Danks tries to dam the (West)brook..

TitoMB345

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:20 PM)
Especially considering that despite his defensive shortcomings, Jermaine has looked awfully good at the plate this series.

The Ranger was just speaking to this a few minutes ago, saying he envisions Dye taking over at DH next season. Which begs the question, would we rather have Dye at DH for $11 million, or Thome at DH for $13 million, and what will we do with the other one? Keep in mind Thome's option automatically triggers if Thome reaches 600 PA's this year, or 1,100 PA's between 07' and 08'. I believe Thome had 536 PA's last season, so he would need 564 this season to reach 1,100.

A lineup with Dye at DH and a combination of our young outfielders in the OF would be better than Thome at DH and Dye in RF, I think. Our defense would be drastically improved, and we'd probably take a step back offensively in the start, but it would come along as the year went on for the young guys. Thome's getting up there in the years, and with his powerful swing, I can't imagine him being able to stay healthy for that much longer.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Felix @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:24 PM)
A lineup with Dye at DH and a combination of our young outfielders in the OF would be better than Thome at DH and Dye in RF, I think. Our defense would be drastically improved, and we'd probably take a step back offensively in the start, but it would come along as the year went on for the young guys. Thome's getting up there in the years, and with his powerful swing, I can't imagine him being able to stay healthy for that much longer.

Well, people have been saying that about Thome for about 3 years now.

Personally, I'd rather try and get Dye waive his NTC and keep Thome, but trading either one would be quite a difficult task...

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 12:05 PM)
I guess that would depend on what your plans would be if Anderson hits .235 for the first half of the season and Quentin gets hurt again and/or stays hitting around his career average. I mean, yeah, ideally it'd be nice to see both of those guys performing to their full potential but what about when you don't have access to a crystal ball?

Dye is better than every one of those players mentioned in the outfield (not your post, but the post you quoted). I absolutely don't get the idea where people just think cause a player is young that they are better than the veteran. Dye may not be an MVP type player (he was for one season though, even if he didn't win the award he was amazing that season) but he is an all star caliber player and last I looked besides Swisher the other two are far from being all stars.

Brian Anderson would be lucky to put pu the numbers Dye has on a down year (see last years stats, which was a down JD year, yet the numbers were still pretty solid) and Swisher (who has a better OBP and whom I like a lot) can't hit for near the average JD can and JD has just as much power (of course given a straight up choice I'm taking Swisher over JD but that has more to do with age and upside as opposed to anything else).

Say what you want about JD, but he's still an above average right fielder (offensively he's above average and defensively he's average, maybe slightly below).

Fell asleep soon after Crede hit his HR so glad to see they held on 2.5 hours later.. :D

Danks was, obviously, very good. His change up is filthy. Wish we executed better with guys on base.

Edited by Brian

To put Danks' performance into perspective:

This was his first MLB start he had giving up 2 or less hits. His previous low was 3.

He only had one start longer than his today all of last year (8IP vs KC).

He only had 3 starts where he went at least 6 innings and let up 1 run or less all of last year.

His 6.2 IP start without giving up a HR was the longest he has went in a start without giving up a HR.

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(iamshack @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 01:20 PM)
Especially considering that despite his defensive shortcomings, Jermaine has looked awfully good at the plate this series.

The Ranger was just speaking to this a few minutes ago, saying he envisions Dye taking over at DH next season. Which begs the question, would we rather have Dye at DH for $11 million, or Thome at DH for $13 million, and what will we do with the other one? Keep in mind Thome's option automatically triggers if Thome reaches 600 PA's this year, or 1,100 PA's between 07' and 08'. I believe Thome had 536 PA's last season, so he would need 564 this season to reach 1,100.

Remember, there are rumors of a hand shake deal between KW and Philly that would have the Phillies kicking in some cash (around half I believe) for Thome's option year which would mean you're getting Jim Thome, who put up a .973 OPS last year on a one year deal worth under $10M.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 05:26 PM)
Capn12 and Heads, are we enforcing game threads rules this year and keeping records?

I'm helping.

Rule 1:No more than 4 posts allowed by the poster "santo=dorf" in each game thread.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 04:34 PM)
Remember, there are rumors of a hand shake deal between KW and Philly that would have the Phillies kicking in some cash (around half I believe) for Thome's option year which would mean you're getting Jim Thome, who put up a .973 OPS last year on a one year deal worth under $10M.

That seems like it would be against some sort of transaction rules, but assuming that is the case, what do we do with Dye?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 03:34 PM)

Great point, completely forgot about that.

The choice would have to be Thome hands down unless he gets injured this year. Thome has never had an OPS under .900 when he plays over 100 games. That's 12 seasons with an OPS over .900, and 5 of those were over 1.000. Dye has only 2 seasons with 100 games and an OPS over .900 (2000 and 2006).

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 04:43 PM)
Great point, completely forgot about that.

The choice would have to be Thome hands down unless he gets injured this year. Thome has never had an OPS under .900 when he plays over 100 games. That's 12 seasons with an OPS over .900, and 5 of those were over 1.000. Dye has only 2 seasons with 100 games and an OPS over .900 (2000 and 2006).

If he gets injured, the option likely won't trigger and so you would either pick it up or buy him out for $3 million...