White Sox 6th in Payroll at $118 Million

RME JICO

Kalapse had us at $115 before the deductions.

That is pretty high for what everyone is projecting this team to do.

The New York Yankees will lead the payroll rankings for the 10th consecutive season—at about $210 million. Baltimore was the last club to top the Yankees, at $70.41 million in 1998.

The next five clubs will be the Boston Red Sox ($150 million), New York Mets ($135 million), Detroit Tigers ($134 million), Los Angeles Angels ($120 million) and Chicago White Sox ($118 million).

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aiot...n&type=lgns

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 03:57 PM)
Kalapse had us at $115 before the deductions.

That is pretty high for what everyone is projecting this team to do.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Aiot...n&type=lgns

Add the salaries of the league minimum players (which I didn't include) to the $115M and it's right around $118M-$119M.

Whenever news services like the Sporting News put together their lists of the top payrolls they never include cash considerations. The Sox are actually somewhere around $109M-$110M right now.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 05:08 PM)
How in those $118 Million are we not able to find a #3 starter. oof.

Mistakes IMO:

Uribe (easy to justify though): $4.1M

Crede: $4.9M (see Dye)

Dotel: $5M (remains to be seen...hope I'm wrong)

Dye: $7.5M (As much as I like JD....it was time to move on)

Complete waste of $$$: Toady Hall: $1.75M

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 04:16 PM)
Add the salaries of the league minimum players (which I didn't include) to the $115M and it's right around $118M-$119M.

Whenever news services like the Sporting News put together their lists of the top payrolls they never include cash considerations. The Sox are actually somewhere around $109M-$110M right now.

Yeah, I was just pointing out how accurate you were. $115 to $118 is not that much considering the players not listed like you said.

QUOTE(max power @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 06:05 PM)
There weren't any good #3s on the market this year is a better reason.

Teams that spend that much have a #4 or a two that can step up and be #3 quality.

Not at all a Kenny hater. And i dont hate the Garland trade for what it was. But I do dislike the fact that we traded Garland and ignored the need to fully replace him.

If you're going to go for it this year, go all the way. Dont half and half it. 3-4-5 is too much a question mark right now.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 28, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Mistakes IMO:

Uribe (easy to justify though): $4.1M

Crede: $4.9M (see Dye)

Dotel: $5M (remains to be seen...hope I'm wrong)

Dye: $7.5M (As much as I like JD....it was time to move on)

Complete waste of $$$: Toady Hall: $1.75M

I agree I hate Toady

and for Crede its not like we have anyone in the minors to succeed him so thank god we signed him so cheaply after the monster season he gave us last year.

Uribe, our middle infield lacks serious depth, we probably should have signed some cuban defects, but we didnt.

Dotel, we jumped the gun cuz we got excited to get a bullpen arm

Dye, people would have b****ed, but yes I think we should have traded him at the deadline.

The problem with cheap, young players is that not all of them can actually play. Hopefully, after this year, we'll know if young pitchers like Floyd and Danks can compete and if other guys like Fields, Anderson, Quentin, Owens, Rameriz, Richar, etc. can also play (or continue playing) well at a major league level. If the answer is yes, that opens up a ton of options for the Sox. However, some of them are more than likely going to fail.

QUOTE(JFields27 @ Mar 29, 2008 -> 01:16 AM)
Dye, people would have b****ed, but yes I think we should have traded him at the deadline.

For what?

GMs don't give up anything of much value for players they'll only have for half a year, especially for players who have terrible stats before the deadline.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 01:38 AM)
The problem with cheap, young players is that not all of them can actually play. Hopefully, after this year, we'll know if young pitchers like Floyd and Danks can compete and if other guys like Fields, Anderson, Quentin, Owens, Rameriz, Richar, etc. can also play (or continue playing) well at a major league level. If the answer is yes, that opens up a ton of options for the Sox. However, some of them are more than likely going to fail.

Well I mean there's lots of ways you can look at that, and it's a really interesting subject, and the one I probably most enjoy discussing about actually.

