The "Mighty" Detroit Tigers

sox-r-us

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 6, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
Excellent analysis. That stat would be much more meaningful in football where 4 games is a bigger percentage of all the games played. Even in basketball and hockey, it would have slightly more meaning.

I'd be interested if any team has avoided a 4 games losing streak and not won a WS.

Clearly, it doesn't mean anything statistically, but I'm sure glad the Sox are 3-2 and not 0-5. For a good team like the Tigers, it shouldn't be a confidence breaker, but the problems with pitching and injuries contributing to the 0-5 start certainly aren't a surprise. DET isn't done, but they aren't making it any easier on themselves either.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 7, 2008 -> 01:50 AM)
They are already calling for Leyland's head :notworthy

http://motownsports.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7

just finished reading that thread, plus the game thread. i will say, for the most part their fans are pretty knowledgable and polite, but there are some ridiculous toolbags that post over there.

See sig.

Boston up 3-0 ..... the wrist slashing is on ...golden boy cabrera with another error at 3rd :headbang

http://motownsports.com/forums/showthread....8552&page=9

Some of the posts in the game thread are hilarious:

===============

Sometimes you just run into seven (and counting) good pitchers. You've just got to tip your cap. :lolhitting

===============

I keep picturing the groundskeepers in Major League II: "They're s***ty again" or something like that. :lolhitting

This is exactly what it feels like. That the two years of good baseball are now a dream and we're back to where we were before...

===============

so we're the Baltimore Orioles now? Fat overpaid bad. :lolhitting

===============

Grilli warming up. It's gonna get worse before it gets better...

===============

The Giants are the worst team in baseball and even THEY'VE won a ****ing game. :lolhitting

===============

Hey... remember in our home opener? It was like the 5th or 6th inning, verlander's cruising along with 1 hit. We're up 3-0. Remember that? The promise of a new season. Cabrera homered. Life was good back then. We had the whole season ahead of us.

===============

Given how Grilli's repeatedly trotted out there I really don't think teh Tigers will admit that they messed up by insisting Cabrera plays 3B. They told us they scouted him and that he's a good 3B and dagummit that's the way it's gonna be.

Did we get a dog for the next 8 years?

===============

Phew....about time a good hitter comes to the plate........Jones is up.

===============

Oh wait, I forgot Pudge was up. An obvious strikeout.

===============

Leyland on Pudge in Spring Training: "As locked in as I've ever seen him."

===============

.000 with runners on and two outs. Pathetic.

===================

Another piss poor at bat from a piss poor player. Leyland should be fired for not throwing things in the dugout right now.

===================

I think I died a little bit with that pop-out. *sigh*

===================

****ing christ almighty the douchebag walked in a god damn run (this is for Grilli)

===============

Cut him (Grilli). No excuses. Cut him now. Right now. Before the game ends.

BINGO. Accountability must start now, we're starting to reach Tigers are an overpayed Joke team, really quickly.

April fools IS over right guys?

=================

I wonder what we could get for Grilli on the trade market...

We would have to leave him on someone's doorstep and RUN! :lolhitting

================

I don't even know where cabrera likes the ball, cause I've never seen him hit one.

==============

time for 6 runs!

we don't have 3 days :lolhitting

Edited by sox-r-us

everyone speaking for the tigers always says "well it's early". yeah it's early, but the way they're playing, it's really difficult for an entire team to push the ON button at the same time, and they could easily struggle all year long, ala the 2007 Chicago White Sox

this is a very real possibility, i'd just like everyone to realize that ;) no, they won't go win-less all year, but they could very well be a .500 or below team just for the same reason the 07 sox were, starting off on a very slow start, terrible bullpen, 'OK' starting pitching, and all of the hitters are putting inordinant amounts of pressure on themselves trying to hit and ultimately extending their slump throughout most of the year

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
I agree, their bats will heat up. It seems like they're just waiting for one guy to get a big hit. BUT, I do not believe their bullpen woes are going away anytime soon.

their bats will heat up but not to the level they did last year....

