The "Mighty" Detroit Tigers

sox-r-us

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 01:59 AM)
I said in the preseason that the Tigers are boom or bust, and I'm not about to back away from that right now. Either that team is going to explode and put up absolutely monstrous numbers and take the division on the back of their offense, or they'll be mediocre and finish in 3rd-ish place with about 84-85 wins.

It's interesting to watch, but the Tigers have been sort of shadowing what the White Sox have done the past few years...I predicted in about June of last season that the Tigers would collapse in the second half just as the 06' White Sox did.

Could they possibly follow the White Sox again and be terrible this season?

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 12:27 AM)
It's interesting to watch, but the Tigers have been sort of shadowing what the White Sox have done the past few years...I predicted in about June of last season that the Tigers would collapse in the second half just as the 06' White Sox did.

hmm is there a pattern here? Only time will tell... If the Tigers follow our pattern from best in the league to almost worst, I hope we follow Boston's pattern (Champ, barely make playoffs/ just miss playoffs, Miss playoffs, Champ)

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:27 PM)

It would be hilarious and poetic if the Tigers ended up hitting very well, but not well enough to fend off the Royals who overtake them and stay ahead of them all season. They'd have some understanding of how we felt in '06.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
0-4 so far. :cheers

I may have created a monster.....keep this thread bumped - the tiggers are gonna crash and burn this season :headbang

And yeah, fock those experts on ESPN and on this site who predicted the Tiggers would be a contender this year .....

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
I may have created a monster.....keep this thread bumped - the tiggers are gonna crash and burn this season :headbang

And yeah, fock those experts on ESPN and on this site who predicted the Tiggers would be a contender this year .....

It is 4 games

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 4, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)

Only 158 left.

The Royals have been impressive nonetheless. They start the season on the road and sweep a team that is chosen to be up there in the win column.

This should be a fun season for AL Central fans. Maybe this can be the start of something. The Central possibly getting the recognition it deserves.

I wonder...how long does it take before this losing skid becomes one of those things that starts feeding on itself. Like, if Verlander were to take the loss tomorrow, is that enough to start getting the tigers in to that mode where they expect to lose, where one thing goes wrong and suddenly they panic like they have no idea what to do.

The injuries to Zumaya and Rodney are pretty crucial for this team. Either one of those guys comes in to replace Willis today, and who knows if the Sox score more than 2 runs in that inning, much less 4. And Jermaine Dye is facing one of those two late in the game, not Francis Beltran.

The offense will get its hits, and will probably hit a nice stride when the weather warms up and when Granderson comes back, but they are going to have a hard time keeping leads because of the lack of a bullpen stopper. And even when they can get to the closer, we are talking about Todd Jones here, not Mariano Rivera. A team can hang some runs on that guy.

I think its gonna be a frustrating year for the Tigers.

Read an interesting fact - Of the last five WS champions, not one has led the majors in runs scored. The last five finished (2007-2003) 6th, 16th, 17th, 2nd and 13th in runs scored.

==============

So for those who think Det can be a contender once their hitting picks up, keep in mind that pitching is still what wins championships

On Sportscenter yesterday morning, they said that no team in the last decade has started 0-4 and made the playoffs and no team has ever started 0-4 and won the World Series.

EDIT: A Tigers blog has some more info on this. It doesn't look that promising from a purely historical perspective. Then again, I'm not sure how many teams as offensively talented as the Tigers have started out 0-4. Most of the teams starting out bad were probably just bad teams to begin with.

Edited by Disco72

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
On Sportscenter yesterday morning, they said that no team in the last decade has started 0-4 and made the playoffs and no team has ever started 0-4 and won the World Series.

EDIT: A Tigers blog has some more info on this. It doesn't look that promising from a purely historical perspective. Then again, I'm not sure how many teams as offensively talented as the Tigers have started out 0-4. Most of the teams starting out bad were probably just bad teams to begin with.

Coincidence. I'm sure some WS winners had 4-game losing streaks. Just because it didn't happen at the start of the season doesn't mean much.

What should worry them more is how wretched Dontrelle looked yesterday. Even when he was throwing a no-hitter he looked like crap. If he can't be at least a competent innings-eater, that's big trouble, especially with the bullpen woes.

right now its just a matter of getting to their pen. The Tigers are going to have to come out slugging until their starting pitching picks up, and that just isnt happening right now. The Sox hitters realized that getting into the bullpen is the way to go, and they did it right

from the get-go in the series.

Once again, im glad the Sox dont face Rogers this series.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)
Coincidence. I'm sure some WS winners had 4-game losing streaks. Just because it didn't happen at the start of the season doesn't mean much.

What should worry them more is how wretched Dontrelle looked yesterday. Even when he was throwing a no-hitter he looked like crap. If he can't be at least a competent innings-eater, that's big trouble, especially with the bullpen woes.

Willis had some positives. He only gave up 1 hit. His walks were ridiculous and 0 strikeouts have to be a concern, but he has something to work with. I just don't think the Tigers can win if they can't do anything about their bullpen. You cannot win today with a bad bullpen.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
Willis had some positives. He only gave up 1 hit. His walks were ridiculous and 0 strikeouts have to be a concern, but he has something to work with. I just don't think the Tigers can win if they can't do anything about their bullpen. You cannot win today with a bad bullpen.

Im sure he would have given up more hits if the ball was near the strike zone though.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:14 PM)

The low number of hits is not impressive, imo. Why swing when he's putting everyone on for free? And he couldn't strike out a single batter. He can't succeed like that, he can't even be adequate.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 10:42 AM)

Excellent analysis. That stat would be much more meaningful in football where 4 games is a bigger percentage of all the games played. Even in basketball and hockey, it would have slightly more meaning.

I'd be interested if any team has avoided a 4 games losing streak and not won a WS.