Fukudome

sox-r-us

He is looking really good, for someone who has never seen MLB pitching.....great eye for walks; excellent OBP etc

Which makes me mad because we offered him more money but could not have him because he wanted to be the 1st Japanese player on a club. He would have been perfect in RF for the Sox (moving Dye to LF).....Woulda coulda shoulda....but dang it, his OBP and plate discipline is exactly what the Sox need more of.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 07:28 PM)
He is looking really good, for someone who has never seen MLB pitching.....great eye for walks; excellent OBP etc

Which makes me mad because we offered him more money but could not have him because he wanted to be the 1st Japanese player on a club. He would have been perfect in RF for the Sox (moving Dye to LF).....Woulda coulda shoulda....but dang it, his OBP and plate discipline is exactly what the Sox need more of.

That was a lame excuse...he was Cubs bound all along.

QUOTE(Friend of Nordhagen @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 02:33 PM)
Just so you guys know, I've booked my room at Cooperstown for July 2020. I want to be there when Fukudome is inducted. Let me know if you want in on a block of rooms.

He will never make the HOF.

Hes an older player, gonna need to string together a lot of strong years to even be considered.

Who cares we didn't get him, they overpaid for his contract, I'd rather have a younger guy in Alexei personally.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 05:35 PM)
He will never make the HOF.

Hes an older player, gonna need to string together a lot of strong years to even be considered.

Who cares we didn't get him, they overpaid for his contract, I'd rather have a younger guy in Alexei personally.

They didn't overpay at all... if he ends up performing anything like he's been expected to perform, that's about what you'd pay a veteran MLB player with similar stats.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 05:31 PM)
Ozzie has to play Quentin regularly for him to prove anything.

True, but doesnt he have like 5 more years to get to where Fuk is?

And I think Quentin will be starting for this team by the end of the season. His bat and glove are too good to keep on the bench.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
Yeah, it's really too bad we had to go and sign Tadahito Iguchi, a huge contributor to the 2005 Championship Team.

I think the "Shingo + iguchi hurt us" point he was trying to make was that both players did not stay on the Sox, which somehow factored into Fukodome's decision to go to the Cubs.

And I dont agree with that. It isnt as if the Sox treated either player badly and didnt give both players a chance to play and succeed

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Apr 3, 2008 -> 06:58 PM)
I think the "Shingo + iguchi hurt us" point he was trying to make was that both players did not stay on the Sox, which somehow factored into Fukodome's decision to go to the Cubs.

And I dont agree with that. It isnt as if the Sox treated either player badly and didnt give both players a chance to play and succeed

No... Fukudome said he wanted to be the first Japanese player on a team, and obviously that couldn't be the Sox since we had 2 already.