White Sox @ Indians - Opening Day Game Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
Ya Masset was awesome.. but I will still rip on him even if he pitches well. He doesnt deserve to be here. Ask people on the chat. I was still ripping him despite being utterly shocked at he pitched well.

Thats why your posting here and in chats .. while Ozzie is on the bench and Kenny the GM.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:34 PM)
Thats why your posting here and in chats .. while Ozzie is on the bench and Kenny the GM.

Huh? Masset was good in a similar spot early last year and turned out to be garbage. What does this have to do with anything? If we go 72-90 again, will you post this? Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
That's pretty ignorant to say if you saw todays game. It's irrevocable fact that 3 missed calls cost us 3 runs, not to mention the fact that we'd have still been batting after 3 of the missed calls so it could have been more. The umpires decided todays game. It might be the first time I've actually seen that undeniably happen today, so your theory on umps is usually sound, but that's what happened today.

That is ignorance, its not going to change get over it . Human error happens, players need to perform and changes can be made.

QUOTE(The Beast @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
Say we scored the 2 runs or what have you, would we have won if Dotel imploded like he did? I will never blame a baseball game on an umpire like that. Ever. Hold me to that.

well those 2 outs called would have kept the inning going wiht momentum. We probably could have scored 4 runs that inning giving us 12 runs total including JD's shot in the 9th. So yea even with Dotel's implosion we still probably would have won.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
That is ignorance, its not going to change get over it . Human error happens, players need to perform and changes can be made.

Thank you and QFT.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 04:42 PM)
well those 2 outs called would have kept the inning going wiht momentum. We probably could have scored 4 runs that inning giving us 12 runs total including JD's shot in the 9th. So yea even with Dotel's implosion we still probably would have won.

Fair enough, I'll agree to disagree if you will. Altough I don't agree, I respect your opinion.

Edited by The Beast

QUOTE(Jimbo's Drinker @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 10:41 PM)
I really loved watching the enthusiasm of Swisher and Cabrera, but the bullpen sucks again for us.

thats a bit premature. Massett proved more than worthy he can be the long man. Boone was solid... And Dotel although gave up those hits was still one pitch away from getting out of it... I would be more concerned with the Starting pitching. Our offense and defense will be fine...

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
thats a bit premature. Massett proved more than worthy he can be the long man. Boone was solid... And Dotel although gave up those hits was still one pitch away from getting out of it... I would be more concerned with the Starting pitching. Our offense and defense will be fine...

Yes this is true,and Boone's beard is awesome.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 10:43 PM)
A-ram didnt do much other that wait out a walk. He flat out cant hit a changeup or a slider.

Aram will be good for us... its not going to be overnight... he'll be fine. He may benefit from some time in triple-a. Im guessing they'll wait for Owens to come back before they move him down to the farm.

Ramirez showed enough to play 2B, but I thought he looked downright scary in CF. Put him at 2nd and let Anderson play CF. As for Dotel vs Linebrink, it was probably Dotel because it was tied. If the Sox had the lead, it probably would have been Linebrink then Jenks.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 06:43 PM)
A-ram didnt do much other that wait out a walk. He flat out cant hit a changeup or a slider.

I was responding to his comment as if it was non-green sarcasm.

Uribe was brutal until that last at-bat.

QUOTE(Soxpranos @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
So much for all the experts here that wanted Thome hitting fifth.

Almost Everyone in here knows more than Ozzie and Kenny.

You don't need to be an expert to know that Thome is terrible against lefties. I couldn't be happier that he hit 2 home runs. I'm also confident he'll be very bad against lefties over the course of the year.

It's absolutely unreal the conclusions people jump to after one game, or 3 innings. Unbelievable. Come on. Buehrle will not be terrible. Masset will not be perfect. Thome will not be good against lefties over the course of the year. If you want to jump to all of the negative conclusions about the Sox, you need to also point out that Sabathia will be worthless and that the Indians absolutely suck.

