Swisher Journal

Controlled Chaos

I was looking for some swish pics and saw his journal...here ya go

April 8, 2008

What’s up?

It’s been pretty crazy these last few weeks, but a good, fun kind of crazy. I hope y’all will forgive me because I’m lagging a bit on my journal.

I’m so happy to finally be home in Chicago on the cheering side of town. The truth is I was only here for Sox Fest back in January, then flew home to California, was off to Arizona for Spring Training, then traveled to Louisville twice, Memphis, Cleveland and Detroit. Frequent flyer miles you ask?

The first week has been so exciting –we’re off to a great start! Yet it’s a little tough too, because we’re having quick turnarounds—night games followed by day games. But hey, we’re winning and it doesn’t get any better than that.

Let me tell you that this team is filled with so much fire and passion! We want to win and we know we can win. We have an old school attitude of playing hard nose baseball, we have faith in each other -- we’re one big family and I couldn’t feel more blessed to be where I am. I also know that I’m one of those guys that doesn’t have the most talent, but I work hard and I take so much pride in my work ethic and we all know that I love to have a good time!

Okay…let’s cut to the chase…I’m sporting a blonde goatee…don’t worry folks…. it’s temporary. You know, it’s not easy to bleach dark brown/black hair to blonde without turning that orange color…how do you ladies do it?

See, it started with Toby Hall and Bobby Jenks, now it’s my turn…but I just did my goatee and no, I’m not doing my head…no way. We did it for fun but I’m always doing something with my hair. Remember last year, when I grew my hair for nearly a year so it would be long enough to donate to the Pantene Beautiful Lengths program? My hair was made into a real hair wig for a woman dealing with hair loss from cancer treatments. It took only a few minutes for my father to chop it off in front of the crowd at the Oakland Coliseum, but that feeling of knowing I helped someone else in need, will last my lifetime.

We officially announced my Swish’s Wishes home run challenge to help kids in need and we’re starting the season at $900 a home run. Unbelievable! That’s $300 from me and a match from my friend Barry Zito, $100 from Pepsi, $100 from the Pat Covelli Foundation and $100 from a private donor. I hope fans, businesses, and other players will help me raise the total of dollars for each home run I hit. You can download a home run challenge form from the donation page and pledge any amount you wish… $1, $5, $25 --whatever you want. I think we can have some fun together while doing something great for kids in need.

Well, my dad is here in town and so we are heading out to dinner in Chicago. He played for the Cubs a long time ago but still knows all the great places to eat.

Please keep your emails and pictures coming! I love reading them all and I’m doing my best to answer them as quickly as I can.

-