Juan Uribe Placed on Waivers

flavum

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
Other things I would rather do with the 4.1 million dollars.

I would of rather have taken some of that monopoly money and used it to spice our slot allocation for the 08 draft. I would of rather have used it for an international signing. Used it to go over on a few guys later in the draft to entice from going to college.

Money might not be a lot in the long run, but with our organization 4 mill is still 4 mill.

I see your point, but it's possible that the Sox just flat out realized they made a mistake in resigning Uribe and instead of compounding the mistake they are just cutting bait and bailing

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
Well of course you are correct there, but people here are just panicking about the Crede/Fields thing because starting Joe and sending Fields to AAA is exactly the type of thing our organization would do.

As for a Roberts trade......this does point towards that, but what the hell can we give them? We have nothing.

For us to beat the offer of any competing team, it'd have to include atleast one of: Jenks, Danks, Fields. How else could we possibly meet their demands without giving up 5/6 mediocre players?

Wow. Just watching Ramirez in the first inning against Colorado, he battled for quite awhile before hitting a HR into LF. I love this guy's bat speed. The White Sox must love quite a bit of him, as well. It's ridiculous how he's able to turn on inside pitches.

QUOTE(JoeCoolMan24 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:19 PM)
I was thinking somewhere along the lines of....

Anderson/Owens/Quentin (one of them) along with Richar, Masset, and Broadway.

Waaaay too much. You know, the White Sox, if they personally like someone, tries to do right by them. Perhaps no one wanted Uribe...or they were going to put him in a super sub role, which he didn't want. So, they give Uribe and his agent the opportunity to find a starting role with all 29 teams instead of the one or two that MAY have traded for Uribe as a supersub.

I think Ramirez is the front runner with Richar going to AAA.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:15 PM)
Well of course you are correct there, but people here are just panicking about the Crede/Fields thing because starting Joe and sending Fields to AAA is exactly the type of thing our organization would do.

As for a Roberts trade......this does point towards that, but what the hell can we give them? We have nothing.

They could trade Fields, Egbert, and Broadway for Roberts. The Orioles might go for that. But I think the Sox are happy with Owens at leadoff....

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
For us to beat the offer of any competing team, it'd have to include atleast one of: Jenks, Danks, Fields. How else could we possibly meet their demands without giving up 5/6 mediocre players?

Wow. Just watching Ramirez in the first inning against Colorado, he battled for quite awhile before hitting a HR into LF. I love this guy's bat speed. The White Sox must love quite a bit of him, as well. It's ridiculous how he's able to turn on inside pitches.

Flash, what offers have you heard for Roberts? I really haven't heard any other than the Cubs rumored one.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 01:25 PM)
What about Ozuna to leadoff and Alexi to fill the Ozuna role?

Ozuna is a bad option as a leadoff hitter because he's so impatient. He's too aggressive and doesn't take pitches. He's also pretty one-sided, although his numbers in 06 didn't show it for the last 3 years against right handed pitching he's hit .268 with a .315 OBP. Overall for the last 3 years his OBP is .329, and that's way too low for a solid leadoff hitter on a power team.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:25 PM)
I see your point, but it's possible that the Sox just flat out realized they made a mistake in resigning Uribe and instead of compounding the mistake they are just cutting bait and bailing

I commend them for it. Easier to make room for Uribe than designate him for assignment. Atleast from a perspective of Williams swallowing his pride. I would say Uribe at second base atleast made a bit of sense, considering the relative inexperience of Ramirez and Richar.

Next step is trading Crede.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
I think we might see an Anderson/MacDougal trade for Ellis or Anderson for J. Barfield.

i want nothing to do with barfield or to trade a guy like anderson to a division rival

QUOTE(AWhiteSoxinNJ @ Mar 19, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
Wake me up when its official.

From Mark Gonzalez on ChicagoSports.com

"Uribe waived, another second baseman coming?

By Mark Gonzales, 3:18 p.m.

TUCSON, Ariz. -- The White Sox placed infielder Juan Uribe on waivers Wednesday, according to a major-league scout.

If Uribe is not claimed by another team in 72 hours, the Sox will have to release him and be obligated to pay his $4.5 million salary for 2007.

The news came after a lengthy meeting of the Sox staff Wednesday morning. Uribe was batting .333 and had a six-game hitting streak.

The move raises the possibility of the Sox acquiring a second baseman. Although Brian Roberts has been mentioned as a trade possibility, the Sox could be looking at another second baseman despite Baltimore's need for a shortstop. One possibility is Oakland's Mark Ellis.

An Orioles source said Wednesday the club's baseball staff wants to deal Roberts to fortify its entire system but has been held up by owner Peter Angelos, who is said to be fond of Roberts.

Uribe participated in morning drills and was playing dominoes with teammates before the clubhouse was closed ahead of Wednesday's game with Colorado.

Second baseman Danny Richar was scratched from the lineup because of back pain. Alexei Ramirez has impressed the Sox staff in his first spring training but is considered raw defensively.

The Sox, in accordance with major league rules, cannot comment on which players are on waivers.

Uribe moved to second after the Sox acquired Orlando Cabrera this off-season."