QUOTE(G&T @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
I think it's safe to say there will be a game this year that goes our way based on bad calls. That stuff evens out.

Not like that. But whatever, can't change it now. Now they have to sweep the Indians in Cleveland just to get a series win.

Overall Im pretty happy with the first game of the year.

Although Buehrle imploded in the second, I dont think there is a sole in Chicago who thinks that will become the norm, it may be the only time it happens this year. After he was taken out his team really did a lot to get back in the game. Masset looked great, and although Im not ready to call him a major league reliever... this certainly was a step in the right direction. The offense looked good overall, they crawled back in the game and Thome was a monster. I loved that Swisher/Cabrera combo at the top of the lineup, they were great. Ramirez had some rought ABs, I wasnt too happy when he struck out with men in scoring position near the end... but he is a rookie and he looked like someone in his first game. I liked the adjustments he made against CC and ended up drawing a walk in the 6th, so overall it wasnt a total let down, I think he'll be fine. Watching Uribe strike out 3 times and Crede pop out to make the last out brought back some nasty memories, lets hope those two dont keep on that track.

Every season there are rough losses... its just a shame that we had to watch one on opening day. I do think this team will be okay.

one last note: that diving stop Cabrera had was sick, should have been a great out if Paulie makes the pick.

Here is the rule for interference:

Seems like they got the call right according to the rule, but unfortunately, that is not how they call it in practice. Players intentionally try to hinder the fielder all the time by sliding in and taking out the fielder, but they NEVER call interference on that unless the runner clearly has no chance to touch the bag.

Rule 7.08 B Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to

make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not.

If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he

shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul

territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall

Rule 7.08

apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the

umpire shall declare the batter out.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 07:22 PM)
No way should he be allowed to face Carmona.

Ramirez should have never been allowed to be the opening day CF starter. I just can't fathom why Brian Anderson didn't do enough to prove himself this spring. Dude showed up with the right attitude, played balls to the wall, and is a great defensive outfielder. How much CF did Alexei play in Spring? It's almost like Uribe at 2nd and Anderson on the bench was a foregone conclusion before spring training even began.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 05:46 PM)
Aram will be good for us... its not going to be overnight... he'll be fine. He may benefit from some time in triple-a. Im guessing they'll wait for Owens to come back before they move him down to the farm.

I doubt Ramirez gets sent down. They're not going to go with one backup MI and three backup OFers. It's going to take Richar or a trade to send Ramirez down.

I want

1. Swish LF

2. O cab SS

3. Thome

4. Kong

5. Dye

6. AJP

7. BA CF

8. Crede 3B

9 A-ram 2B

vs Carmona.

Im not sold on Uribe's phantom ST performance. BA needs to get some early at bats here to see if maybe HE turned it around.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 07:33 PM)
Here is the rule for interference:

Seems like they got the call right according to the rule, but unfortunately, that is not how they call it in practice. Players intentionally try to hinder the fielder all the time by sliding in and taking out the fielder, but they NEVER call interference on that unless the runner clearly has no chance to touch the bag.

Rule 7.08 B Comment: A runner who is adjudged to have hindered a fielder who is attempting to

make a play on a batted ball is out whether it was intentional or not.

If, however, the runner has contact with a legally occupied base when he hinders the fielder, he

shall not be called out unless, in the umpire’s judgment, such hindrance, whether it occurs on fair or foul

territory, is intentional. If the umpire declares the hindrance intentional, the following penalty shall

Rule 7.08

apply: With less than two out, the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter out. With two out, the

umpire shall declare the batter out.

It's the standard interpretation. If you do something that a normal baserunner might do, like slide, however hard the slide, whatever side of the base you're sliding to, they won't call interference. If you do something that is totally outside the act of running the bases, that has no possible purpose except interference, like grabbing the fielder with your hands, they'll call interference. They give the runner a lot of latitude. You've got to really, REALLY make your intention clear.

It was a good call.