2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 04:33 PM)
I'd take Danks over Zambrano, especially the way Z is throwing the ball lately. However, I do agree with you. This Cubs team is enormously talented. I didn't know Marmol hadn't allowed a hit in like 12 appearances.

That was the one that popped in my head as well. Floyd has been pretty good as well but I am not ready to give him the nod here.Otherwise, this season, on any given day, I would probably go with the Cubs top three over the other 4 Sox starters.

Overall, I think this Cubs team will win the pennant and put up a pretty good fight in the world series. I hope it doesn't happen, but I do not see the rest of the NL beating them, unless someone gets goofy hot like the Rockies did last year. They are likely to have home field throughout the playoffs and we all know how tough they have been at Wrigley Field this year. They also wear down starting pitching and get into other teams' bullpens which has really worked wonders for them all year. The series will be tougher though since they will have to start on the road and might not be able to build momentum.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 04:30 PM)
Let's not get crazy here. Cubs aren't just an "the NL sucks" team. Look at the talent they have on that team. Also, there aren't 5 teams in the AL better than them.

Cubs still have the best overall 3 starters in baseball compared to any other team, and as B&B were talking about yesterday, which one of the Sox pitchers would you take over any of those 3 in the playoffs? Likely none of them.

I hate the cubs fans as much as the next guy, but let's not act like we have a world beater team and their team sucks. It just makes us look like a bunch of idiots.

Dempster is over double his IP from last year and hasn't thrown over 125 innings since 2003, I wonder if he can keep it up.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 09:26 PM)
Should of contracted the Expos when the had the chance.

Do the Nationals even have any minor league prospects that are touted? I'm still up in the air on Zimmerman.

I'm a fan of Michael Burgess. Don't forget that they couldn't sign Crow. I promise I won't watch a second of this weekend series.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
I'm a fan of Michael Burgess. Don't forget that they couldn't sign Crow. I promise I won't watch a second of this weekend series.

That is a false statement and you know it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 03:48 PM)
Guaranteed...I've hardly watched any Cubs games over the past month.

You just missed a Willie Harris Grand Slam to put the Nationals up. Hilarious.

I was at a Cubs/Sox game a few years ago when Chelios was there with the Stanley Cup and the majority of fans boo'd him and rightfully so since we hate Detroit. Wonder if the boo'd it again today.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:04 PM)
I was at a Cubs/Sox game a few years ago when Chelios was there with the Stanley Cup and the majority of fans boo'd him and rightfully so since we hate Detroit. Wonder if the boo'd it again today.

I would never boo the Cup, but I'd certainly boo Cheap Shot Chelios.

I love the Wings but I can't stomach that tool.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)

You're a Red Wings fan, but it was arrogant and garbage to bring the Stanley Cup, that Detroit won, to Chicago to show it off like we would embrace it.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:08 PM)
You're a Red Wings fan, but it was arrogant and garbage to bring the Stanley Cup, that Detroit won, to Chicago to show it off like we would embrace it.

Agreed.

It's exactly the sort of dick move a steaming pile like Chelios would pull.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:07 PM)

He's a chicago boy who played hockey and lived here for many years. I would never boo Chelios.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 03:55 PM)
Neal Cotts vs. water coolers

Did he beat up on them? Jeez. It's an August game with a 5.5 game lead, when the Cubs have been on a big winning streak. That team is wired a bit tight, no? Anyone remember Ted Lilly last October in Arizona? At least, Cotts didn't do his business on the mound, like that 3rd grader Lilly.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 03:18 PM)
Huh? Do you remember who he even is? Choi never had great value, he straight up stole DLEE, and it was a GREAT move.

He stole Aramis too, hell Randall Simon and I think Kenny Lofton were in that trade too that were big boosts for the cubs during that season as well.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:18 PM)
Huh? Do you remember who he even is? Choi never had great value, he straight up stole DLEE, and it was a GREAT move.

Choi supposedly had a lot of upside and was touted. Hendry would never have gotten anything for him if he waited another year, hence he sold high on him.