Brian Anderson

DaTank

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 12:00 AM)
Even a world track speed star can generally only get from 1st to 3rd on a single. And a lot of the time, even slow players can get from 2nd to home on a single.

That's what that extra base does.

Jerry Owens is overrated and should be a 4th OFer at best, and while his speed is nice, it labels him as a leadoff hitter in Ozzie's mind for some reason.

bwahaha overrated by who? Ozzie I guess. But how can you be overrated when so many people are saying you suck?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune....ys-develop.html

Still no guarantee that Anderson makes the opening day roster. It's amazing the bulls*** that comes out of the mouth of some of the Sox decision makers.

Maybe they feel like when a position was guaranteed to Brian that he didnt focus or perform well enough, and now that he's battling he is really stepping up and they want to keep him in that frame of mind.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 06:06 PM)
after seeing Brian Anderson the past couple of days, he can become a decent player. He fixed his stance and swing, and it has worked wonders for him. The funny thing is, why didn't anyone tell within the organization tell him this 2 years ago?

I'm no BA fan boy, but he is our best option in CF, and he can be decent if he continues to learn. If we're lucky, I think he can turn into a lesser version of Mike Cameron within a year or two. But that is dependent on if he has really matured and is willing to spend a good majority of his time just focusing on baseball.

Wow. I think you have missed the last 3 seasons worth of controversy surrounding Brian Anderson. The problem has always been his attitude. That has what has caused all of the controversy is that he wouldn't listen to instruction. That is why everyone else is so excited that his attitude seems to have changed, because his potential is still there for him to be a $13 million per year CF, for about $500,000 a season.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 08:39 AM)
That may be how it has to be.

That, or hope that Owens flat out sucks in April. I really would love Anderson in CF, even if it means an unconventional lineup, because with Anderson in CF, a ton of pieces for this team fall into place. If Owens is in CF, I'm not a huge fan of the team.

You've said it perfectly. Jerry Owens is not a major league OF while Brian Anderson is. With this pitching staff, this team needs all the defense it can get and Owens' noodle arm and poor routes to the ball will overshadow any offense he gives.

One of the jobs of a manager is to deal with different personalities, even with difficult ones at times. You aren't always surrounded by yes men. Ozzie's answer to a difficult young player is to throw him off the team. Ozzie's so easy to get along with himself.

At this point, some of the blame has to go to Williams; he knows Ozzie stubbornly wants speed atop the lineup; nevertheless, he never got Ozzie a good speedy leadoff man. It's no suprise that Ozzie will play an inferior talent like Owens simply to get that speed...look what he did with Erstad last year. Williams has to step in and take these bad hitters away from him.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)
One of the jobs of a manager is to deal with different personalities, even with difficult ones at times. You aren't always surrounded by yes men. Ozzie's answer to a difficult young player is to throw him off the team. Ozzie's so easy to get along with himself.

You sound like you may have actually had to manage employees at some point.

QUOTE(GreenSox @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:54 AM)

At this point, some of the blame has to go to Williams; he knows Ozzie stubbornly wants speed atop the lineup; nevertheless, he never got Ozzie a good speedy leadoff man. It's no suprise that Ozzie will play an inferior talent like Owens simply to get that speed...look what he did with Erstad last year. Williams has to step in and take these bad hitters away from him.

Ozzie has gotten along just fine with players who have a history of being difficult. Look no further than guys like AJ and Carl Everett. Its the guys who won't listen to instruction that he has a problem with. There is a big difference between the two. As long as guys who are willing to go out and do their jobs the way that they are told, you don't hear waves from the Sox team. Its just like any job, the people who listen and work hard are the ones who are favored. The ones who don't listen and cause problems are the ones who get canned.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
Ozzie has gotten along just fine with players who have a history of being difficult. Look no further than guys like AJ and Carl Everett. Its the guys who won't listen to instruction that he has a problem with. There is a big difference between the two. As long as guys who are willing to go out and do their jobs the way that they are told, you don't hear waves from the Sox team. Its just like any job, the people who listen and work hard are the ones who are favored. The ones who don't listen and cause problems are the ones who get canned.

This is because he's intimidated by outspoken players like these 2. Players like Anderson, Garland etc who are less inclined to tell him to shut up are ones he bullies.

