THAT'S A WHITE SOX WINNER!

knightni

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
Javy had good stuff, he just didn't have his command and that was due to the cold. If Javy is healthy I wouldn't be shocked to see him win 20 games. Yep, I made that prediction and I'm sticking to it. He has a great arm, good command, and has really improved his mechanics/presence with runners on base (where he used to really struggle).

I really believe the 3/4/5 will be the x-factors this year just as Contreras/Garland/El Duque were the X-Factors of 05.

I've been saying the same thing for a while, and I also wouldn't be surprised to see him be in the running for Cy Young either. He should have had an exta 7-8 wins last year, at least, but thanks to either no offense or the horrible effort by our pen, he lost out on getting those W's.

Plus, the Indians offense did a great job laying off of some pitchers pitches last night and making Javy work. But, once the weather warms up, and he can get a better grip on the ball, I expect him to get back to doing his usual and having great accuracy.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know its one game but Danks is slowly proving that he can be a pretty damn good pitcher. Now the key is to sustain at this level and be consistent through out the year. No 2nd half collapses. If Floyd can get off to a good start this year than you know KW will be smiling wide... Hopefully he took notes from the KC pitchers ;)

well I still think Crede and Uribe shouldn't be anywhere near this roster, they came through today... I guess the law of averages states that if you get so many chances, you're bound to actually put good wood on the ball once in a while.

If you guys think Uribe and Crede don't walk enough you should see Ivan Rodriguez these days. He walked a whopping 9 times last year and the difference in his average and OBP was 13 points. That's hilarious to me for some reason. It's not like he strikes out a ton like Thome or something either, it's just like he refuses to walk.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 06:28 PM)
If you guys think Uribe and Crede don't walk enough you should see Ivan Rodriguez these days. He walked a whopping 9 times last year and the difference in his average and OBP was 13 points. That's hilarious to me for some reason. It's not like he strikes out a ton like Thome or something either, it's just like he refuses to walk.

yell, Rodriguez makes up for his low walk rate/OBP by being one of the best defensive catchers in the league, and still be a good hitter. Unlike Uribe, Rodriguez is able to actually hit as evident by his usally decent avg.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:38 PM)
yell, Rodriguez makes up for his low walk rate/OBP by being one of the best defensive catchers in the league, and still be a good hitter. Unlike Uribe, Rodriguez is able to actually hit as evident by his usally decent avg.

Thank you. I was hoping someone wasn't trying to compare arguably the best catcher of all time to Juan Uribe. Please, please get Uribe off my team, NOW!!!!

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 09:38 PM)

I'm not saying Rodriguez is a s***ty player by any means, but he has a really horrible OBP for a player of his caliber.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 09:52 PM)
I was hoping someone wasn't trying to compare arguably the best catcher of all time to Juan Uribe.

lol, making an offhand statement that Ivan Rodriguez doesn't walk is comparing him to Juan Uribe... nice. Where could you possibly draw a conclusion like that?

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
I'm not saying Rodriguez is a s***ty player by any means, but he has a really horrible OBP for a player of his caliber.

well, he's been catching in the bigs for almost 20 years now... His bat has slowed down, and his legs are probably not feeling all that great these days.

Fantastic first start for Danksy. He's shown what he's capable of now, the key will be how he fares against teams such as Cleveland again when they have seen him (especially the new cutter).

Not much offense, but clutch HR's from Uribe and Crede were enough to get the job done.

Big win, allowing us to avoid the sweep, and to go to Detroit, who haven't started off the season well either (getting swept by KC at home, ouch).

Will be an interesting series.

i don't know why people got down on danks. he wasn't expected to make the team last year, but made it, looked good with poor run support, then tailed off late in the season when he'd thrown more innings than he ever had before. to me it wasn't that complicated why he crapped out late.

i think he'll have a nice year. and i agree with jason that i could see him as a no. 2, especially if he's able to throw the cutter consistently. that gives him a real nice mix.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 10:09 PM)
well, he's been catching in the bigs for almost 20 years now... His bat has slowed down, and his legs are probably not feeling all that great these days.

Hence me saying "these days"

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)

Of his caliber? He's the 7th hitter, and once Granderson gets healthy, he'll be the 8th or 9th hitter in the lineup with Inge getting bumped to the bench.

He's not a real good player anymore, and he does have a s***ty OBP, but he does make up for that somewhat by hitting at a decent clip. Juan Uribe hits .230-.240, and that's why people are upset with him.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 10:42 PM)
Of his caliber? He's the 7th hitter, and once Granderson gets healthy, he'll be the 8th or 9th hitter in the lineup with Inge getting bumped to the bench.

He's not a real good player anymore, and he does have a s***ty OBP, but he does make up for that somewhat by hitting at a decent clip. Juan Uribe hits .230-.240, and that's why people are upset with him.

All I'm saying is you'd expect someone who is eventually going to the Hall of Fame to be drawing more than 9 walks a year.

QUOTE(lostfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 09:47 PM)
All I'm saying is you'd expect someone who is eventually going to the Hall of Fame to be drawing more than 9 walks a year.

He only walked 24 times in 1999 when he won the MVP too.

It's really not that big of a deal to me. He's never been a patient hitter, and he didn't play in 33 games last year. If he sees a lot of pitches he wants to swing at, more power to him.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 09:42 PM)

I dont see a valid point ur trying to make here witesox, yea he hits 7 hole but have you seen that lineup?? take a look at that all star lienup and you might rethink what you said...I could care less for Pudge but its unfair to make an assessment on him because he hits low on a team full of massive amounts of talent...

QUOTE(peanut33tillman @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 10:54 PM)
I dont see a valid point ur trying to make here witesox, yea he hits 7 hole but have you seen that lineup?? take a look at that all star lienup and you might rethink what you said...I could care less for Pudge but its unfair to make an assessment on him because he hits low on a team full of massive amounts of talent...

He'd bat 7th or lower in the White Sox lineup too. He's not that good offensively anymore.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 11:11 PM)
Ivan Rodriguez's OPS was .002 points higher than AJ Pierzynski's last season.

AJ's a tad overrated, but he had a pretty poor year last year too. All of his splits were below his career averages. IRod's were too, but you sort of expect that out of a 35 year old catcher.