Danks tries to dam the (West)brook..

TitoMB345

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:03 AM)
It would have been great to take 2 of 3 from CLE on the road. But at this point, 1 of 3, considering Game 1 was won by the umpires, would not be so bad against a very good Indians team.

and Buehrle giving up 7 didn't help much either

We need to win today just so I can get rid of this sinking feeling I have that this is going to be a long horrible year.Give me some hope guys,even if its just a couple months of competitive baseball.

A win... please. I'm tired of these losses.

QUOTE(Allsox @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
I just hope we see Anderson and Ozuna in place of Ramirez/Uribe. Need a little life from the 7-9 slots as Joe is still not there yet.

Something tells me you won't see any extra life with Ozuna in the lineup, unless you want someone that'll run really hard to first while grounding out.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 09:44 AM)

Something tells me you won't see any extra life with Ozuna in the lineup, unless you want someone that'll run really hard to first while grounding out.

The difference between Ozuna and Uribe at the plate is that Ozuna actually makes contact sometimes instead of whiffing so hard at a pitch above his eye level that he blows a hat off a nearby fan's head.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:57 AM)
The difference between Ozuna and Uribe at the plate is that Ozuna actually makes contact sometimes instead of whiffing so hard at a pitch above his eye level that he blows a hat off a nearby fan's head.

I don't disagree, but the Ozuna hype on these boards gets ridiculous at times. There's a reason he's a backup.. he's not a good player.

Don't get me wrong, neither is Uribe, but given his power when he does make contact with the ball, there isn't going to be a huge difference between the two starting.

I'm ok with letting Ramirez learn to hit ML pitching (though he's looked pretty bad so far), but Uribe's short leash should be yanked. I think my head will explode if Anderson or Quentin isn't in the lineup today.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)

Why the Ozuna hate? People seem to forget, Pablo was a solid bench guy in 05 and 06 when he was healthy. He hit .328 with a .365 OBP in 2006, which was his last full season. He adds some speed, and he's not bad defensively at 2B and 3B. Hopefully they won't put him in the OF much though, because he's pretty bad out there.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 09:03 AM)
Why the Ozuna hate? People seem to forget, Pablo was a solid bench guy in 05 and 06 when he was healthy. He hit .328 with a .365 OBP in 2006, which was his last full season. He adds some speed, and he's not bad defensively at 2B and 3B. Hopefully they won't put him in the OF much though, because he's pretty bad out there.

I've always hated Ozuna as a starter. As a backup, he's somewhat valuable (assuming his speed is back, which I don't think is a given after that injury last year) as a backup infielder with a spot start every now and then. However, as a starter, he offers absolutely no patience at the plate, as well are hardly any power. Those two things combined are a very bad thing, as its unlikely that he's going to keep up the hitting at a high average. When that happens, the OBP and SLG drop, which is not encouraging at all.

I don't forget what he did in 2006, he was good. Problem is, that's the only time he's been good in his entire career. Prior to that, his highest career OPS in a season was .708 in 24 AB during his rookie year (oh, and to refute any "OPS isn't the way to value these types of players" argument, it was also a good 50 points higher than his career average, and he's a very AVG driven player). All things considered, when he's 31 and having his "breakout" year in 189 AB, I find it hard to be excited about him, especially with our managements fascination with putting him in LF (which makes him even worse of a player, although I doubt he'll be out there that much this year with our OF "depth").

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 10:02 AM)
I don't disagree, but the Ozuna hype on these boards gets ridiculous at times. There's a reason he's a backup.. he's not a good player.

Don't get me wrong, neither is Uribe, but given his power when he does make contact with the ball, there isn't going to be a huge difference between the two starting.

I don't really understand why people want Ozuna starting either, he's fine where he is as either a sparkplug or a stopgap. But when he is thrown into a full-time role his weaknesses get exposed.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)

The difference is that Uribe is one of the easiest outs in MLB. (He's been in or around the bottom 5 in OBP of all starting position players in MLB the last two years.)

So he slaps homeruns occassionally to pump up his numbers and lull Sox management into playing him.

That doesn't negate all the offensive opportunities for the team that he snuffs out.

So you think Ozuna sucks too.

Fine. But when it comes to making outs and putting the offense into a stall, he sucks much less.

Play him.