Brian Anderson

DaTank

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Brian Anderson. I watched him hit 2 HRs off Felix, and thought he was the next big thing and then some. He still could be - he has a ton of natural talent, and his defense is top notch. But he needs to learn how to handle anything inside. Big time.

Edited by dwalteroo

My conclusion from this spring is: While I am not fond of Brian Anderson and I don't think he is much, he is worlds better then Owens. Owens sometimes makes the great diving catch laying out, but he still doesn't know how to read fly balls, and I am almost positive I have a stronger arm then him. In the 1st inning of the game vs. SF, he horribly misplayed what should of been an out, and turned it into a triple, and when throwing it in, he tossed a rainbow to the cutoff man. And even on his diving catch, he almost blew the DP by throwing away the ball. He couldn't get the ball from where he was standing to 2B on a straight line from no more then 100 ft. at the most. Plus, he has no f***ing clue what he's doing up there at bat, and has the worst swing on the team. Vazquez has a better swing and approach then Owens does.

Owens should not be anything more then a pinch runner in the majors, if that. Right now Brian Anderson is our best option at CF.

QUOTE(dwalteroo @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)
I like Brian Anderson. I watched him hit 2 HRs off Felix, and thought he was the next big thing and then some. He still could be - he has a ton of natural talent, and his defense is top notch. But he needs to learn how to handle anything inside. Big time.

well, last year he couldn't hit anything inside because for some dumbass reason he was standing straight up at bat, with no bend, and right on top of the plate.

Interesting words from KW about BA's struggles before;

Williams isn't as surprised by the rebirth of outfielder Brian Anderson, based on his observations in the minors and before Anderson suffered a left hand injury.

"It's the difference between being able to hold onto the bat and get it through the zone," Williams said. "He still needs to do a better job on the breaking ball on the outer portion of the plate and still remain aggressive to hit the fastball, but all it does is make our '08 picture a bit better."

Doesn't that just sound like Aaron Rowand?

QUOTE(dwalteroo @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 12:52 AM)

His swing is 100 percent different from that game now as well. He's a much stronger hitter IMO, and his bat stays in the zone longer and has more power to the gaps.

I cant tell if Brian is any better than he always was. He looks to be a LOT better at seeing whats a ball and whats a strike, but jesus, he still takes those terrible hacks at low breaking pitches, and he makes some ugly swings at some other junk as well. It's good to see his eye has improved though, and this will force pitchers to throw better pitches over the plate, and he will get more to hammer.

Ozzie better keep his damn personal feelings he has for Brian out of it.If Brian does well it will help the organization,bottom line.If Oz was a professional about the BA situation from the start instead of bad mouthing him,his stock would have never had dropped so rapidly to begin with and we could have got something for him already.Use the company lines regarding players,talk them up it will only help you.But it would make for a boring interview so why would Ozzie want to do that,huh?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 02:15 AM)
Plus, he has no f***ing clue what he's doing up there at bat, and has the worst swing on the team. Vazquez has a better swing and approach then Owens does.

Owens should not be anything more then a pinch runner in the majors, if that.

Wow, tell us how you really feel.... Oh, and by the way, Owens is hitting .375 this spring. Say what you want that they are Arizona-inflated #'s, then you can say the same about Anderson. And if Owens has "no f***ing clue" and has a worse "swing and approach" than Javier Vazquez (classic line), then man, Kenny and Ozzie must be complete morons to be considering him as the starting CF. Based on what you're saying, they should be fired tomorrow. Maybe sooner.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 03:46 PM)
Wow, tell us how you really feel.... Oh, and by the way, Owens is hitting .375 this spring. Say what you want that they are Arizona-inflated #'s, then you can say the same about Anderson.

How many games has Owens actually played in? 5? How many has Anderson played in? Most of them.

anderson 2 for 2 today as well....id certainly rather give him more playing time than owens....anderson has also walked quite a bit this spring and has shown power which we know owens has absolutely none of

I think Anderson gets in a comfort zone when he plays in the state of Arizona, where he is from.

When he gets in the big stadiums, in cold weather, I expect him to fail again.

I'm rooting for the guy, but he's going to have to do it in April for me to believe he's turned a corner.

Problem that will show up with Brian is his streakiness. He will make the team as the backup outfielder and play once or twice a week, which will make it impossible for him to get in a groove. Some players can hit no matter how much or little they play, see Pablo Ozuna, and some need lots of PT, Brian's case. He is a better all-around player than Owens for sure, but Owens speed is going to give him the edge from Ozzie. Watch Brian get little PT and struggle and soon be back in the doghouse.

QUOTE(flavum @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
I think Anderson gets in a comfort zone when he plays in the state of Arizona, where he is from.

When he gets in the big stadiums, in cold weather, I expect him to fail again.

I'm rooting for the guy, but he's going to have to do it in April for me to believe he's turned a corner.

Heres the thing, his swing is totally different that it was, and so is his approach.

QUOTE(jenks45monster @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 03:58 PM)
How many games has Owens actually played in? 5? How many has Anderson played in? Most of them.

Um, no. More than that.

Listen, I'm rooting for Anderson to win the job. He's the best defensive CF we have, and has the most upside. But let's be honest, he's teased us before. I'm just bracing myself for it.

And I also don't understand the absolute hatred on this board for Owens. I think the guy can be a solid 4th OF for us - and even a solid starting CF if Anderson blows it again. Yes, he still has a lot to prove, but he's shown improvement both at the plate and in the field. It just makes no sense to me why he gets absolutely killed around here.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Um, no. More than that.

Listen, I'm rooting for Anderson to win the job. He's the best defensive CF we have, and has the most upside. But let's be honest, he's teased us before. I'm just bracing myself for it.

And I also don't understand the absolute hatred on this board for Owens. I think the guy can be a solid 4th OF for us - and even a solid starting CF if Anderson blows it again. Yes, he still has a lot to prove, but he's shown improvement both at the plate and in the field. It just makes no sense to me why he gets absolutely killed around here.

Owens was hurt most of ST, remember? And I don't hate Owens. I just think with the improvements Anderson is showing, he can be better for the job right now.

QUOTE(FlaCWS @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 06:59 PM)
Um, no. More than that.

It's not a hatred, it's just that Owens is not a centerfielder. Not a good one, anyways.