Oh crap...Miggy Cabrera agrees to 8 more years with Tigs

Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 05:14 PM)
Great deal for the Tigers, and to some that thought Miggy would ever be wearing a Whitesox uniform sorry to hear that your dream that was slim to none to begin with it over. Josh Fields is better anyways. I figured I would throw it in the middle and then just write a lot of stuff after that comment to see if anyone will call me out on it. Anyways who wants to be locked in to Detroit for 8 years I would be asking out after 3-4 years. Detroit sucks and has probably the worst downtown. Ugly.

Detroit may be ugly, but their lineup is scary as hell...

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 01:14 PM)
Josh Fields is better anyways.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

^^Unless you are actually in fact Josh Fields himself, in which case I say "f*** yeah, go Josh, go out and dominate them Tigers" or some words to that effect

I, for one, do not wish Miguel Cabrera anything more than the best. The kid's great, and going to be one of the best, and just because he plays for a rival doesn't mean I want him to "eat himself to death" or get injured or anything like that.

The Tigers made a bold trade for a player everyone knew was on the market. The White Sox and 28 other teams missed out on acquiring a player who could go down as one of the all-time greats. I only wish our pitching staff were of the level that I could truly look forward to some great matchups for years to come. Regardless, watching Bobby flash the gas and the big hook trying to sit down Miggy in the 9th with runners on is going to make for some entertaining baseball for years to come. I look forward to the White Sox taking on the best and hopefully beating the best in years to come.

I'm not convinced that an 8-year deal is a good idea for any player. Too many players have been good for 2, 3, 4, or even 6 years then dropped off due to laziness or injury. Given that we know he's prone to laziness (eating and exercising anyway), I'm not sure I'd be putting this one in the win column for the Tigers. It's a great PR move, and they need a young slugger to build around given the age of the rest of the lineup. I still don't think it's a great deal for them; great deal for Miggy...risky for the Tigers.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Mar 24, 2008 -> 04:48 PM)
I'm not convinced that an 8-year deal is a good idea for any player. Too many players have been good for 2, 3, 4, or even 6 years then dropped off due to laziness or injury. Given that we know he's prone to laziness (eating and exercising anyway), I'm not sure I'd be putting this one in the win column for the Tigers. It's a great PR move, and they need a young slugger to build around given the age of the rest of the lineup. I still don't think it's a great deal for them; great deal for Miggy...risky for the Tigers.

And just think...in 3 years when the Tiggers have lost I-Rod and Sheffield to retirement, Maggs declining, pitching falters...it will be an undervalued contract for one of the better players in the league. The Sox will just scoop him up off the scrap heap.

///////green!!!

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
I doubt it. Their owner is rich and is more than willing to spend. I remember reading a couple of years ago that he believes there is no reason they can't become the Yankees and after winning a bunch of Stanley Cups (this was during the strike), he wanted to bring back baseball in Detroit permanently and would do it by any means necessary.

This won't handicap Detroit at all.

Because Detroit's population is about the size of a neighborhood in NYC, that without the outlying boroughs, NJ, etc. Detroit is a cesspool that has a limited amount of money and people, its not the best area to have a business.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 12:31 AM)
:headbang

;)

I like Josh, but he's no consolation prize at this stage, to me. At the least we'll get to watch Cabrera quite often over the next few years, but I wish he were a White Sox.

Well he will be cheap so we can use the money for the next big guy to come out. Now who could that be?