Negative Catch All ~ House of Blues

Texsox

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just think how bad this is all gonna be in June when we should be really really into the baseball season.We are going to be watching a team that is atleast 10 games back and we will be talking complete fire sale.Oh how fun!The Sox are already ruining my spring,next will be summer then the Bears will ruin the fall.I need to stop watching sports.

Juan Uribe was half of our offense today, but he is still a really awful hitter with no plate discipline or contact ability whatsoever. Get excited about his occasional power streaks if you want but more often than not you can just add 1 out and skip him entirely to save time.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
Some team is going to get a bargain when they trade for Anderson in a month.

That's for sure. Fantastic defense, and his offense is going to be coming around sooner rather than later.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:15 PM)
Juan Uribe was half of our offense today, but he is still a really awful hitter with no plate discipline or contact ability whatsoever. Get excited about his occasional power streaks if you want but more often than not you can just add 1 out and skip him entirely to save time.

Agreed. He just happened to run into a pitch at an opportune time. He'll do that about 20 more times this year, while still only posting a low-mid 600s OPS.

QUOTE(almagest @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
Agreed. He just happened to run into a pitch at an opportune time. He'll do that about 20 more times this year, while still only posting a low-mid 600s OPS.

I will still give Uribe credit for being a fantastic defender, and arguably among the best at his position. Still, the fact that he hits HRs only makes him almost completely worthless offensively instead of completely worthless offensively.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
I will still give Uribe credit for being a fantastic defender, and arguably among the best at his position.

Which is why making him the starting 2B is baffling, because his greatest defensive asset (arm) is worthless there.

QUOTE(almagest @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 03:32 PM)
Which is why making him the starting 2B is baffling, because his greatest defensive asset (arm) is worthless there.

I was thinking earlier today, is Cabrera really that much of an upgrade over Uribe at SS? Obviously offensively, yes he is a MAJOR upgrade, it's like going from a s***ty Neon to a Mercedes. But defensively they seem about equal to me. Yes Cabrera is a GG caliber defender but if Uribe had any kind of offensive numbers at all, he'd at least have been a candidate the last few years.

Clearly and obviously Cabrera should be starting over Uribe at SS, but if they're both in the lineup I don't see why Uribe would be automatically at 2B. I guess because Uribe sucks and he isn't a fixture in the lineup the way Cabrera is and should be.

Where oh where are you, Danny Richar?

At $37M Thome-Konerko-Dye need to do something more than once a series. If the Sox are not putting pressure on teams this is where the problem will lie not with Crede, Uribe or Ramirez.

Anderson needs to play. Both games were lost in my mind becasue of defense (Cabrerra in the first game and Dye in the second) these are nice plays that should be made nothing that will make a highlight reel. Sure Buerhle should be able to minimize the damage but the more pitches you are forced to throw, the more likely it is that you will give up hits especially Buerhle. Vazquez was sailing and would have gotten through 5 innings easily if not for the Dye miscue.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
I was thinking earlier today, is Cabrera really that much of an upgrade over Uribe at SS? Obviously offensively, yes he is a MAJOR upgrade, it's like going from a s***ty Neon to a Mercedes. But defensively they seem about equal to me. Yes Cabrera is a GG caliber defender but if Uribe had any kind of offensive numbers at all, he'd at least have been a candidate the last few years.

Clearly and obviously Cabrera should be starting over Uribe at SS, but if they're both in the lineup I don't see why Uribe would be automatically at 2B. I guess because Uribe sucks and he isn't a fixture in the lineup the way Cabrera is and should be.

Where oh where are you, Danny Richar?

Ideally, I'd like to see Uribe in a pinch-hitter, 300-400 AB role at SS-3B-2B, like he had in 2004. Either that, or playing for some other team.