2008 Chicago Cubs Catch-All Thread

DBAHO

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 10:12 PM)
Cubs lose. It's a shame that Florida gave the game away yesterday, should be going for a sweep with Volstad tomorrow. The Cubs schedule the next few weeks is a joke.

its been a joke for a long time

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 16, 2008 -> 09:12 PM)
Cubs lose. It's a shame that Florida gave the game away yesterday, should be going for a sweep with Volstad tomorrow. The Cubs schedule the next few weeks is a joke.

Most of the NL is a joke.

QUOTE (zimne piwo @ Aug 15, 2008 -> 04:26 AM)
Hey... wanna vomit to the latest Cubbie propaganda littering the shelves at Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc.?

Here ya go... you've been WARNED!!!

http://www.wearecubsfans.com/

A lady I work with, her brother wrote this book. She claims she only brought it to work with her one day to check it out...but she made sure to tell everyone where to get it.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Aug 17, 2008 -> 01:19 PM)
Cubs come back and take the lead. Depressing.

The Cubs got that mojo working this year.But as I said before the season started Murphys Law will hit the Cubs eventually.

Cub fans I know refuse to get overconfident. It's strange. I guess 2003 still spooks them. And off topic, am I the only one, and I'm sure fathom would agree, that thinks Ryan Dempster has a shot at the CY? He's been amazing this year. I have no idea how. And I still think overall he's hot garbage. But he's been outstanding this year.

Cubs fact: If they changed their nickname to the "Blue Sox", they'd be the 3rd best team in baseball with "Sox" in their nickname. I dare somebody to convince me otherwise (I'm sure you can come up with compelling evidence, but not enough to convince me). You could easily argue there are 5 teams in the AL better than them. The problem is, they play in the laughable NL and are thus the favorites to win the pennant unless the Brewers stop underachieving.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)
Cubs fact: If they changed their nickname to the "Blue Sox", they'd be the 3rd best team in baseball with "Sox" in their nickname. I dare somebody to convince me otherwise (I'm sure you can come up with compelling evidence, but not enough to convince me). You could easily argue there are 5 teams in the AL better than them. The problem is, they play in the laughable NL and are thus the favorites to win the pennant unless the Brewers stop underachieving.

According to cubs fans, they play in the best division in baseball while we play in the worst, and we have also been helped by our hitting parkpark and PED's (Q)

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 03:27 PM)
According to cubs fans, they play in the best division in baseball while we play in the worst, and we have also been helped by our hitting parkpark and PED's (Q)

And they all love Jim Edmonds. It's funny that they say some other team is benefitting from PEDs (Soto, DeRosa, Edmonds)

Another reason I hate Cub fans....

Today at work, a guy I know who is a Cubs fans and he knows I am a Sox fan, comes up to me and says "Imagine how big of a star Carlos Quentin would be if he played for the Cubs." And he waited for me to respond like this would be an intelligent baseball conversation. So I replied sarcastically, "Yeah, if he played for the Cubs, he may have made the All Star team, oh wait. If he was with the Cubs, he'd be the leader for the MVP, oh wait."

The dude did get me and said that if he was on the Cubs, he would of been voted in the All Star game by the fans, which may have been possible.

I just hate when a Cub fan talks down to me like that.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)

Today at work, a guy I know who is a Cubs fans and he knows I am a Sox fan, comes up to me and says "Imagine how big of a star Carlos Quentin would be if he played for the Cubs." And he waited for me to respond like this would be an intelligent baseball conversation. So I replied sarcastically, "Yeah, if he played for the Cubs, he may have made the All Star team, oh wait. If he was with the Cubs, he'd be the leader for the MVP, oh wait."

The dude did get me and said that if he was on the Cubs, he would of been voted in the All Star game by the fans, which may have been possible.

I'd have just responded to him with "imagine what it would be like if your team had won a world series in the last century?" Of course, he would have said "we'll do it this year" and then you just respond to that with "if the goat doesn't get you in the NL playoffs, playing a real team (an AL team) in the world series will". Cub fans are easy to talk to, you either laugh at them, counter with facts, or ignore them. Any option works well.

QUOTE (Brian @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 10:52 AM)

And there's always the "Your GM wasn't smart enough to get a probable MVP for a Class A firstbaseman" option.

Josh Fogg pitching for the Reds at Wrigley today...

Reminded of me how pissed I was when Kenny traded Kip Wells and Fogg for Todd Ritchie....I was right about how bad Ritchie was, but turns out Wells and Fogg didn't amount to much of anything, so the trade was just a bust on both ends...

the cubs have faced like 1 above average starter since they faced sheets on july 28th

since then....

parra, bush, karstens, maholm, snell, Moehler, sampson, Backe, looper, wellemeyer, carpenter (still spring training for him), morton, campillo, glavine, josh johnson (decent, but his first start back), anibal sanchez (solid), Volstad, Cueto, Arroyo, Fogg

honestly its criminal how bad the NL is...that is an absolute joke, especially when you consider they face lannan, odalis perez (!), bergmann, snell, jason davis and duke in their next 6....seriously that is such a pathetic league

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 12:02 AM)

Let's not get crazy here. Cubs aren't just an "the NL sucks" team. Look at the talent they have on that team. Also, there aren't 5 teams in the AL better than them.

Cubs still have the best overall 3 starters in baseball compared to any other team, and as B&B were talking about yesterday, which one of the Sox pitchers would you take over any of those 3 in the playoffs? Likely none of them.

I hate the cubs fans as much as the next guy, but let's not act like we have a world beater team and their team sucks. It just makes us look like a bunch of idiots.

Edited by IlliniKrush

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 10:30 PM)
Let's not get crazy here. Cubs aren't just an "the NL sucks" team. Look at the talent they have on that team. Also, there aren't 5 teams in the AL better than them.

Cubs still have the best overall 3 starters in baseball compared to any other team, and as B&B were talking about yesterday, which one of the Sox pitchers would you take over any of those 3 in the playoffs? Likely none of them.

I hate the cubs fans as much as the next guy, but let's not act like we have a world beater team and their team sucks. It just makes us look like a bunch of idiots.

I'd take Danks over Zambrano, especially the way Z is throwing the ball lately. However, I do agree with you. This Cubs team is enormously talented. I didn't know Marmol hadn't allowed a hit in like 12 appearances.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Aug 21, 2008 -> 05:30 PM)

I'd take Danks over Zambrano, and I'd take any of our top three starters over Ryan Dempster without question. If we get Linebrink back, we also have a better bullpen than they do and our offensive revival is closing the gap between the two teams in that category. I know the Angels and Rays are better than the Cubs, you could argue we are better, Boston is pretty close if they'd stop underachieving (I think they are at least). Ok, 2 to 4, Minnesota isn't better.

Their team doesn't suck, but they aren't world beaters either. They are just a very good team that looks a lot better because they play in one of the worst leagues in terms of an individual season, the 2008 National League, in baseball history. The problem is they do play in that league and thus will have to either choke or see somebody get red hot and become a challenge to not win the pennant.

Edited by whitesoxfan101