2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JFields27 @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:51 PM)
Geoff Blum Home Run!

6-5 Cubs

also Lou sent home Eyre I believe because he was getting upset or something I wasnt listening that closely

I love Geoff Blum. Just ask witesoxfan. ;)

7-6 HOU. Cub Killer C-Lee hits a 2 run HR off of Howry. Yay for former Sox dominating Cubs pitching.

BTW- why is Bob Howry still on the Cubs? Talk about bad.

Edited by whitesoxbrian

Brilliant move Lou!! Pitch to Carlos Lee with a base open and absolutely RAKES in Wrigley with Blum on deck... 2 run jack by The Horse, 7-6 Astros.

I know it would have put the leading run onbase, but still, can't let Lee beat you there IMO

QUOTE (whitesoxbrian @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 03:39 PM)
Couldn't agree more.

I just dont get it. We get done with a series against the cubs where Aramis doesnt do s*** because we are busting him inside the whole time. Then the next few series, every team pitches him away.

Soriano cant hit any breaking stuff away, or hard stuff up and in, teams in the NLC pitch him hard away and float easy stuff low and inside. Its ridiculous.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 03:41 PM)
I still don't think the Cubs do much in the playoffs. Their middle relief blows. The Brewers, Phillies, Mets can all beat them in a series. But then that's if the Cubs aren't hot, if they are hot, they could waltz through like the '05 Sox.

They've been living off being hot at home all season, timely HR's walk offs, bloops, and wind-aided hits. When the playoffs come their SP's are far superior, but their pen isnt very good and the offensive miracles like Theriot, Fontenot, DeRosa, arent going to be .300-.400 guys.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 03:49 PM)
They've been living off being hot at home all season, timely HR's walk offs, bloops, and wind-aided hits. When the playoffs come their SP's are far superior, but their pen isnt very good and the offensive miracles like Theriot, Fontenot, DeRosa, arent going to be .300-.400 guys.

I wouldn't call Theriot an offensive miracle. He is a very good hitter, but has an okay OPS. Fontenot isn't a slouch either as he was a first-round pick a few years back and DeRosa is pretty much doing what he has done the last few years, putting up a near .800 OPS. I wouldn't call these guys offensive miracles, I would call them professional hitters who are hitting well.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 03:53 PM)
I wouldn't call Theriot an offensive miracle. He is a very good hitter, but has an okay OPS. Fontenot isn't a slouch either as he was a first-round pick a few years back and DeRosa is pretty much doing what he has done the last few years, putting up a near .800 OPS. I wouldn't call these guys offensive miracles, I would call them professional hitters who are hitting well.

If by a few years back you mean 7 years ago, then yes he was a first round pick. Theriot is playing extremely over his head, as he showed with his season last year. I would say he is somewhere in between, more towards last years stats as soon at the NL remembers that he only hits the ball the other way. DeRosa has come back to earth over the last few weeks and is finally near what his production would be, which is different from the way he was hitting at the beginning of the cubs run.

So assuming Cubs make the playoffs, who do you think we want them to face in the 1st round? Arizona has the pitching in Webb/Haren/RJ to beat the Cubs, but I worry about Arizona's hitting and their propensity to strike out. I like the Dodgers offense now, but all I see in their rotation is Lowe/Billingsley and shaky bullpen without Saito. The pitcher who's been the best against the Cubs in the past two years has been Cole Hamels, so I wouldn't mind seeing the Phillies get the Cubs in the 1st round.

The Cubs should be terrified of the Phillies, because if they can ever get their s*** together, they are the biggest challenge to the Cubs IMO. They play well on the road, have an offense than can slug with the Cubs, and have a good bullpen. In fact, I think a lot of the same things can be said about the Marlins, another team in that race (although their pen isn't as good as the Phillies). I don't think the Mets win that division.

I will say this, the way the Cubs are built is to take leads early and play at home. I think in October, if you can keep it close into the 6th and 7th innings, and just try and steal a game at Wrigley, you can beat them for sure.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 5, 2008 -> 02:41 PM)
I still don't think the Cubs do much in the playoffs. Their middle relief blows. The Brewers, Phillies, Mets can all beat them in a series. But then that's if the Cubs aren't hot, if they are hot, they could waltz through like the '05 Sox.

The Brewers? The same Brewers that the Cubs just swept 4 games from in Milwaukee? Those Brewers?