Brian Anderson

DaTank

I'm afraid to say it, but Podsednik is probably a better baseball player then Owens. And that's sad. Owens shouldn't be anything more then a backup and pinch runner, and thats it. Hell, some can make the case that the guy doesn't even belong in professional baseball.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
You really need a lesson in not taking things to the extreme so god damn much. It makes the board look bad.

It's not taking things to the extreme if they are true. He has speed, and that is the only reason why he is even being looked at for a spot. He doesn't know how to hit, he doesn't know how to read flyballs, and he has quite possibly the weakest arm in the MLB, or at least the weakest arm of any OF in the majors.

I could see a team having him as a pinch runner and emergency OF, but if KW and Ozzie really are going to make him the starter at CF and be the leadoff hitter, they need to have their heads examined. Well, KW and Ozzie need their heads examined for quite a few reasons actually.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 07:44 PM)
What does that directly have to do with what type of player Owens is? He isn't responsible for making the lineup, the coaching staff is. In this case, he is doing what he is told. Is it the wrong decision? I think so, along with many others, but thats to fault Owens. It's like the Mack situation in 2006. He wasn't a CF, but was put there time and time gain because Ozzie and Co. felt like they didn't have any options. Numerous fans were upset with Mack, but it wasn't his fault he was in a spot he shouldn't be.

I am not a Jerry Owens fan. The tools that have been provided to him aren't enough to make him an above average baseball player. Thats not to say he can't still make an impact on a team in the right role. To say that a 27 year old that posted a .396 OBP in the final month of the season last year, and has carried that over into ST has no business playing professional baseball of any kind is a stretch of pretty epic proportions

That's funny, cause I never said that. I said some could make the case, and I could see that since he just isn't a baseball player. But I think he could be valueable on a team, such as a poor man's version of Brian Roberts of the 04 Red Sox.

Also, the part about Ozzie and Kenny had nothing to do with Owens but rather them, and how it is looking like they are going to make quite a few of boneheaded decisions regarding the roster, as of now. I just hope they come to their senses and realize that Owens isn't a starter or leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 07:52 PM)
That's funny, cause I never said that. I said some could make the case, and I could see that since he just isn't a baseball player. But I think he could be valueable on a team, such as a poor man's version of Brian Roberts of the 04 Red Sox.

Also, the part about Ozzie and Kenny had nothing to do with Owens but rather them, and how it is looking like they are going to make quite a few of boneheaded decisions regarding the roster, as of now. I just hope they come to their senses and realize that Owens isn't a starter or leadoff hitter.

I seem to remember Owens coming into baseball pretty late in life, so his current age is misleading. He is still inexperienced and has more upside than your average 27 year old. It wouldn't surprise me if he took his game to another level and made the 'some that could make the case' look pretty dumb. He finished off pretty strong last year for someone who 'can't hit'. Personally, I am rooting for Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 06:52 PM)

Dave

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
It's not taking things to the extreme if they are true. He has speed, and that is the only reason why he is even being looked at for a spot. He doesn't know how to hit, he doesn't know how to read flyballs, and he has quite possibly the weakest arm in the MLB, or at least the weakest arm of any OF in the majors.

Exaggerations are fun everyone!!!

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Mar 22, 2008 -> 08:43 PM)
I seem to remember Owens coming into baseball pretty late in life, so his current age is misleading. He is still inexperienced and has more upside than your average 27 year old. It wouldn't surprise me if he took his game to another level and made the 'some that could make the case' look pretty dumb. He finished off pretty strong last year for someone who 'can't hit'. Personally, I am rooting for Brian Anderson and Jerry Owens.

But his upside really isn't that much more than the average 27 year old. A lot of the upside he would have as a 22 year old would be filling into his body; as a 27 year old, he has completely filled in.

Jerry Owens could hit .320 and be technically considered an offensive liability. That's how little power he has.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
Jerry Owens could hit .320 and be technically considered an offensive liability. That's how little power he has.

If Owens was hitting .320, we could assume his OBP would be like .370 or .380, and he'd be stealing about 70 bases and scoring 100 runs depending on the 3-4-5. Obviously he would be no Ichiro but I know of no sane person that would call him an "offensive liability" just because his OPS is in the low .700s.

Finally saw Anderson today. Looks like a totally different player at the plate. Knees more bent, better balance, less stiff. Made an out his first time up and I thought he looked good. His next time up he hit a ball hard enough to make Thome jealous.

I don't know for certain that it will carry over. But he looks like a completely different player. He looks like the kind of guy a pitcher wouldn't want to see come up. At all.

after seeing Brian Anderson the past couple of days, he can become a decent player. He fixed his stance and swing, and it has worked wonders for him. The funny thing is, why didn't anyone tell within the organization tell him this 2 years ago?