Ozzie may not be perfect, but I find it interesting (disappointing?) that so many people do not want to hold Brian Anderson accountable for his own actions (performance, behavior, and attitude). If he had been above average on one of those three items, none of this discussion would be happening. The two things under his control: behavior and attitude; it is his responsibility to take his job seriously.

The great thing about this Spring Training is that BA seems to be finally excelling at all three. That speaks highly of his maturation and emotional intelligence. If it continues, it'll be a great win-win for the Sox and Anderson. If not, I'm sure some will find a way to blame it on someone else.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)
Ozzie may not be perfect, but I find it interesting (disappointing?) that so many people do not want to hold Brian Anderson accountable for his own actions (performance, behavior, and attitude). If he had been above average on one of those three items, none of this discussion would be happening. The two things under his control: behavior and attitude; it is his responsibility to take his job seriously.

The great thing about this Spring Training is that BA seems to be finally excelling at all three. That speaks highly of his maturation and emotional intelligence. If it continues, it'll be a great win-win for the Sox and Anderson. If not, I'm sure some will find a way to blame it on someone else.

He's already been held accountable for his actions. In fact, other than Sean Tracy, I'm not sure I can think of a guy who's been held more accountable for his actions. How has he not been held accountable?

lol, I hate to have to invoke this comparison again, but saying Brian Anderson has not been held accountable for his actions by the White Sox fanbase is like saying Rex Grossman hasn't been held accountable for his action by the Bears fanbase. I can't think of any single topic that's generated more arguments and discussion outside of winning the WS in '05.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 10:38 AM)

I don't much like the "Blame Ozzie" mentality either. Its not difficult. If you boss asks you to do something, you do it if you value your job. In Anderson's case, this is the difference between his minor league and major league salaries at stake here, not to mention future free agent dollars if he doesn't get his act together.

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
This is because he's intimidated by outspoken players like these 2. Players like Anderson, Garland etc who are less inclined to tell him to shut up are ones he bullies.

I'm sorry, but I don't think Ozzie is intimidated by anyone. During his interview for the managers job, he told KW to go to hell. Intimidated? I think not.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 11:46 AM)
He's already been held accountable for his actions. In fact, other than Sean Tracy, I'm not sure I can think of a guy who's been held more accountable for his actions. How has he not been held accountable?

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 11:51 AM)
lol, I hate to have to invoke this comparison again, but saying Brian Anderson has not been held accountable for his actions by the White Sox fanbase is like saying Rex Grossman hasn't been held accountable for his action by the Bears fanbase. I can't think of any single topic that's generated more arguments and discussion outside of winning the WS in '05.

Some fans have definitely held him accountable; others continue to blame Ozzie, Kenny, and the Wicked Witch of the West for his struggles. Again, the positive side here is that it appears that all is good this Spring, which is good for the Sox and good for fans that want to watch good, winning baseball.

(By the way, I have to be the slowest to 150 posts in history...it only took 5 years!)

Edited by Disco72

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 04:24 PM)
Some fans have definitely held him accountable; others continue to blame Ozzie, Kenny, and the Wicked Witch of the West for his struggles. Again, the positive side here is that it appears that all is good this Spring, which is good for the Sox and good for fans that want to watch good, winning baseball.

(By the way, I have to be the slowest to 150 posts in history...it only took 5 years!)

Well... I still disagree with starting Erstad over Anderson and I'm convinced the end result would've been better than Erstad, not that those numbers would've been difficult to exceed though. For that I blame Ozzie. But yeah otherwise mostly everything else is Anderson's fault, from just plain not putting up the numbers to not being dedicated enough to put in the work to being a b**** and throwing himself pity parties. But it looks like that chapter of his life is over, thankfully.

If there's one thing that has me semi-optimistic about Anderson starting (aside from the obvious he's had an awesome spring) it's that Jerry Owens has all of ONE stolen base this spring. Hopefully that gives Ozzie enough pause to think Owens isn't fully healthy, and therefore worthless.

Someone said it before, but I still believe the only way BA gets more than 2-4 ABs a week is if Owen's hurts his groin pretty badly.. sad.

But I am a huge BA fanboy, so take it for what its worth.

