Dotel

zygoat

After giving up two early singles I think Dotel did a good job battling back in the inning.

does it bother anyone other than me that when he had the bases loaded and a 1-2 count it seemed like he threw a floater right over the plate. Casey Blake teed off on that ball because it was waist high down the middle.

did that bother anyone else other than me- thats what lost us the game, not the umps.

P.S. the umps were bad, but we also need to be able to hit the ball out of the infield to score those runs. If the indians played both those balls correctly then we still would have lost. Tough loss.

QUOTE(Wanne @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 06:27 PM)
I'm still wondering why Dotel instead of Linebrink?!?

Dotel has better stuff and is the better pitcher when healthy, which he appears to be. If that is rebutted by pointing out this one bad game, I would point to the words "one" and "game."

What I want to know is, why the hell was Buehrle the starter over Masset. Masset clearly is a lot better.

QUOTE(the People's Champ @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 08:00 PM)
The only problem is a good 3.50 of that ERA was given up in the 8th innings of 1 run games

actually iirc vizcaino had like a 2.7 ERA that year if you threw out the first or maybe second game of the year....ozzie micromanaged the hell out of the game, i believe it may have been the game boone gave up the bomb to hafner in his first apperance...the game went to extras, and we ran out of pitchers...vizcaino pitched like 4 innings and 65 pitches and in the next last inning gave up about 7 runs because ozzie had no one else to go to....that started him off poorly that year, but he was decent after he recovered from that

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 04:55 PM)
Vizcaino had an excellent 3.73 ERA in his one season with the Sox.

From my memories of that season, and they're pretty detailed, I think his ERA that year was almost useless. As others have pointed out, a lot of the up part of his ERA that season was given up in a couple of games where Ozzie did push him longer than he should have because he had no other option after 2 innings and the rest of the bullpen was used up. On the other hand, he had a very strong force pushing his ERA down: the rest of the bullpen. Every time any pitcher got in trouble, Cotts, Politte, Hermanson, or Jenks came in and stranded those runners. It's the same reason Damaso Marte put up a 3.77 ERA in the pen that year despite having a disgusting 1.72 WHIP.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 11:21 PM)
It was a fastball that carried back over the plate...there was no float about it

I just dunno know why AJ or Ozzie didn't call the damn slider on that count. That thing has some break to it to the other batters and it boggles me as to why he didn't throw it at least twice to Blake.

I think with all the new players Ozzie is going to have his fair share of figuring it out when it comes to managing these guys. The same way Pinella did last year with the cubs, juggling lineups, positions, bullpen slots for most of the 1st half of the season until things became clearer in the 2nd half. I think the same will be true for the sox. A few growing pains earlier on just cuz the roster has been turned over so much.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Mar 31, 2008 -> 08:48 PM)
I just dunno know why AJ or Ozzie didn't call the damn slider on that count. That thing has some break to it to the other batters and it boggles me as to why he didn't throw it at least twice to Blake.

I read in the paper Dotel said he wanted to throw that pitch.

"(Blake) is a fastball hitter and I wanted to throw my fastball away,'' Dotel said. "If I did, I thought I would have a chance to get him out. This time it was right in the middle. He wins this time.''

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Apr 1, 2008 -> 11:27 PM)
Ozzie seems to prefer players of his native tongue when they're an option vs. those not of said tonguage, I'm not one bit surprise by this or Alexei out ther over BA

this may well be the case, but i'm not exactly yearnin to have one Brian Anderson be the reverse Jackie Robinson for this white plight.

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 01:27 AM)
Ozzie seems to prefer players of his native tongue when they're an option vs. those not of said tonguage, I'm not one bit surprise by this or Alexei out ther over BA

wow....

i HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt that has anything to do with dotel over linebrink in this situation.

where is it written that linebrink is ahead of dotel on the list of reliable 'pen arms? we've barely seen either one, so it was a tossup.

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Apr 2, 2008 -> 03:13 AM)
wow....

i HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt that has anything to do with dotel over linebrink in this situation.

where is it written that linebrink is ahead of dotel on the list of reliable 'pen arms? we've barely seen either one, so it was a tossup.

Take this for what it's worth, but when they were asking Swisher about some of the blown calls were huge and how they affected the game and he said

yeah those guys do their jobs and it's just unfortunate it didn't end up going our way because that would have totally changed the whole game around and we would have had guys like...Thorton and Linebrink and Jenksy coming in to shut the game down.

It could have been nothing, but I found it interesting he was saying if we got the lead then those pitchers would have come in.

Both Linebrink and Dotel were warming up in the bullpen before that half inning. Had the Sox scored with the bases juiced, Linebrink was coming in, but they didn't so it was Dotel.

Looks like Dotel will be our #1 MR while Linebrink will be more the #1 SU, with Thornton being the vs LHB setup.

The first part of this post was according to Steve Stone during the game.