Obama's Pastor

Controlled Chaos

QUOTE(KipWellsFan @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:10 PM)
And I think that's essentially what Obama says in the speech and has always said. The two of you don't really disagree. I'm also impressed that he didn't completely throw Wright under the bus, and I think I overreacted to the issue personally. While I liked the speech I hope it has a positive effect on his campaign, and I'm not sure if it will. *fingers crossed

Maybe I should be a politician. :D

Man, what is it? I'm agreeing with all you 'libs' today... :lol:

Seriously, all junk aside that we banter back and forth, most of us aren't that far apart on main issues that confront us. None of us here on this forum (at least I'd like to hope) aren't racist, and really, are looking out for what's best for America (Canada, in your case, Kip). Or hell, throw out the nationality. We're looking for what's best for people. That's all that matters. So we disagree on how we get there sometimes... but I wouldn't want anyone here to be any less successful then I am, in fact, I wish everyone could be at least or more successful. You know why? Because we're all better for it.

Ok, I'm done being all sappy. Back to the snarky Kaperbole. :D

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)

Seriously, all junk aside that we banter back and forth, most of us aren't that far apart on main issues that confront us. None of us here on this forum (at least I'd like to hope) aren't racist, and really, are looking out for what's best for America (Canada, in your case, Kip). Or hell, throw out the nationality. We're looking for what's best for people. That's all that matters. So we disagree on how we get there sometimes... but I wouldn't want anyone here to be any less successful then I am, in fact, I wish everyone could be at least or more successful. You know why? Because we're all better for it.

Easy there Obama...

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 11:27 AM)

Am I reading this wrong, or did you use a double-negative there and assert essentially that all of us are racists? Was that a deliberate point that I'm somehow just not understanding?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)
Am I reading this wrong, or did you use a double-negative there and assert essentially that all of us are racists? Was that a deliberate point that I'm somehow just not understanding?

Noooo... I just typo'd it. We're NOT racist was the point. Ooops. :D For once, I was being nice. I wasn't meaning to sound like Obama, but apparently I do. I just can't work a room like he can. :lol:

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:38 PM)

What he meant to say was "That I know of..."

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
Noooo... I just typo'd it. We're NOT racist was the point. Ooops. :D For once, I was being nice. I wasn't meaning to sound like Obama, but apparently I do. I just can't work a room like he can. :lol:

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 01:27 PM)

"What the world needs now is love, sweet love" - Barry Manilow.

Edited by GoSox05

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 02:43 PM)

I think that comment exposed you as a closet racist. You've just been outed. No sense hiding it now.

btw, open-ended question: which one is the correct shade of green?

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 03:13 PM)
I think that comment exposed you as a closet racist. You've just been outed. No sense hiding it now.

btw, open-ended question: which one is the correct shade of green?

This is the only acceptable shade of green, because it's the one I use. Friggin idiot...

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
This is the only acceptable shade of green, because it's the one I use. Friggin idiot...

OMG WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM!? THIS IS THE CORRECT GREEN

Edited by mr_genius

I just watched the speech over lunch. It wasn't just a really good speech - it was more than that. It was mostly not flowery or rah-rah like his stump speeches are. It was direct, made some really great points, and shied away from nothing.

Its worth watching, for anyone here. Seriously.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
That's not the color, that's the force of my insight. You are quite welcome.

:notworthy

Awesome.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 02:26 PM)
I just watched the speech over lunch. It wasn't just a really good speech - it was more than that. It was mostly not flowery or rah-rah like his stump speeches are. It was direct, made some really great points, and shied away from nothing.

Its worth watching, for anyone here. Seriously.

:notworthy

Awesome.

I'll watch it later tonight when I get home (if I get to go home... :crying )

I havent really commented on the speech. So, I thought I might take a moment to flesh out my thoughts.

I think the speech was outstanding. At the end I had a tear in my eye. He was frank and laid everything out on the table. He looked at it from the black perspective AND the white perspective. It was very refreshing to see someone stand up and say in a clear, calm, straight forward voice what the issues are in the country in regards to race. It was refreshing to see a PRESIDENTIAL candidate stand up and say it. It's never been done before.

His frankness on Rezko and Wright and the racial situation in America is what makes me believe he is the right person to be the next president of the United States. I want a president who is going to speak frankly and truthfully about issues. not try and use political talk. I want a president who isnt afraid to say "yes, our economy sucks right now. It wont be easy. you need to make sacrifices." I respect that in a man.

Barack, you, sir, have my respect and support.

And why has he not been as frank until now? Is he only frank when it is politically expedient to do so? I'll watch the speech later, as I have questions, but I'll hold them in case he actually answers them. or gives me more questions.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)
And why has he not been as frank until now? Is he only frank when it is politically expedient to do so? I'll watch the speech later, as I have questions, but I'll hold them in case he actually answers them. or gives me more questions.

He has been. I've been saying for a while, relative to the other candidates in either party, I think Obama is by far the most forthright. This is no different.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 04:58 PM)
He has been. I've been saying for a while, relative to the other candidates in either party, I think Obama is by far the most forthright. This is no different.

McCain really isn't so bad either IMO, but compared to... say... Hillary? Oh god yes.

He only hasn't been frank if that's what you're trying to make yourself believe. You have to cherry-pick to support that.

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)

I think so too. When he sat down over the weekend to talk Rezko, everyone was like "wow. he was open. he's never told us some of this before. how frank."

The problem was that he has been. It just has been in parts over time, not in a single sitting or speech.

On his race speech today, he was frank because he HAD to be. The clinton campaign and Fox has tried covertly to make him balck when he ran as just an american in IA and NH. SC made him "black". So, he needed to address it.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 04:03 PM)
One of the guys @ the Atlantic (usually pretty good place) is claiming that Obama wrote the whole speech himself, no speechwriters.

I can believe that. People dont give him enough credit for his oratory skills. When he has a chance to sit down and think, he can blow anyone out of the water. he as not as good when he "thinks on his feet", but when he can think, meditate, and revise.. he is one of the best.

Compare this to GWB who even WITH speech writers sounds like a bumbling idiot.

You have to wonder what Clinton will do. She claims to have not watched the speech yet, which strikes me as a mistake. She also may make her own speech:

Clinton appeared to entertain the idea of making her own speech on these issues, but repeated that she would not agree to make a similar speech until she had viewed the one he made today, also in Philadelphia.

which strikes me as an even bigger mistake.

http://www.cbsnews.com/blogs/2008/03/18/po...ry3948776.shtml

Add in the news that Florida apparently won't revote, and Hillary's all of a sudden much worse off than yesterday. Which I didn't really think possible, but there it is.