What qualities do you look for in a gym/fitness center?

shipps

I just joined a gym in the south loop and Iam very pleased with it.There is free parking(downtown its great to have),there is more than enough equipment for everyone but not so much you get lost in a sea of it,and the locker room is prestine.This gym also has services like racketball,towel service,basketball court,swimming pool,yoga sessions,and a big seperate area for your kids.Although I may never use any of these other things it sold me on joining just to know I have those kind of options.

Edited by shipps

QUOTE(shipps @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
I just joined a gym in the south loop and Iam very pleased with it.There is free parking(downtown its great to have),there is more than enough equipment for everyone but not so much you get lost in a sea of it,and the locker room is prestine.This gym also has services like raquetball,towel service,basketball court,swimming pool,yoga sessions,and a big seperate area for your kids.Although I may never use any of these other things it sold me on joining just to know I have those kind of options.

Sounds like what I belong to now.

I belonged to Bally's for the longest time. However when I moved to Downers there was no Bally's close to me, so I started to look around. After a while we went with what is probably one of the more expensive options and the at is Lifetime Fitness in Burr Ridge. Comparing what I had at Bally's to what I have at lifetime is impossible. Bally's was cheaper, but when I got to lifetime it feels like a country club. To me its money well spent. Its very family oriented as they have a childrens area, and they have kids hours for the pool and such.

Pools ( 4 lane lap pool, indoor zero depth pool with a indoor 2 tube water slide, outdoor pool )

One of the largest cardio equipment areas I have seen. All have large TVs with individual FM requencies so you can tune in to what you want.

Massage Service ( for a fee)

Sandwich shop

Nice Free weights, plus large indexed by body part workout machines. They have a row for abs, a row for arms, a row for legs.

Rock Climbing wall

2 large basketball courts, racketball, etc.

Considering I spent 2 hours there a day its important that I have a place that I like and my family likes.

Edited by southsideirish71

My gym has more than enough of the right equipment and weights. The thing I like about my gym is that I am comfortable socially there. I'm insecure to a point where if I didn't know anyone, I would have trouble working out. Everyone knows each other and it is almost a social gathering everyday.

I used to go to Lifetime and as someone else said that place is incredible. I would love to keep going there but there isnt one by me so I go to the Elmhurst Park District which has a nice facility and its right down the street from my house. My main concern is a nice sized section of free weights

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 04:10 PM)
I used to go to Lifetime and as someone else said that place is incredible. I would love to keep going there but there isnt one by me so I go to the Elmhurst Park District which has a nice facility and its right down the street from my house. My main concern is a nice sized section of free weights

The X-Sport in Lombard is good, nice section of free weights. It looks like they're opening one up on 83 and North, might want to look into that

Man lol, I immediately saw the title 'What qualities do you look for in' and figured it had to do with girls just from quick glance.

In turn I thought well fit.

Then I scrolled up to copy other attributes previous posters used and there and then realized I missed the point.

I suppose I would look for a gym where hot/fit girls work out though.

:D

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 07:41 AM)
Anyone know of a good gym with a pool in the Woodridge/ Downers Grove area? I'd love to start swimming, and the HS only has one night of lap swimming a week.

Isnt there one by ogden and belmont? Didnt they build a new rec center with a pool. If not I would check into the health center at Good Sam or the one by seven bridges.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 18, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)
The X-Sport in Lombard is good, nice section of free weights. It looks like they're opening one up on 83 and North, might want to look into that

Ya theyve been building that one on 83 and North Ave for a while. The Elmhurst park district gym has grown on me though.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 10:11 PM)
Anyone have any experience w/ Gold's Gym? There is a huge brand new one not too far from my house.

Yeah, I used to work at one. The company has a pretty good reputation, although I wouldn't say the one I worked at wasn't up to par compared to others i've been to and heard of. The biggest promblem was there were too many owners (5) trying to make money off of not enough people.