Danks tries to dam the (West)brook..

TitoMB345

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
I apparently missed the whole game, but does anyone want to give me a recap? Looks like Danks did well.

The Sox gave up 2 hits. Danks gave up 2 hits and 2 walks in 6.2. The bullpen performed quite well. Sox had a few chances to open the game up & didn't capitalize, Crede & Uribe with solo shots. Westbrook really slowed us down, both starters had strings of 11 in a row retired.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
Running catch covering decent ground. Nothing amazing...at least for Anderson.

cool, I really, really, really wish the Sox would stick him in to center and let him have a go at it, he improves the defense so much.

Just the limited sample I've seen, Swisher is a solid OF, nothing spectacular, but listening to Stone and Farmer they've mentioned on a few plays he takes good paths to balls, either flies or cutting off a ball that got down

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 11:41 AM)
cool, I really, really, really wish the Sox would stick him in to center and let him have a go at it, he improves the defense so much.

Just the limited sample I've seen, Swisher is a solid OF, nothing spectacular, but listening to Stone and Farmer they've mentioned on a few plays he takes good paths to balls, either flies or cutting off a ball that got down

Swisher had a good catch earlier running in to the wall.

But honestly, I still say there's just no one in MLB who covers the ground Anderson does in CF. He plays balls well before they're hit, he gets as good of jumps as anyone, and has really good speed. Swisher isn't bad out there it seems. Anderson is stellar.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 01:40 PM)
The Sox gave up 2 hits. Danks gave up 2 hits and 2 walks in 6.2. The bullpen performed quite well. Sox had a few chances to open the game up & didn't capitalize, Crede & Uribe with solo shots. Westbrook really slowed us down, both starters had strings of 11 in a row retired.

Sounds like an encouraging game for the Sox. Danks being good could be huge for this team, as is the bullpen doing as well as the box score suggests.

0-162 season averted! Rejoice!

Funny how the 2 players everyone (including me) want off the team generated the only runs for the Sox.

Danks pitched a hell of a game, and Linebrink/Jenks looked solid. Nice to close out a tight game.

Winning 1-run games are critical to success. We won a bunch in 2005 and lost a bunch in 2007.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 12:48 PM)
Listening to the post-game, it sounds like Jermaine had a terrible day out there in RF. Any details from those who watched it?

He doesn't know how to get the f*** out of the way when there's a high flyball in the gap.

There's absolutely no excuse for playing him in RF with Carlos Quentin in the lineup. Jermaine is probably the 4th best RF on this team right now.

Well I called it that CQ should be in the game today, glad to see him in there and Swish in Center. Good Stuff

Glad we got the win, wish Danks was credited with it, but whatever its still a win.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 01:52 PM)
He doesn't know how to get the f*** out of the way when there's a high flyball in the gap.

There's absolutely no excuse for playing him in RF with Carlos Quentin in the lineup. Jermaine is probably the 4th best RF on this team right now.

Sounds about right. I still don't understand why Dye is still on this team, or why we gave him that extension. An OF of Swisher-BA-Quentin would be much better, both offensively and defensively.

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:55 PM)
Sounds about right. I still don't understand why Dye is still on this team, or why we gave him that extension. An OF of Swisher-BA-Quentin would be much better, both offensively and defensively.

I guess that would depend on what your plans would be if Anderson hits .235 for the first half of the season and Quentin gets hurt again and/or stays hitting around his career average. I mean, yeah, ideally it'd be nice to see both of those guys performing to their full potential but what about when you don't have access to a crystal ball?

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)
I guess that would depend on what your plans would be if Anderson hits .235 for the first half of the season and Quentin gets hurt again and/or stays hitting around his career average. I mean, yeah, ideally it'd be nice to see both of those guys performing to their full potential but what about when you don't have access to a crystal ball?

stop interjecting facts and common sense into this thread, seriously nobody wants to read that crap!

;)

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE(joesaiditstrue @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 03:08 PM)
stop interjecting truth and common sense into this thread, seriously nobody wants to read that crap!

;)

Haha. my bad.

WHY THE HELL DO WE HAVE DYE PLAYING WHEN WE HAVE 2 ALL-STARS ON THE BENCH

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 01:55 PM)

What???

I'd like to see Quentin and Brian actually prove they can hit major league pitching before taking a gimmee 30 homeruns and 90 RBIs out of the lineup.

QUOTE(scenario @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 03:09 PM)
What???

I'd like to see Quentin and Brian actually prove they can hit major league pitching before taking a gimmee 30 homeruns and 90 RBIs out of the lineup.

Basically.

Saying Dye should be in LF is one thing, saying we should take a .800-.900 OPS player out of the middle of our lineup is quite another.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:05 PM)

I don't disagree that it wouldn't be the best decision if we were a championship caliber team right now. However, realistically, we aren't going to win anything big this year. I think that you have to accept that fact, and based off of that, we should give our young players that have some potential some time getting regular playing time in the bigs. If we keep using them as backups, they aren't going to get their regular play, making it that much tougher for them to get into a groove and build up their confidence.

Instead, we gave a statue a multi-year extension when we already have both a 1B and DH. Defense is very important for a team whose pitching staff doesn't strike people out, which is definitely the case with all of our starters with the exception of possibly Vasquez.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Basically.

Saying Dye should be in LF is one thing, saying we should take a .800-.900 OPS player out of the middle of our lineup is quite another.

Especially considering that despite his defensive shortcomings, Jermaine has looked awfully good at the plate this series.

The Ranger was just speaking to this a few minutes ago, saying he envisions Dye taking over at DH next season. Which begs the question, would we rather have Dye at DH for $11 million, or Thome at DH for $13 million, and what will we do with the other one? Keep in mind Thome's option automatically triggers if Thome reaches 600 PA's this year, or 1,100 PA's between 07' and 08'. I believe Thome had 536 PA's last season, so he would need 564 this season to reach 1,100.