Happy Easter, Hope The Sox Don't Lay An Egg!

knightni

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 04:20 PM)
I'm not worried about Danks, I'm worried about this offense still not clicking. I can't think of one game this spring where we dominated. Great pitching is useless if you can't score some runs.

I am concerned with that as well. It should sure would be nice to finish this week strong.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
Aside from starting pitching outside of Buehrle and Vaz, the bullpen outside of Jenks, the offense clicking, and defense, I really don't think we have much to worry about this year.

There's a reason this is a 4th place team. I look forward to joining you in the Brewers thread this year.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 09:31 PM)
Last year when we started the Brewers thread, they fell apart like cheap toilet paper. Is starting another thread like it such a good idea? :huh:

Yeah, why not. At least it keeps all anti-Cubs stuff in one thread. I just hope we don't get posters coming into the thread asking us why do we care.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 05:32 PM)
I just hope we don't get posters coming into the thread asking us why do we care.

If everyone here posts like you do, they won't ask that. They'll already know that we don't care.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
Yeah, why not. At least it keeps all anti-Cubs stuff in one thread. I just hope we don't get posters coming into the thread asking us why do we care.

Standard response to them: We like baseball, and hate the Cubs, aside from the Sox, no better team to pull for then the Brewers.

Man, you guys are right. First time I've watched a game this spring, and Anderson looks like a totally different hitter up there. God I hope they don't bury him on the bench this season, get him some freaking AB's even if he's not the starter. Please.

Random comments:

Jermaine Dye looks freaking terrible at the plate. My word he looks bad right now. Don't know what else to say about it. He just looked really bad.

Danks was hitting 93 on the gun today and was doing so legit on some of those fastballs. He made some really good pitches. Just not enough. He just couldn't throw strikes around inning 3-4. He still looked like he had good stuff when he threw it, but it looked like he just wasn't in to the game mentally after about the 2nd inning.

Owens went up to the plate pretty aggressive today. I know a lot of people don't like him because he doesn't have the pop, but he looks like a guy who could legit hit well over .300 this season. The one at bat where he worked the count a little, he successfully fouled off some pitches and looked ok in the process (until striking out). He clearly didn't want to fall behind Greinke, and the leadoff triple came right out of that.

If Quentin ever gets healthy...man that kid is going to be something.

AJ seems like he's lining the ball right at everyone.

Ramirez looked terrible against Greinke.

IIRC, Dye never really looks good until about May or June. He always seems to look extra slow with the bat until the weather warms up. I am not sure if data supports this. That said, I still think resigning him will be looked at as a mistake.

On the positive side, we are seeing a lot from our young players, ie Ramirez, Quinton, Swishers, Anderson, and even Owens. I am just worried that they will not play enough this year because of a "win now" mentality and salary considerations.

Wassermann 1.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB. He's taken his solid rookie campaign and added a pretty good spring - 3.09 ERA, 0.77 WHIP in 11.2 IP, 6/3 K/BB ratio too. Plus he's getting lefties out now - which was his biggest weakness in 2007.

Too bad he's likely headed for Charlotte. We'll see if MacDougal can cut it.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 02:58 PM)
I am more worried about Danks this season than I am Floyd. Danks just doesn't seem to have any sort of consistent approach, physically or mentally. He's all over the place.

The wierd thing is, he clearly was throwing some good pitches today. The stuff is there. He just had to get his head in the game. He's got some things to work out, but all that may take is time. I def. agree with you on him being all over the place today.

Some good work by AJ, Fields, and Quentin with the bat this inning.

Right now, It's certainly looking to me like we'd be better off with Quentin, Anderson, Owens, and Swisher in the OF before the $11 million WS MVP.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Mar 23, 2008 -> 03:02 PM)
IIRC, Dye never really looks good until about May or June. He always seems to look extra slow with the bat until the weather warms up. I am not sure if data supports this. That said, I still think resigning him will be looked at as a mistake.

On the positive side, we are seeing a lot from our young players, ie Ramirez, Quinton, Swishers, Anderson, and even Owens. I am just worried that they will not play enough this year because of a "win now" mentality and salary considerations.

The numbers the last couple years do back you up on JD being a slow starter, but there's been an injury related reason for almost all of those slow starts. In 07, his legs weren't really healthy until around the AS Break. In 05, he was coming back from a bad, season ending injury with Oakland the year before, IIRC, or something along those lines. In 06, he started the season healthy and was on a tear until the end of August.

Hopefully KW is starting to see that maybe the JD signing was something of a mistake...but if Quentin can get healthy, he's in a perfect place to turn JD in to a trading chip either this year or at the end of this season. And even if all he can get is Willy Mo Pena or soemthing like that for JD...that's useful. And it saves us a bunch on salary.

Edited by Balta1701