Danks (0-0) vs. Baker (1-0): MAKE IT SIX!

TitoMB345

This is from ESPN...

2. Can Baker avoid another beating from the White Sox?

Twins right-hander Scott Baker will be walking into a familiar buzzsaw when he takes the mound against the White Sox tonight. Baker was obliterated in his three starts against the Sox last year, allowing 16 runs on 24 hits over 10 innings. The White Sox batted an alarming .500 with a 1.257 OPS against him. Things don't promise to be much easier for Baker tonight as the White Sox currently rank among the major league leaders in runs, home runs and OPS.

However, the Chicago offense has many different faces in the lineup than the one that Baker struggled against last year. Gone are Darin Erstad, Tadihito Iguchi, Rob Mackowiak, and Alex Cintron. Furthermore, Josh Fields is in the minors and Jerry Owens is injured. Those six batted a combined .636 (14-22) against Baker a year ago. Moreover, many among the current Sox regulars have not had much success in their careers against Baker. To wit, Jim Thome, Jermaine Dye, A.J. Pierzynski, Juan Uribe and Nick Swisher are a combined 5-for-31 (.161) lifetime against the Twins starter.

Meanwhile, Paul Konerko, Joe Crede and Orlando Cabrera are a career 12-for-29 (.414) off of Baker. In looking at the two sluggers who hit Baker the hardest as members of the Sox last year (Konerko and Crede) our research shows the Twins right-hander pitched to their strengths.

Several trends jump out when evaluating Crede's stats since the start of last season, among them:

• He has hit .292 vs. fastballs.

• He has hit .180 vs. off-speed pitches.

• He has a .412 batting average and .588 well-hit-average against first pitches.

So what happened last year the two times Baker faced Crede? In their first at-bat, six of the eight pitches were fastballs, the last of which Crede stung for a double. The second time they squared off, Baker went with an off-speed offering on his first pitch but left it over the plate and Crede laced it for a single.

Konerko is also a good fastball and first-pitch hitter. In fact, some of his numbers are very similar to Crede's. Witness his stats since the start of last season:

• He has ht .295 vs. fastballs.

• He has hit .181 vs. off-speed pitches.

• He has a .492 well-hit average against first pitches.

Not surprisingly given the results, 16 of the 22 pitches that Baker threw Konerko last year were fastballs and all three of Konerko's hits were off of fastballs, including a first-pitch homer on a heater over the heart of the plate.

While there is little guarantee Baker will have better luck against the hot-swinging Sox tonight, he would be well-served to mix in more curves, sliders and changeups when facing the two Sox batsmen who have hurt him the most.

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Familiar lineup: Swish, CF; OC, SS; Thome, DH; PK, 1B; Dye, RF; AJ, C; Quentin, LF; Crede, 3B; Uribe, 2B. Danks pitching.

From Reifert's blog.

Looks like Paulie and Crede should be popular picks to click based on the daa84's post.

Edited by Disco72

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Familiar lineup: Swish, CF; OC, SS; Thome, DH; PK, 1B; Dye, RF; AJ, C; Quentin, LF; Crede, 3B; Uribe, 2B. Danks pitching.

From Reifert's blog.

Looks like Paulie and Crede should be popular picks to click based on the daa84's post.

Where are you seeing these lineups at?

MLB doesn't have them up nor does Yahoo from what I see.

Im getting sick of seeing Uribe in the lineup he hasn't impressed me, his fielding has been good but besides that hes worhtless.

Edit: Nvm, they are up now.

Edited by ChWRoCk2

QUOTE (ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 06:18 PM)
Where are you seeing these lineups at?

MLB doesn't have them up nor does Yahoo from what I see.

Im getting sick of seeing Uribe in the lineup he hasn't impressed me, his fielding has been good but besides that hes worhtless.

We've been hitting well with the lineup and the defense has been good too. I wouldn't change it. Uribe's defense has been enough to make up for his inefficiencies on offense, though he's been srawing some walks and had a couple nice hits when we needed them.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 05:09 PM)
Are games that are on WCIU not on the baseball package? I'm looking through my comcast, and I'm seeing nothing for the White Sox game.

Usually not. Not sure if the FSN North feed should be on there. I noticed it wasn't listed as well.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
Answer to my question? Anybody?

Seriously...I'm f***in pissed right now. That's why I bought MLB Extra Innings!!!!!!!!!! And I'm in goddamn Arizona!!!

QUOTE (Wanne @ Apr 9, 2008 -> 07:10 PM)
Seriously...I'm f***in pissed right now. That's why I bought MLB Extra Innings!!!!!!!!!! And I'm in goddamn Arizona!!!

At least you're not less than 2 hours from the park and not able to see the game. I hate WCIU.