The Last Roster Spot

NorthSideSox72

Who should get the last bullpen spot?  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Who should get the last bullpen spot?

• Nick Masset
    • Ehren Wassermann

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
Absolutely absurd decision. Apparently the Sox would rather have a guy who can throw three innings terribly than one inning well.

And around April 7th, they will rather have a guy in the lineup that can run fast over a talented guy like Quentin. We will also start Thome on Monday who is what 0-11 with 7k's life time against CC. Some of these decisions are head scratchers.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
And around April 7th, they will rather have a guy in the lineup that can run fast over a talented guy like Quentin. We will also start Thome on Monday who is what 0-11 with 7k's life time against CC. Some of these decisions are head scratchers.

well, are we to never play Jim Thome against CC? Then he'll never get hit #1.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 02:54 AM)
Absolutely absurd decision. Apparently the Sox would rather have a guy who can throw three innings terribly than one inning well.

I have a feeling you're with me when I say I disagree with just about every personnel decision that's been made over the last few weeks.

I got no problem with Thome starting vs. CC, whether he can hit him or not, Thome still provides a pressence in the lineup... however, he should be batting 5th with Swisher in the 3 hole.

What's funny about this is that I wouldn't be surprised if no team claimed Massett, if we did send him down. I'm sure other teams have scouts who aren't retarded in the head and can see that Massett has nothing but a straight low 90's fastball and a curve which he can never get over.

If we really wanted a long man, that spot should have gone to D.J. Carrosco(sp?)... he showed a nice fastball with movement, and the ability to actually throw strikes.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)

Just horrendous ones at that. Obviously the sox (KW.. wtf) do not want to put the best men on the field to compete and only wonder about not losing guys, showcasing/proving to the other teams wrong about a player, etc. It's just ridiculous of what they are thinking up there and the "big picture." It's utter b.s. Oz and Kenny said they want to put the best players out there to compete, and shut up the doubters. They said they want the guys who outperformed the other ones in ST to be the ones who make it. So far... like I said before (esp. on KW and his "word") they're not living up to it. Their actions are speaking louder than their words.

Shocking how many people thought Masset, despite how brutal he was last year, was worth keeping. Many thought he could be a viable starting pitcher, of course it was based on one game in 45 degree weather with the wind howling in. I too, believe there's a decent chance Masset could clear waivers but I really don't think that's the issue. The White Sox need a lamb. Wasserman can't go 3 innings or 4 innings in 3 days. They tried to stretch Thornton recently, but saw that probably wouldn't be a good idea. Wasserman didn't lose a competition with Masset. His being sent down has a lot more to do with Danks and Floyd not being relied on to give you consistent innings and the fact that the bullpen is loaded with 1 inning guys. Maybe they send Wasserman down and have him work on getting stretched out, or leave him as is and if there is an injury or poor performance he can come up. This has everything to do with Masset being able to give you multiple innings, maybe not quality innings, probably not quality innings, but they need someone who could save a couple of guys some days, and Masset was that guy by default.

Edited by Dick Allen

Ehren would be very annoyed right now, and I don't blame him.

Masset should have a month to perform, and if his ERA is above 6, get rid of him.

But now Nick has the opportunity, and let's hope he makes the most of it.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 03:15 AM)
I got no problem with Thome starting vs. CC, whether he can hit him or not, Thome still provides a pressence in the lineup... however, he should be batting 5th with Swisher in the 3 hole.

Oh, and how we need non-hitting presence to win games. Minnie Minoso would be a presence, should we sign him up, too?

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 02:15 AM)

A "presence" to whom?

Maybe to the crowd. But this is 2008, the Indians and all of MLB know that Thome's line against LHP last year was .196/.314/.350. It's deteriorated steadily over the last few years.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 07:50 AM)
Shocking how many people thought Masset, despite how brutal he was last year, was worth keeping. Many thought he could be a viable starting pitcher, of course it was based on one game in 45 degree weather with the wind howling in. I too, believe there's a decent chance Masset could clear waivers but I really don't think that's the issue. The White Sox need a lamb. Wasserman can't go 3 innings or 4 innings in 3 days. They tried to stretch Thornton recently, but saw that probably wouldn't be a good idea. Wasserman didn't lose a competition with Masset. His being sent down has a lot more to do with Danks and Floyd not being relied on to give you consistent innings and the fact that the bullpen is loaded with 1 inning guys. Maybe they send Wasserman down and have him work on getting stretched out, or leave him as is and if there is an injury or poor performance he can come up. This has everything to do with Masset being able to give you multiple innings, maybe not quality innings, probably not quality innings, but they need someone who could save a couple of guys some days, and Masset was that guy by default.

