Negative Catch All ~ House of Blues

Texsox

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 09:37 PM)
He's already won several games for the Sox.

for $15M a year he better. No major issue with Thome.

Cabrerra is afraid of the weather that is all I can think of. He has done nothing to show me he is anything like the player they sold him to be. I thought he was good but he really has done nothing all that positive.

The squeeze with a guy that has had some success in getting the job done the last two days was as stupid a move as I have ever seen.

Edited by Jenks Heat

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 10:37 PM)
He's already won several games for the Sox.

Yeah, I've been in attendance at two of them (#500) and the 1-0 win vs. Cardinals with his HR being the only hit. Thome is the least of this club's problems.

I didn't see this opinion as popular as some other Sox sites, but how terrible of a first baseman would Swisher be? Some people thought Swisher could easily surpass Konerko's numbers, but if we pushed out Konerko, his replacement would have just been a Darin Erstad with a higher ISoD.

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I didn't see this opinion as popular as some other Sox sites, but how terrible of a first baseman would Swisher be? Some people thought Swisher could easily surpass Konerko's numbers, but if we pushed out Konerko, his replacement would have just been a Darin Erstad with a higher ISoD.

At least usually, Konerko is a surprisingly good 1b in the field. He's limited on range, but he can pick like crazy most times. Swisher probably would take some adapting to the position full time and might cause a couple extra errors on balls he misses or misplays compared to where Konerko is. Offensively though, I'm really not sure where to pencil Swish in right now. The power hasn't been there as much as I expected yet, but who knows how he's adapting to his current role.

I could live with Swisher at 1b easily...if I was happy with what happened to Konerko. But since PK is now a 10/5 player and essentially therefore has a NTC, I don't imagine he's going anywhere for a couple years. We may well draft and develop a 1b who can play that spot or have a better signing before Konerko is moved out of there.

This team just isn't very good. The OC experience has been a massive bust so far, Thome has been worthless after the 6th inning, and Dye know looks like he's never seen a pitch before in his life. With the Tigers having Granderson back, and the Indians getting strong performances from Cliff Lee, I don't see anyway this team can stay on top of the AL Central.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)
This team just isn't very good. The OC experience has been a massive bust so far, Thome has been worthless after the 6th inning, and Dye know looks like he's never seen a pitch before in his life. With the Tigers having Granderson back, and the Indians getting strong performances from Cliff Lee, I don't see anyway this team can stay on top of the AL Central.

They will wait for the magic of the softball line-up to take hold. If the pitching holds like this they have a shot. I think KW needs to make a move very soon and that move is for a speddy, left handed hitting second baseman at any cost or blow this whole thnig up.

I am also thinking they really overpaid for Nick Swisher as he seems to be a-lot of action and production other than an occasional walk.

This team is about as unclutch as possible.

KW really should be looking to to whatever is necessary to get Brian Roberts or someone with that skill set. This weekend will be really long if hte approach does nto change.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)
They're 5th in the AL and falling fast. A lot of their clutch-ness came early on. The last few days have been pathetic.

That'll happen in sub 40 degree weather with rain 6 hour games and impromptu double headers. I think we come back strong against Toronto

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
Once again false, they are tops in the MLB in batting avg with RISP.

I'm not really trying to make a case for or against anything here, but while they're high up overall (not tops) with RISP, but when you go look at after the 7th inning it drops sharply, and it plummets to below the Mendoza line when you look at RISP w/2 out.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 01:49 PM)

Thome hasn't hit period yet; he's not going to hit .220 all season.

I wouldn't complain about the offense right now because I'm still much more concerned about the pitching. Floyd looks like he's ready to fall apart any outing now and I don't know how much confidence you can have in Contreras. I'm content with Buehrle and very happy with Vazquez and Danks. I'm also not worried about the bullpen either - I think it has a chance to be a top 5 unit in the AL. And I think the offense will come around - I don't see any way the Sox will have 5 hitters with a sub .230 average. Two, surely I can see that - not more than half the lineup though.

I'd say back away from the ledge until atleast June, and then we'll have a real good grasp of how good this team is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 05:29 PM)
Floyd looks like he's ready to fall apart any outing now and I don't know how much confidence you can have in Contreras.

How so? I don't get to see every game. The one time I saw Floyd pitch in person was at Baltimore, and he looked dominant.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 04:32 PM)
How so? I don't get to see every game. The one time I saw Floyd pitch in person was at Baltimore, and he looked dominant.

Mediocre K/BB, low ground ball percentage, and teams are starting to be patient and just wait for their pitch.

I'm a fan of Floyd, but he's just looked a bit lost at times. His change is pretty damn good now a days though...if he can work his fastball in with that and use his breaking stuff a little more sporadically, I'd love him.

Basically, good lineups will hit him, bad lineups generally will not...about a #4 starter.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
That'll happen in sub 40 degree weather with rain 6 hour games and impromptu double headers. I think we come back strong against Toronto

Those are facts? seems like an opinion to me.

Edited by Soxpranos

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
Mediocre K/BB, low ground ball percentage, and teams are starting to be patient and just wait for their pitch.

I'm a fan of Floyd, but he's just looked a bit lost at times. His change is pretty damn good now a days though...if he can work his fastball in with that and use his breaking stuff a little more sporadically, I'd love him.

Basically, good lineups will hit him, bad lineups generally will not...about a #4 starter.

I optimistically expected #4 quality out of him actually and pessimistically expected him to be s***-canned and have Broadway replace him, but what he's been so far is like potential ace stuff. Far exceeding anything I thought he'd do. I can't reasonably expect him to have a sub-3 ERA all year. But frequent QS's, probably.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 05:29 PM)
Thome hasn't hit period yet; he's not going to hit .220 all season.

I wouldn't complain about the offense right now because I'm still much more concerned about the pitching. Floyd looks like he's ready to fall apart any outing now and I don't know how much confidence you can have in Contreras. I'm content with Buehrle and very happy with Vazquez and Danks. I'm also not worried about the bullpen either - I think it has a chance to be a top 5 unit in the AL. And I think the offense will come around - I don't see any way the Sox will have 5 hitters with a sub .230 average. Two, surely I can see that - not more than half the lineup though.

I'd say back away from the ledge until atleast June, and then we'll have a real good grasp of how good this team is.

If we are going on facts, Mark has the worst WHIP of all our starters.

QUOTE (Soxpranos @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 05:03 PM)
If we are going on facts, Mark has the worst WHIP of all our starters.

He also has the lowest career ERA of any of the starters too.

Why does everything have to be fact? It's of my opinion that Buehrle will be fine - I don't really see anything uncorrectable in his stats line, and, seeing as how in his past 4 starts he has a 3.67 ERA and allowed 1 homer in 27 innings, I don't think that opinion is wrong. He had an absolutely terrible opener, but he's been perfectly fine since that point in time.

I'll also put it out there and say that your posts are the kind of snarky posts that piss people off. I'm a smartass and cocky a lot of times, but I never have any venom in any of my posts...sometimes people don't see that, but I never do. You, on the other hand, seemingly almost always have that venom.

Ready to puke, check out Jim Thome's stats from the 7th inning on this season....

3 for 23, 2b, rbi, 5 BB, and 11 K

Maybe it'd help if he'd hit the ball where it's pitched in crucial situations instead out grounding out or popping up to the second baseman/rightfielder. I like Thome but your stats are interesting.

Edited by greg775