't know them or their plight are going to keep them right in that socio-economic class. I have friends that are Mexican-American, African-American, Phillopeano-American (spelling), whatever. And they are very successful people. They didn't let the crap that gets spewed about the great white satans knocking them back exist in their minds.

It's sad to me that people get brainwashed into thinking they can't be successful. You have to teach kids that they can do what they want and be successful. You have to reward them for successes and through discipline build them up from failures. Race has nothing to do with that.

Now, when you have a "high roller" preacher up there saying the things he is, #1 of course he's opening himself up for video clips like this. I know better and realize that he doesn't say this stuff all the time, but he wants people to buy into this stuff because it helps him "rule the roost" so to speak. #2, it's all about selling something to people to get them to continue to buy into something that feeds a process. In this case, it's that white people want to keep African-Americans "down". That's poppycock for those that have half a brain. I realize that there are racists among us, but I hope that people like me and most of you out there will overcome that by simply looking at people for what they are... human beings, without any differentiation other then heritage and culture.

Here is the thing - and this is going to sound convoluted, but I think its key. I would agree that for the most part, being of a minority race is not in itself a huge detractor for an individual to succeed in this country. BUT, at the same time, I agree with Obama that there is still a significant issue of racial division in this country. So, how can these two seemingly conflicting facts both be true?

Two things: economics, and education. It is simply reality that blacks and hispanics are much more often living at lower levels of income, and further (and possibly more important), they live in places with crappy schools. Worst of all, those two things tend to be attached to one another (ala Savage Inequalities). And THOSE things are the biggest barriers. So the question shouldn't be framed as, can a black/hispanic/asian/white person succeed. it should be, why, after all these decades, are the economics and education of minorities still so disparately different than whites? And what can be done about those things?

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 11:19 AM)
Here is the thing - and this is going to sound convoluted, but I think its key. I would agree that for the most part, being of a minority race is not in itself a huge detractor for an individual to succeed in this country. BUT, at the same time, I agree with Obama that there is still a significant issue of racial division in this country. So, how can these two seemingly conflicting facts both be true?

Two things: economics, and education. It is simply reality that blacks and hispanics are much more often living at lower levels of income, and further (and possibly more important), they live in places with crappy schools. Worst of all, those two things tend to be attached to one another (ala Savage Inequalities). And THOSE things are the biggest barriers. So the question shouldn't be framed as, can a black/hispanic/asian/white person succeed. it should be, why, after all these decades, are the economics and education of minorities still so disparately different than whites? And what can be done about those things?

No, I totally agree with that. I've seen it, I've lived it. The town I'm from in Indiana isn't exactly white, but it's not as bad as some. Economically, it's horrible. I've seen what it's like, and I was lucky that I was able to obtain my education and get out of it. How DO we overcome that? But see, I sat in the same classrooms in a predominately African American high school... and learned from the same teachers. Why do I embrace things, that other kids don't? It starts at home. I think that's why Obama is ringing a tone... because he actually comes across as talking to those people. Now, I personally don't think he is, he's just found a topic that resonates.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 11:03 AM)

And I think that's essentially what Obama says in the speech and has always said. The two of you don't really disagree. I'm also impressed that he didn't completely throw Wright under the bus, and I think I overreacted to the issue personally. While I liked the speech I hope it has a positive effect on his campaign, and I'm not sure if it will. *fingers crossed