Personally, I can't wait to see his flowing golden locks and huge muscles patrolling CF at the Cell... makes me drool.

;)

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
Someone said it before, but I still believe the only way BA gets more than 2-4 ABs a week is if Owen's hurts his groin pretty badly.. sad.

But I am a huge BA fanboy, so take it for what its worth.

Personally, I can't wait to see his flowing golden locks and huge muscles patrolling CF at the Cell... makes me drool.

;)

Whether Ozzie likes it or not...if BA can actually hit anywhere like he's hitting this spring when the actual show starts...the right decision is to have him playing 4 or 5 days a week, and using the fact that we're strong on OF's and Swisher can play 1b as a way to get Dye, Thome, and Konerko more rest or more days at DH to rest their legs.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 06:30 PM)
If there's one thing that has me semi-optimistic about Anderson starting (aside from the obvious he's had an awesome spring) it's that Jerry Owens has all of ONE stolen base this spring. Hopefully that gives Ozzie enough pause to think Owens isn't fully healthy, and therefore worthless.

The reason he hasn't been stealing bases this spring is b/c he's not going to overexert himself and get hurt trying to steal bases in the spring when he has no reason to prove he can do it.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 06:13 PM)
The reason he hasn't been stealing bases this spring is b/c he's not going to overexert himself and get hurt trying to steal bases in the spring when he has no reason to prove he can do it.

I agree. If he knows that's there, stealing in exibition games is only going to take its toll physically although watching the game yesterday, even though he hit a triple and had a diving catch, he did seem a little gimpy at times.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 06:31 AM)
bwahaha overrated by who? Ozzie I guess. But how can you be overrated when so many people are saying you suck?

By White Sox upper management (which includes Ozzie and the coaching staff). Those are the only people that do overrate him, and they are the people in charge of personnel decisions, which is why I'm a bit upset about the entire situation.

And he's overrated because, as a big leaguer, he HAS sucked and yet he's essentially been handed the leadoff spot given that he can produce a clean bill of health. He's worked his ass off, surely, but Andy Gonzalez worked his ass off too and he was DFA'ed and picked up by Cleveland in the offseason.

That is why he's overrated, and that's why I'm a bit flustered by this whole situation. If Owens had shown any type of power whatsoever to this point in his career, I wouldn't be nearly as upset about the situation, because then the Sox would have a great situation to deal with here. As it is, the best player between Owens and Anderson is likely to ride the bench/be sent to AAA/be dealt.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 08:50 PM)
By White Sox upper management (which includes Ozzie and the coaching staff). Those are the only people that do overrate him, and they are the people in charge of personnel decisions, which is why I'm a bit upset about the entire situation.

And he's overrated because, as a big leaguer, he HAS sucked and yet he's essentially been handed the leadoff spot given that he can produce a clean bill of health. He's worked his ass off, surely, but Andy Gonzalez worked his ass off too and he was DFA'ed and picked up by Cleveland in the offseason.

That is why he's overrated, and that's why I'm a bit flustered by this whole situation. If Owens had shown any type of power whatsoever to this point in his career, I wouldn't be nearly as upset about the situation, because then the Sox would have a great situation to deal with here. As it is, the best player between Owens and Anderson is likely to ride the bench/be sent to AAA/be dealt.

Owens hasn't sucked anywhere near as bad as Gonzalez IMO.

For whatever it's worth, which isn't really a whole lot, Owens's OPS has been above .800 most of this spring, if not all of it. He hasn't been drawing many walks though.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 07:54 PM)
Owens hasn't sucked anywhere near as bad as Gonzalez IMO.

For whatever it's worth, which isn't really a whole lot, Owens's OPS has been above .800 most of this spring, if not all of it. He hasn't been drawing many walks though.

I'm not about to disagree that Owens has sucked less than Gonzalez. He's still sucked. That's the entire argument.

And if he can hit .360 during the course of the year, that'd be amazing; that's why his OPS is over .800, not because he's hitting with much power. If you hit .360, that generally means more balls are finding the gap than normal, and you are going to get more extra bases out of it. Whoop-dee-s***. I'd bet about everything I'm worth that he's not going to hit .360 during the season seeing as how only 3 players in the AL have done so over the past 10 years.