Reed Johnson

Kyyle23

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2008/n...tory?id=3307800

Is he worth taking a flyer on? Came from the Aaron Rowand school of Grindy-ish Things(i think they were college teammates, IIRC), pretty similar player except more of a corner OF. Always was tough on the Sox, but then again, bringing in guys who are always tough on the Sox doesnt always work out(cough, erstad, cough).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He'll probably go to the Rays. They have been looking for a 4th outfielder and were actually going to look into trading for Reed but in-division trades dont happen, so this just gives them a chance to add him

I actually suggested before the 07 season that the Sox should've made a run at acquiring him - he would've solved both the CF and leadoff problems - something Grinderstad failed at (as we all knew he would).

Too bad he got injured. Still, he is definately a guy that I would take a chance on. I'm not sure where he would fit on the Sox today. Maybe San Diego could use him? Or the Dodgers?

• 3 weeks later...
QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Apr 13, 2008 -> 04:57 PM)
Where exactly would he fit on this team? Why would he have signed here?

His OPS is worse than that of Quentin, Swisher, and Dye...and it's really not even close.

And he's not hitting "about .400" while getting on base at about a ".500" clip unless Joe Crede also has "about 10 homers" right now.

He's hitting .286 after today with a .696 OPS, and he's a career .280 hitter and .750 OPS guy so i'm not sure where the idea he's on a hot start is coming from. He also is a poor fielder, doesn't steal bases, and has no power. He's a decent pickup for the Cubs since they have nothing in CF, but we're not missing out on a lot here.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

• 2 weeks later...

Through 20 games, 68 at bats, Johnson is hitting .324 with a .405 OBP. True he has no homers, and is only 1 for 3 in SBs, but he has 9 RBIs and 13 runs scored. Defense? His amazing catch against the Nationals in DC on friday night was one of the best you'll ever see.

Johnson is no hall of famer, and I'm not going to compare him to Swisher - they are two very different players. However, how nice would it be to have Johnson in CF and leading off and have Swisher in LF (and Dye in RF)?

I'm just sayin'... Johnson is overlooked, better than most 'experts' think... and The Jays were insane for cutting him loose.

QUOTE (easyw @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 08:34 PM)
Through 20 games, 68 at bats, Johnson is hitting .324 with a .405 OBP. True he has no homers, and is only 1 for 3 in SBs, but he has 9 RBIs and 13 runs scored. Defense? His amazing catch against the Nationals in DC on friday night was one of the best you'll ever see.

Johnson is no hall of famer, and I'm not going to compare him to Swisher - they are two very different players. However, how nice would it be to have Johnson in CF and leading off and have Swisher in LF (and Dye in RF)?

I'm just sayin'... Johnson is overlooked, better than most 'experts' think... and The Jays were insane for cutting him loose.

Carlos Quentin b****slaps Reed f***in Johnson

.773 OPS and 104 OPS+ He gets on base via the leaning elbow (5 HBP all of which were fastballs just off the inside corner that nicked his elbow guard) and hits singles. Fun player.

Carlos Quentin's OPS is over 220 point higher that Mr Johnson's.

QUOTE (Jimbo's Drinker @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 09:27 PM)
How are Quentin and f***domes number comparisions?

.329 .452 .934 For f***udome

.288 .435 .996 for Q

Fuk's number are somewhat going down and Q's up. But Q hits with more power obviously, hes slugging .562

Reed Johnson's batting stance/the thing growing on his face piss me off. And who names their kid "Reed"? Other than that I think it was a good pickup based on their outfield plight. The fans are lovin him and he seems to have a positive effect in the clubhouse (I'm assuming).

He's getting playing time now with Sosariano out, but anyone else think Pie was on someone's s*** list over there?

Edited by ChiSox35

QUOTE (ChiSox35 @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 10:46 PM)
anyone else think Pie was on someone's s*** list over there?

Well, perhaps the better question is when we should add Pie's name to the list of "People the Cubs really should have traded before they hit the big leagues". AKA the P list...Prior...Patterson...Pie...