I totally agree with DA. Masset will be used for mop-up on days where one of our starters totally craps his pants. If Masset gets into winnable games, then I'll be upset. The Sox don't need a 'long' man on winnable games because the deep bullpen can go 4-5 guys deep of one inning each if a starter performs well but has to leave a little early. Even then, I think this is Masset's last chance. If he pitches like he did last year, he's gone.

Edited by Disco72

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
I have a feeling you're with me when I say I disagree with just about every personnel decision that's been made over the last few weeks.

Fields over Crede when a rehab assignment for Crede would be best.

Masset over Wasserman.

Thome not only in there against CC but batting 3rd.

Ozuna not starting against CC.

Anderson not in center against CC. Ramirez could DH.

These are the ones I disagree with. I'm sure your list is longer.

According to Ozzie, gettig on base is more important than anything, including speed. He said it on camera. If those guys perform, you wont see Owens starting.

And Thome can hit and get on base, not alot of guys have success against CC, he's one of the best in the league.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
According to Ozzie, gettig on base is more important than anything, including speed. He said it on camera. If those guys perform, you wont see Owens starting.

And Thome can hit and get on base, not alot of guys have success against CC, he's one of the best in the league.

I guarantee Owens will be starting when he returns..

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 04:55 AM)
Ehren would be very annoyed right now, and I don't blame him.

Masset should have a month to perform, and if his ERA is above 6, get rid of him.

But now Nick has the opportunity, and let's hope he makes the most of it.

What if the Sox are basically masking this season as a wash and they don't want to kill service time on Wass and Fields? That would make sense then. Also, don't overspend on a suspect pitching market, just run Floyd and Danks out there 40% of the time. Then before the deadline move Crede, Uribe, Dye, etc and restock for 2009. Otherwise, these moves are mind-boggling.

It surprises me to see how many people think Thome should be benched vs. lefties... maybe once in a while, but Thome is NOT a platoon player. Sure, he's better vs. righties, but he has one of the best eye's in the league, can draw walks, and at any moment, vs. any pitcher, he can go yard. And you don't bench especially when he is getting hot, as evident of his 4 or 5(?) homers and 10+ rbi's in the least week and a half of spring training games.

But, he shouldn't bat 3rd vs. lefties. Swisher should bat 3rd with Thome 5th...

Thome needs to be rested at times during the season. Ideally they could rest him vs. certain left handers and his back would hold up the rest of the time. How realistic that is is a different matter. One thing Thome has that a lot don't is he might be horrible against a guy, ie Sabathia, but one swing is runs. I would probably start him opening day, but bat him down in the order a little bit.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 08:24 AM)
It surprises me to see how many people think Thome should be benched vs. lefties... maybe once in a while, but Thome is NOT a platoon player. Sure, he's better vs. righties, but he has one of the best eye's in the league, can draw walks, and at any moment, vs. any pitcher, he can go yard. And you don't bench especially when he is getting hot, as evident of his 4 or 5(?) homers and 10+ rbi's in the least week and a half of spring training games.

But, he shouldn't bat 3rd vs. lefties. Swisher should bat 3rd with Thome 5th...

You can't bench Thome vs every Lefty, because he would only end up with 300 ABs. However, I wouldn't mind seeing him replaced every now and then vs Lefties. He has a .300 point OPS drop from RHP to LHP. That is huge.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
You can't bench Thome vs every Lefty, because he would only end up with 300 ABs. However, I wouldn't mind seeing him replaced every now and then vs Lefties. He has a .300 point OPS drop from RHP to LHP. That is huge.

I agree with this... but you don't bench him on opening day, and you don't platoon him.