I'm no BA fan boy, but he is our best option in CF, and he can be decent if he continues to learn. If we're lucky, I think he can turn into a lesser version of Mike Cameron within a year or two. But that is dependent on if he has really matured and is willing to spend a good majority of his time just focusing on baseball.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 12:40 AM)
If Owens was hitting .320, we could assume his OBP would be like .370 or .380, and he'd be stealing about 70 bases and scoring 100 runs depending on the 3-4-5. Obviously he would be no Ichiro but I know of no sane person that would call him an "offensive liability" just because his OPS is in the low .700s.

You must believe Bill James to be insane then.

It's also why I prefaced my statement with the word technically.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)
You must believe Bill James to be insane then.

It's also why I prefaced my statement with the word technically.

Well I don't hang off the words of sabermetric geeks that put no stock whatsoever into stolen bases if that's what you mean. You can say that he can't be considered a "good hitter" in spite of his .320 average I guess, but any sabermetric guru worth his salt should be able to see the value of a guy with a OBP in the high .300s and who runs really fast.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 05:29 PM)
Finally saw Anderson today. Looks like a totally different player at the plate. Knees more bent, better balance, less stiff. Made an out his first time up and I thought he looked good. His next time up he hit a ball hard enough to make Thome jealous.

I don't know for certain that it will carry over. But he looks like a completely different player. He looks like the kind of guy a pitcher wouldn't want to see come up. At all.

Yeah. He's leading the Sox in ST in basically every single offensive category aside from being #2 in RBI (solely because he's hitting so low in the batting order). OBP, SLG, BA, walks, homers, runs, extra base hits.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 09:55 PM)
Well I don't hang off the words of sabermetric geeks that put no stock whatsoever into stolen bases if that's what you mean. You can say that he can't be considered a "good hitter" in spite of his .320 average I guess, but any sabermetric guru worth his salt should be able to see the value of a guy with a OBP in the high .300s and who runs really fast.

Even a world track speed star can generally only get from 1st to 3rd on a single. And a lot of the time, even slow players can get from 2nd to home on a single.

That's what that extra base does.

Jerry Owens is overrated and should be a 4th OFer at best, and while his speed is nice, it labels him as a leadoff hitter in Ozzie's mind for some reason.

I suspect that there are two options for Anderson to start the season: 4th OF for the Sox or starting in AAA w/ the 4th OF spot going to Quentin. These look like the most likely options because Ozzie seems set on Swisher in LF, Owens in CF, and Dye in RF.

Which of the two options do you believe benefit Anderson the most?

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
I suspect that there are two options for Anderson to start the season: 4th OF for the Sox or starting in AAA w/ the 4th OF spot going to Quentin. These look like the most likely options because Ozzie seems set on Swisher in LF, Owens in CF, and Dye in RF.

Which of the two options do you believe benefit Anderson the most?

4th outfielder. What will AAA do for a 26 year old? Same for Quentin, who is 25, but he's a lot more injury prone than BA. IMO, it's NOW or NEVER for BA. I think this time around, he'll be able to prove himself.

I really think Anderson should be the starting CF. His improved attitude, approach, and the fantastic numbers he's put up this spring have earned him a starting job, at least in my book.

I think we should let Ozzie know that if he really wants to build the Sox like the '03 Marlins, he should focus on getting more Josh Becketts, and less Juan Pierres.

QUOTE(almagest @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 02:06 AM)
I really think Anderson should be the starting CF. His improved attitude, approach, and the fantastic numbers he's put up this spring have earned him a starting job, at least in my book.

I think we should let Ozzie know that if he really wants to build the Sox like the '03 Marlins, he should focus on getting more Josh Becketts, and less Juan Pierres.

I couldn't agree with you more, but it seems as though Ozzie simply does not agree with us.

I think our only hope now is that Kenny (and perhaps some other coaches) intervene on Brian's behalf (during this supposed meeting scheduled for Tuesday) and they convince Ozzie to slot BA in as the starting CF. Otherwise, I'll be hoping for an Jerry Owens groin tweak or for BA to simply take the job from Owens via taking the most advantage of his sparing playing time...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 02:15 AM)
I couldn't agree with you more, but it seems as though Ozzie simply does not agree with us.

I think our only hope now is that Kenny (and perhaps some other coaches) intervene on Brian's behalf (during this supposed meeting scheduled for Tuesday) and they convince Ozzie to slot BA in as the starting CF. Otherwise, I'll be hoping for an Jerry Owens groin tweak or for BA to simply take the job from Owens via taking the most advantage of his sparing playing time...

That may be how it has to be.

That, or hope that Owens flat out sucks in April. I really would love Anderson in CF, even if it means an unconventional lineup, because with Anderson in CF, a ton of pieces for this team fall into place. If Owens is in CF, I'm not a huge fan of the team.