Obama's Pastor

Controlled Chaos

BTW we haven't taken this turn in the conversation yet and it didn't occur to me earlier but it needs to be said - a lot more of black problems, as a race, are self-inflicted than some care to admit and they should be thinking about that before they start thinking about who to blame or what people think of them. That isn't what started this whole mess but in theory it should be the easiest thing to fix. At least simple things like "get up off your ass and go do something." Other things, like "I got robbed on the way to the store b/c my neighborhood sucks and I can't afford to move out" or "the schools around here are pathetic" you can't do anything about.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 02:21 PM)
Best Line:

"There is no reason to believe that today’s African Americans would be better off if their ancestors had remained behind in Africa."

See? We did them a FAVOR! *gags*

Pat Buchanan's most recent column...

Barack says we need to have a conversation about race in America.

Fair enough. But this time, it has to be a two-way conversation. White America needs to be heard from, not just lectured to.

This time, the Silent Majority needs to have its convictions, grievances and demands heard. And among them are these:

First, America has been the best country on earth for black folks. It was here that 600,000 black people, brought from Africa in slave ships, grew into a community of 40 million, were introduced to Christian salvation, and reached the greatest levels of freedom and prosperity blacks have ever known.

Wright ought to go down on his knees and thank God he is an American.

Second, no people anywhere has done more to lift up blacks than white Americans. Untold trillions have been spent since the ’60s on welfare, food stamps, rent supplements, Section 8 housing, Pell grants, student loans, legal services, Medicaid, Earned Income Tax Credits and poverty programs designed to bring the African-American community into the mainstream.

Governments, businesses and colleges have engaged in discrimination against white folks — with affirmative action, contract set-asides and quotas — to advance black applicants over white applicants.

Churches, foundations, civic groups, schools and individuals all over America have donated time and money to support soup kitchens, adult education, day care, retirement and nursing homes for blacks.

We hear the grievances. Where is the gratitude?

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 12:46 PM)
Why? Mike Huckabee seems to be at least a decent person.

His politics scared me a bit, but I said during his candidacy that I liked the postivism he brought to the table. He and Obama both excel at that - not falling as far into the muck and mire.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
Why? Mike Huckabee seems to be at least a decent person.

Yes. Huckabee was the cream of the crop on the Democrat side. I didn't think so at first, but I'd probably vote for him over McCain.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 11:59 AM)
I just find it odd that a Republican can defend Obama but Clinton just keeps trying to rip the party apart.

yep ... I totally effed up on that one. Guilty as charged.

But I can admit when when I'm wrong.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)
Clinton keeping Reverend Wright in the headlines. I find it funny that Mike Huckabee defended Obama but Clinton keeps trying to drag him through the mud.

Well, there's another potential way to look at the pastor/Huckabee issue...specifically, Huckabee still appears to have ambitions within that party and could easily be setting himself up for a VP slot or a run in 2012 or a run for some other position, and he is a former preacher himself...who by the way never released more than a few of his sermons from his time as a pastor.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 05:59 PM)
I just find it odd that a Republican can defend Obama but Clinton just keeps trying to rip the party apart.

well, from her standpoint it's really her only chance of winning. i don't agree with the approach, but it's her last bullet.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)

When you look at who is involved... It doesn't surprise me at all. Hillary would run over Chelsea if it meant getting elected President.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 25, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
I heard recently that Obama's poll ratings have recovered since this story broke, and are now actually higher then ever... any truth to this?

I think someone posted that recently, maybe even me, I don't recall. But yes, his numbers recovered on a national basis, it would seem.