Crede likely to start on opening day

DBAHO

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Based on the way he's being looked at going into this season compared to the way he's pitched the last two seasons (although he was a lot better last year), I'd say he is. And Buehrle might be my favorite player, but he's a #3 starter right now on a good team, and is regarded as a 1 and a half but a lot of people.

HAHAHA...there might be ten teams Buehrle wouldn't be the #1. He's one of the most UNDERRATED players in baseball.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 05:05 PM)
It's pointless to keep going round and round, but you realize the only reason "your guy" Joe is still here is because the Sox can't find anyone to give them anything of value for him. If any GM was foolish enough to trade away a quality player for Joe, he would be long gone.

Just something to think about.

And the only reason "your guy" Josh is here is because Dombrowski was willing to give up Maybin and take Dontrelle Willis. Mark Buerhle was quoted the other day as saying he wants Crede playing 3rd. I'm sure most if not the entire pitching staff feels the same. While we hear how terrible Crede is, what besides hitting a few homers, has Josh Fields proven? Lets face it, there are question marks for both players.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 06:39 PM)
And the only reason "your guy" Josh is here is because Dombrowski was willing to give up Maybin and take Dontrelle Willis. Mark Buerhle was quoted the other day as saying he wants Crede playing 3rd. I'm sure most if not the entire pitching staff feels the same. While we hear how terrible Crede is, what besides hitting a few homers, has Josh Fields proven? Lets face it, there are question marks for both players.

I don't think anyone is denying that Fields isn't perfect, hes far from it. Obviously, everyone has their flaws (e.g. A-Rod in the playoffs), but the general theory here is that this team is only going to get better if Fields is playing. We need to give our young guys a chance, and theres less of a risk with Fields than Crede. His back is a mess, and he's extremely inconsistent at the plate.

In my opinion, we need to end the Crede era and let the Fields era begin. It's truly what is best for this team, in my opinion.

Edited by TitoMB345

Maybe the Sox think that by getting rid of Uribe (and his offensive weaknesses), they can afford to have Crede in the lineup now, because they will have upgraded at 2B from Ramirez (most likely, maybe Roberts who knows).

Crede's obviously the better defender, and they want to help the pitching staff as much as possible.

Best case scenario out of all of this, unless we can still move Joe, is that Crede gets hot early, and if a team desperately needs a third baseman, we can move Crede for a more adequate package.

Or, Crede could fire Bora$$ and re-sign with the Sox, and then KW goes and ships Fields off for Linecum or something. Just throwing it out there for discussions sake.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 05:42 PM)
I don't think anyone is denying that Fields isn't perfect, hes far from it. Obviously, everyone has their flaws (e.g. A-Rod in the playoffs), but the general theory here is that this team is only going to get better if Fields is playing. We need to give our young guys a chance, and theres less of a risk with Fields than Crede. His back is a mess, and he's extremely inconsistent at the plate.

In my opinion, we need to end the Crede era and let the Fields era begin. It's truly what is best for this team, in my opinion.

I don't think this is the case anymore as a result of the surgery he had last season.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:11 PM)
Number 3 starters with 3.63 era's in the AL are all over the place.

Uh, I'm going to assume that was supposed to be a green comment. Because in 2007, based on ERA, Buehrle would have only been a #3 on 2 AL teams, which would have been the Angels and Indians. And on all but 6 teams, Buehrle would have been the ace in 2007. Again, this is based on ERA.

The durability and quiet leadership that Mark brings to our club is extremely underrated, and I think most people with baseball smarts know this.

QUOTE(lvjeremylv @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 11:38 PM)
Uh, I'm going to assume that was supposed to be a green comment. Because in 2007, based on ERA, Buehrle would have only been a #3 on 2 AL teams, which would have been the Angels and Indians. And on all but 6 teams, Buehrle would have been the ace in 2007. Again, this is based on ERA.

The durability and quiet leadership that Mark brings to our club is extremely underrated, and I think most people with baseball smarts know this.

Rowand's comment was so over-the-top in response to the idea that Buerhle is a #3 at best that it didn't require green.

Giants still do not have a starting 3B. They will have to do something by Opening Day.

Bocock, who will sub for rehabbing shortstop Omar Vizquel in early April, the Giants could feature a left side that doesn't have a single game of experience above Single-A.

More likely, the Giants will trade for a third baseman such as Brandon Inge, Joe Crede or Wes Helms - Sabean said he has engaged in conversations about third basemen over the past two days - or go with some combination of Frandsen and Velez.

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_8635371

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 01:01 PM)
Giants still do not have a starting 3B. They will have to do something by Opening Day.

http://www.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_8635371

Well if all the Giants are offering for Crede is Dave Roberts, they won't be making a deal with us. And I don't see the Tigers giving away Inge, either. Of course Inge has a pretty big contract, but I'm almost certain if the Giants deal for him, they'll expect Detroit to pick up a large portion of that contract.

The Giants are going to be hideous no matter who they have at 3B, so I don't really see them giving up much talent in order to fill that position. They could have A-Rod or David Wright playing third base and they'd still finish last in that division, so it really is irrelevant. Plus with Crede being a free agent after 2008, I REALLY don't see them giving up much to get a rental player in a year that they're going to finish last.

QUOTE(flavum @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 02:07 PM)
Anyone else out there who doesn't really give a crap what they get for Crede? I want him traded. I want him traded now.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 02:16 PM)
f*** that.

I want him starting. I want him starting now.

I luv it when you analyze, Soxtalk. :lol:

I think the Sox have a chance to be pretty good this year----with Josh Fields.

I'm not denying Crede is a much better defensive player, but Fields is ok.

If they keep Crede, I think it's just a distraction to the team until something happens.

If it's inevitable that Crede is getting traded, I'd rather it be before next Thursday.

QUOTE(flavum @ Mar 20, 2008 -> 12:22 PM)
I think the Sox have a chance to be pretty good this year----with Josh Fields.

I'm not denying Crede is a much better defensive player, but Fields is ok.

If they keep Crede, I think it's just a distraction to the team until something happens.

If it's inevitable that Crede is getting traded, I'd rather it be before next Thursday.

I just want the best player playing everyday. If that is Crede with Fields in AAA, so be it. If that is Fields with Crede traded for whatever we can get, so be it.

Also, is having a surplus of players actually a bad thing? I mean last year we were at a point where we had Pods, Erstad, and Gonzalez on the 25 man roster and playing regularly. That was pretty bad.

Well obviously the plan is for Crede to play, and the Sox dump him by the deadline.

I agree that this situation hasn't been that well handled though.

And if there's an injury, Fields will surely get an opportunity.

And he can work on some things in AAA (e.g making he makes better contact, walks more and strikes out less)

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 06:45 AM)
And he can work on some things in AAA (e.g making he makes better contact, walks more and strikes out less)

I think that's pretty much always true of every young major leaguer. That doesn't make sending them to the minors a good idea, especially when this team's mantra is that we will win games this year and Fields is our best third basemen.