2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:27 PM)
He stole Aramis too, hell Randall Simon and I think Kenny Lofton were in that trade too that were big boosts for the cubs during that season as well.

The Aramis trade and the Quentin trade are very similar in terms of getting organization-changing players. Hell, at least Chris Carter could be something in the majors. Bobby Hill just sucked.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:27 PM)
He stole Aramis too, hell Randall Simon and I think Kenny Lofton were in that trade too that were big boosts for the cubs during that season as well.

Simon was a separate trade. The Pirates acquired Ray Sadler for Simon, so you can see why they couldn't pass up THAT deal.

The Aramis robbery was Ramirez and Lofton for Jose Hernandez, THE GREAT Bobby Hill and some other nobody.

Edited by The Critic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 02:32 PM)
The Aramis trade and the Quentin trade are very similar in terms of getting organization-changing players. Hell, at least Chris Carter could be something in the majors. Bobby Hill just sucked.

I'd say one big difference is the scale of the numbers each of the 2 had put up before being traded. Ramirez had nearly 2000 at bats as a Pirate before being traded, and had already put together a full season with an OPS of nearly 900.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:35 PM)
I'd say one big difference is the scale of the numbers each of the 2 had put up before being traded. Ramirez had nearly 2000 at bats as a Pirate before being traded, and had already put together a full season with an OPS of nearly 900.

Agreed, and the Pirates had soured on him because of his terrible attitude/effort, as well as escalating salary. It's more comparable due to you wonder why in the hell would the initial organization give up a talent like that. But what do I know, the Pirates were able to replace Aramis at 3rd base with Doug Mientkiewicz this season.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:35 PM)

Ramirez was tanking it that year -- seriously bad attitude before the trade. This is the reason I've always called him "The Baseball Vince Carter."

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 05:37 PM)
Could Len Kasper possibly stroke the Cubs and their fans more? Reed Johnson tries to bunt for a single, and he's "unselfish." He hits a 1-1 pitch for a bouncing double, and he's had a "quality at-bat." Oh, and even though 1/3 of the seats appear to now be empty, "not many people have left the ballpark."

i used to not mind kasper and brenely...and in general i still like brenely...but i have soured on len kasper as a broadcaster so much....god he is so annoying...his voice squeeks more than 13 year old in puberty

QUOTE (daa84 @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:46 PM)
i used to not mind kasper and brenely...and in general i still like brenely...but i have soured on len kasper as a broadcaster so much....god he is so annoying...his voice squeeks more than 13 year old in puberty

Kasper now reminding viewers, every 3 minutes, how great the Cub pitching is this year -- and that "stopper" Ryan Dempster pitches tomorrow. You just get the feeling that everyone is, like, on pins and needles over there.

Nice outing by Gaudin. And they're just leaving him in there to die.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 04:51 PM)
Kasper now reminding viewers, every 3 minutes, how great the Cub pitching is this year -- and that "stopper" Ryan Dempster pitches tomorrow. You just get the feeling that everyone is, like, on pins and needles over there.

Nice outing by Gaudin. And they're just leaving him in there to die.

Pins and needles? That team is going to waltz into the playoffs. If they are smart they stopped caring about this loss as soon as it ended.

QUOTE (G&T @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 05:13 PM)
Pins and needles? That team is going to waltz into the playoffs. If they are smart they stopped caring about this loss as soon as it ended.

That's my point. If you're Cotts, why have a fit in the dugout? If you're Kasper, why do you need to continually reassure people how great the pitchers have been? And, finally, why were the Cubs being booed during the Nats' big inning? Makes you wonder.

Kasper is such a lame announcer. He likes to scream and yell when their winning, but without even looking at the scoreboard you can tell by the tone of his voice if their up or down. It's pathetic. Like whoever said, those comments about Reed Johnson made me puke a little bit.

BTW- I'm sick of everyone saying how for years they've sold out and supported them through thick and thin and all that crap that sounds like elevator music to me. Maybe they did sell-out, but there were games in 2006, just 1 year in particular, where there'd only be around 20K-25K a game in the seats.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 08:49 PM)
Kasper is such a lame announcer. He likes to scream and yell when their winning, but without even looking at the scoreboard you can tell by the tone of his voice if their up or down. It's pathetic. Like whoever said, those comments about Reed Johnson made me puke a little bit.

Like Hawk.

I used to like Kasper but he gets too sarcastic sometimes for my taste. When he tries to be funny, he really isn't.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:01 PM)
Like Hawk.

I used to like Kasper but he gets too sarcastic sometimes for my taste. When he tries to be funny, he really isn't.

No, Hawk always has the same tone. You can tell by the words he is using and comparisons he is making if we're up or down.

Kasper's voice is high and retarded when they're winning, yet when they're losing he has that voice like "We're still going to get in bed together, right Bob"?

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 10:07 PM)
No, Hawk always has the same tone. You can tell by the words he is using and comparisons he is making if we're up or down.

Kasper's voice is high and retarded when they're winning, yet when they're losing he has that voice like "We're still going to get in bed together, right Bob"?

The same tone no matter what? That couldn't be further from the truth.

QUOTE (Friend of Nordhagen @ Aug 22, 2008 -> 07:36 PM)
That's my point. If you're Cotts, why have a fit in the dugout? If you're Kasper, why do you need to continually reassure people how great the pitchers have been? And, finally, why were the Cubs being booed during the Nats' big inning? Makes you wonder.

Because he has a competitive spirit and does not like to lose.

Harris hit his slam off reliever Neal Cotts to cap a six-run sixth inning that put the Nationals ahead 6-4. He added a two-run shot in the ninth off Chad Gaudin for his first multihomer game in the majors.Harris and Cotts were teammates from 2003-05 with the Chicago White Sox and played on a World Series winner together."You know, it's good to hit a grand slam, but I would rather it have been against somebody else," Harris said. "Because Neal and I go way back. ... I consider him a friend. I have to do my job too but if I could choose someone else, I would."

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 06:36 PM)
The CY is at it again. Check this man for 'roids or somethin'.

I honestly believe Cubs are the best team in baseball right now, in regards to how they match up for the postseason. Dempster, Harden, and Zambrano is a great 1/2/3, and then you have Marmol throwing effectively again and Wood getting healthy. Tampa desperately needs Crawford and Longoria to get healthy for the postseason.

Dempster worked his ass off to prepare to become a starter again.

From the New York Times:

"Dempster spent his off-season outside Denver training with virtual masochism. At 7,200 feet altitude, he would run up mountains with a resistant harness. He outfitted his garage with new equipment. And he would wake up at 7 a.m. to run one, two and then three steps at a time up the rows of the nearby Red Rocks Amphitheater."

Don't forget that this is his walk year. He's going to get paid big-time by someone, and any playoff success is only going to boost the numbers he will get.

QUOTE (The Critic @ Aug 23, 2008 -> 03:06 PM)
Dempster worked his ass off to prepare to become a starter again.

From the New York Times:

"Dempster spent his off-season outside Denver training with virtual masochism. At 7,200 feet altitude, he would run up mountains with a resistant harness. He outfitted his garage with new equipment. And he would wake up at 7 a.m. to run one, two and then three steps at a time up the rows of the nearby Red Rocks Amphitheater."

Don't forget that this is his walk year. He's going to get paid big-time by someone, and any playoff success is only going to boost the numbers he will get.

The dumbest contract of the offseason will be the one that's given to Dempster.