2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

It wouldn't be the dumbest contract given up, but it would definitely be a risky one. He most likely will be signed to a good deal because of the veteran presence that he would bring to a ballclub.

It's not very common that you see a former closer (with 85 saves in the previous 3 seasons) convert into a 15+ game winner all of a sudden. It's not like he's been getting cheap wins either. Yes, he does have a record of having 15 wins already, but that season was nothing close to what he has accomplished so far. To say the least, give credit where credit is due. He worked hard in the off-season and it's paying off for him. And if this is a fluke, he has done nothing to harm that whatsoever.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Aug 26, 2008 -> 08:57 PM)
I've been saying it for a month now...Carlos Zambrano's shoulder is not healthy.

Everyone is talking about his arm angle nowadays. Not a good thing for him to be dropping down so much. His velocity is down, he doesnt have as much movement.

I wouldnt be surprised if he has offseason surgery, but I doubt he goes down during the year

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:28 PM)
My boss the cub fan said something really dumb today. He said if the brewers win the next 30 game in a row, they still can't catch the cubs.

Wow, that is stupid.

A Cubs fan who's paying attention could say that even if the Cubs lost every game for the rest of the season, they'd still finish the year over .500.

Must be nice playing Cincinnati, Washington, and Pittsburgh in 9 straight games, 6 of which were at home.

2 days ago, if the season stopped then, all 3 would have had a top 6 pick, with Washington getting #1 and Cincinnati and Pittsburgh getting #5 and #6, in no order.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:01 PM)
Must be nice playing Cincinnati, Washington, and Pittsburgh in 9 straight games, 6 of which were at home.

2 days ago, if the season stopped then, all 3 would have had a top 6 pick, with Washington getting #1 and Cincinnati and Pittsburgh getting #5 and #6, in no order.

Complaining about scheduling is so lame

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:20 PM)
Complaining about scheduling is so lame

I'm complaining that their league sucks so bad. Not the scheduling.

They get Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, the 5th and 6th worst teams in baseball, 36-38 times a year. They get Washington 6+ times a year, SF 6+ times a year, Houston 18-19 times a year, and COL 6+ times a year.

Here's the way I see it:

If we're in NL Central, we're a 30 games over team.

If the Angels are in the NL Central, they are a 40 games over team, and the same goes with Tampa.

If the Cubs are in our division, they're just as good as we are.

Then again, no point of going on about it, as it'll never change.

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 09:24 PM)
I'm complaining that their league sucks so bad. Not the scheduling.

They get Cincinnati and Pittsburgh, the 5th and 6th worst teams in baseball, 36-38 times a year. They get Washington 6+ times a year, SF 6+ times a year, Houston 18-19 times a year, and COL 6+ times a year.

Here's the way I see it:

If we're in NL Central, we're a 30 games over team.

If the Angels are in the NL Central, they are a 40 games over team, and the same goes with Tampa.

If the Cubs are in our division, they're just as good as we are.

Then again, no point of going on about it, as it'll never change.

Where do you think the cubs would be if they played in the AL?

QUOTE (whitesoxjr27 @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 08:53 PM)
Where do you think the cubs would be if they played in the AL?

About 16-22 games over .500 depending on which division. If we played against some of the crap pitchers they face 3-4 times a week, we would be about where they are. s***, if we played the Pirates 6 more times we would almost be there.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 27, 2008 -> 11:49 PM)
About 16-22 games over .500 depending on which division. If we played against some of the crap pitchers they face 3-4 times a week, we would be about where they are. s***, if we played the Pirates 6 more times we would almost be there.

Exactly. We already play KC 18-19 times a year, but our 2nd to last place team is now Detroit, who isn't bad, but they aren't good. If we take them out and we get Pittsburgh or Cincinnati 18-19 times, we probably are around 27 over at this point.

Check out the cubs schedule the rest of the way not pretty for them.

If Gallardo comes back and can pitch out of the pen for the Brewers and they make the playoffs and the D'Backs somehow make it to the playoffs as well as the Phils or Mets in a short series, I think the NL is a tougher playoff road pitching wise than the AL.

I get the feeling that Harden and Zambrano may not making it to October, no proof just a hunch.

The local radio morning talk show guy here happens to a reasonably knowledgable, baseball-wise, Cubs fan. I work with his wife and she is also pretty sharp on baseball and a Cubs fan. Anyway, this guy says on the air this morning "Six games up with thirty to play. NOW is the time to panic."

See, I told you he's knowledgable. :)