I mean with young players, how much lee-way do you give them if they're a starter. Do you bench em if they produce like Brian Anderson did in his 1st season? Should the Sox have made a change before then? Did BA deserve another opportunity sooner?

Because obviously you want GOOD young players, but I'd say the % rate of players who can produce straight away from being up from the minors would be quite low of course, probably around 15-20% maybe? And that's why someone such as a Josh Fields could have been so valuable, because he would have been a building block at 3rd, but the Sox already had a guy there that they couldn't trade, and are stuck with him for the moment paying him 5.1M.

And with some players, they just take a while before things click. And you can't just have all veteran players on your team making more than the minimum, otherwise you'd end up with a huge payroll. And the Red Sox had some really good young players last season of course.

The 2 players I'm most looking forward to seeing this season from your group this season are Ramirez and Quentin. Right now, I don't think anyone can accurately predict what they're going to do (although I'd say Quentin if given regular AB's is capable of a .800-.850 OPS).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Mar 30, 2008 -> 09:40 AM)
Well I mean there's lots of ways you can look at that, and it's a really interesting subject, and the one I probably most enjoy discussing about actually.

I mean with young players, how much lee-way do you give them if they're a starter. Do you bench em if they produce like Brian Anderson did in his 1st season? Should the Sox have made a change before then? Did BA deserve another opportunity sooner?

Because obviously you want GOOD young players, but I'd say the % rate of players who can produce straight away from being up from the minors would be quite low of course, probably around 15-20% maybe? And that's why someone such as a Josh Fields could have been so valuable, because he would have been a building block at 3rd, but the Sox already had a guy there that they couldn't trade, and are stuck with him for the moment paying him 5.1M.

And with some players, they just take a while before things click. And you can't just have all veteran players on your team making more than the minimum, otherwise you'd end up with a huge payroll. And the Red Sox had some really good young players last season of course.

The 2 players I'm most looking forward to seeing this season from your group this season are Ramirez and Quentin. Right now, I don't think anyone can accurately predict what they're going to do (although I'd say Quentin if given regular AB's is capable of a .800-.850 OPS).

I agree, it's a really interesting topic. Ideally, you bring one or two young guys along with a veteran, experienced team. The Sox tried that with Anderson in 2006, and it didn't work (we'll ignore the discussion of why it didn't work). The other extreme is the 'luxury' of being a team that does not plan on competing - you can let the guys go out and play and see what happens. I don't like that extreme as I think rebuilding programs are pretty risky. The Sox are in an odd no-man's land this year. They have to develop some young players because they can't spend much more than they are now, but it is almost impossible to compete in the AL right now without a stacked lineup. As much as KW is trying to "win now" (and I think he means it), he is also trying to find out if some of these younger guys can play. It is also a risky move - I hope it pays off.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 12:54 AM)
I agree, it's a really interesting topic. Ideally, you bring one or two young guys along with a veteran, experienced team. The Sox tried that with Anderson in 2006, and it didn't work (we'll ignore the discussion of why it didn't work). The other extreme is the 'luxury' of being a team that does not plan on competing - you can let the guys go out and play and see what happens. I don't like that extreme as I think rebuilding programs are pretty risky. The Sox are in an odd no-man's land this year. They have to develop some young players because they can't spend much more than they are now, but it is almost impossible to compete in the AL right now without a stacked lineup. As much as KW is trying to "win now" (and I think he means it), he is also trying to find out if some of these younger guys can play. It is also a risky move - I hope it pays off.

It's something KW had to do to basically revitalize this team.

I think everyone saw last season we had an "aging core". Thome, Konerko, Dye etc. all over 30, Contreras in the rotation etc. So we need some young guys who are on the up-swing, while those guys I mentioned before will be on the down-swing to balance things out. The Swisher acquisition for example.

I guess for me, I'm just a little annoyed that we're not seeing Richar at 2nd, and Fields should argubly be playing 3rd (but he's not for other reasons). So the Sox could be getting even younger (and argubly getting better not worse, but they don't think that), and I think fans get a little dissappointed with those type of excuses.

It is risky, but if the Sox want to jump up the standings, it's the type of thing they need to do.