magglio won't hit .363, polanco won't hit .341, granderson even when healthy likely won't go 20-20-20-20 again, sheffield is a year older and perhaps another year without roids and always an injury waiting to happen, Renteria has been a terrible AL player, pudge is allergic to walking, jacque jones hit 5 HR in an entire year last year in a park where alot of games lazy fly balls to center turn into HR....yes they added cabrera, but he has to adjust to a new and more difficult league

their bullpen is god awful, and looks to have no help on the way

their rotation is average....willis cant throw strikes, rogers is old but decent at least, bondermans career best ERA isnt even under 4 and his career average is nearly 4.8, robertson is solid and verlander is very good...Heres the KEY though....that rotation is going to have to adjust...teams already know to get the starters pitch counts up early to get into that bullpen....we got into the pen all series and rogers threw 60 pitches in 3 innings today....thats not gonna cut it for them

that team reminds me of the white sox so much just a year later....sox go all the way in 05, very good but miss playoffs in 06, bad in 07....tigers nearly go all the way in 06, very good but miss the playoffs in 07, and maybe bad in 08

I can't remember if it's Olney or Stark on espn.com, but they were saying that no team has ever won the WS after going 0-6 and only two teams, the Yankees and I think last years Rockies ever made it to the playoffs. They are in trouble. You don't want to get in that big of a hole to start off the season...I mean, it's going to take a week of games just to get BACK to .500.

And in my head, my little sarcastic voice is saying...Awwwwwww...that's too bad.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
their bats will heat up but not to the level they did last year....

magglio won't hit .363, polanco won't hit .341, granderson even when healthy likely won't go 20-20-20-20 again, sheffield is a year older and perhaps another year without roids and always an injury waiting to happen, Renteria has been a terrible AL player, pudge is allergic to walking, jacque jones hit 5 HR in an entire year last year in a park where alot of games lazy fly balls to center turn into HR....yes they added cabrera, but he has to adjust to a new and more difficult league

their bullpen is god awful, and looks to have no help on the way

their rotation is average....willis cant throw strikes, rogers is old but decent at least, bondermans career best ERA isnt even under 4 and his career average is nearly 4.8, robertson is solid and verlander is very good...Heres the KEY though....that rotation is going to have to adjust...teams already know to get the starters pitch counts up early to get into that bullpen....we got into the pen all series and rogers threw 60 pitches in 3 innings today....thats not gonna cut it for them

that team reminds me of the white sox so much just a year later....sox go all the way in 05, very good but miss playoffs in 06, bad in 07....tigers nearly go all the way in 06, very good but miss the playoffs in 07, and maybe bad in 08

Well...they added Miguel Cabrera. The Sox added Darin Erstad.

The bullpen will eventually get help. Rodney's been slow to recover, but he'll return in time. Zumaya will return middle-late. Granderson's looked like a pretty remarkable talent, whether or not he goes 20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-..., and one bad year doesn't convince me that Renteria is incapable of playing in the AL.

If everything continues to implode for them, hey, great. But I think it's unlikely that we're looking at anything like a 72-win team.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 09:33 PM)

The bullpen will eventually get help. Rodney's been slow to recover, but he'll return in time. Zumaya will return middle-late. Granderson's looked like a pretty remarkable talent, whether or not he goes 20-20-20-20-20-20-20-20-..., and one bad year doesn't convince me that Renteria is incapable of playing in the AL.

If everything continues to implode for them, hey, great. But I think it's unlikely that we're looking at anything like a 72-win team.

Rodney's return has been delayed; and according to Leyland, Zumaya is "light years out" .... buh bye season

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ Apr 8, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)

Can't remember where I heard it, but basically they were saying that getting bullpen help this early in the season is not easy. For the most part, bullpen pitchers are cheap. So, teams aren't going to want to give anything up, at least until the deadline, and by that time, the Tigs might be out of it. Rodney's unreliable...Zumaya too. Should be a very interesting time for them because the help is going to have to come from the farm teams or a retread that is currently out of baseball.