Best White Sox Brawl?

wilmot825

I don't remember what year it was exactly, 1999 or 2001. But the Tigers and White Sox fought twice in the game, Jim Parque was fighting off people at second base. Keith Foulke needed stitches in his head from the brawl and everyone got involved in it. It was all over Sportscenter for like a week just highlighting the fists being thrown. Close 2nd had to the Crosstown Fight because too many of times the fans were fighting it out in the stands. Finally the players beat some ass, Little Pods took down Barrett and BA went out swinging at Mabry. That is why Brian Anderson deserves to be with this team, he has their backs. Plus the Sox won that game.

Edited by wilmot825

QUOTE (wilmot825 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 11:06 AM)
I don't remember what year it was exactly, 1999 or 2001. But the Tigers and White Sox fought twice in the game, Jim Parque was fighting off people at second base. Keith Foulke needed stitches in his head from the brawl and everyone got involved in it. It was all over Sportscenter for like a week just highlighting the fists being thrown.

It was April, 2000. It bonded that team together, IMO. I remember Maggs and Bill Simas both going nuts in that brawl. Also, it made me and probably every other Sox fan hate Robert Fick.

Edited by robinventura23

The Sox Tigers brawl was classic. But, going way back to 1955 or so, the Walt Dropo-Enos Slaughter fight has got to be mentioned. Larry Doby was nearly beaned setting off that brawl.

Also, the Ed Farmer-Al Cowens fight was pretty neat, resulting in a warrant for Al Cowens' arrest.

I seem to remember being at a game in the early 90's at old Milwaukee County Stadium where Big Hurt clocked Pat Listach. It happened with trying to break up a double play, and within seconds the bullpens emptied out with melee everywhere. I wish I could find a clip of that fight somewhere, as it was one of the only that I remember Frank being directly involved in.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 11:20 AM)
Even though it resulted in a Sox player being pummelled, I have to vote for Ventura's charge on Nolan Ryan.

I find it hilarious that when I loaded up this page, from the outside I saw the last topic "Best White Sox Brawl" and the last one to post in it is coincidentally a guy named robinventura23.

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
It was April, 2000. It bonded that team together, IMO. I remember Maggs and Bill Simas both going nuts in that brawl. Also, it made me and probably every other Sox fan hate Robert Fick.

Not to mention Todd Jones and Phil Garner.

The funniest part of the Tigers/Sox 2000 brawl was when Palmer initially charged the mound, he got like ten feet from Parque he threw his helmet at him.

My favorite brawl goes back to 1991 when Thigpen hit the A's Terry Steinbach in the head. That fight exploded into a great brawl including some bat throwing. Steinbach was taken out on a stretcher.

Edited by pcullotta

QUOTE (pcullotta @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 12:59 PM)
The funniest part of the Tigers/Sox 2000 brawl was when Palmer initially charged the mound, he got like ten feet from Parque he threw his helmet at him.

My favorite brawl goes back to 1991 when Thigpen hit the A's Terry Steinbach in the head. That fight exploded into a great brawl including some bat throwing. Steinbach was taken out on a stretcher.

That pitch practically ended Thigpen as an effective closer...it got to him seeing Steinbach carted off

6. White Sox vs. Tigers (April 22, 2000)

Sixteen players, coaches and managers suspended. Nine others fined. It was, MLB said, "the biggest mass suspension ever."

That was the end result of two brawls that erupted at Comiskey Park, one in the seventh inning, the other in the ninth. In the sixth, the Tigers Jeff Weaver hit Carlos Lee with a pitch. In retaliation, Chicago's starter, Jim Parque, plunked Detroit's Dean Palmer in the top of the seventh. Palmer charged the mound, throwing his helmet at Parque before the real action started.

"This wasn't just a shoving match," wrote Tom Gage in the Detroit News. "This was a nasty fight in which heavy punches were thrown and players were bloodied. White Sox reliever Keith Foulke had a facial cut that required five stitches."

In the ninth, a couple more hit batsmen inspired another round of wrasslin', kicking and fisticuffs. When it was all over, the umps had ejected 11.

Chris Osgood of the Red Wings was impressed. "It was a pretty vicious fight for a baseball game," he said. "But they stood up for themselves pretty good. It's a good way to build camaraderie."

7. Umpire George Moriarty vs. the White Sox (May 30, 1932)

After the White Sox lost both ends of a doubleheader to the Indians in Cleveland, some of Chicago's players accused ump George Moriarty of deliberately making bad calls against them. Moriarty, who'd once played for the Sox, challenged the players to a fight, and pitcher Mike Gaston accepted. Moriarty knocked Gaston down with one punch, but broke his fist in the process. At that point, White Sox manager Lew Fonseca and catchers Charlie Berry and Frank Grube jumped the ump and thrashed him good, bloodying his mouth.

Fellow umpire Bill Dinneen did try to help Moriarty, but George still had some brawl left in him. "You stay out of this, Bill," he said. "This is my fight." Then he got up and said, "Now who else is there who thinks I'm yellow?"

Pretty Good. Top 10 from 2002

#1 is Robin Ventura on Nolan Ryan. Some other good ones on there like George Bell and Big Mo dominates him. I like the Sweeney one.

Edited by JFields27

(knightni @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 03:14 PM)
<!--quotec-->Best two non Sox ones.

The Dodgers diving into the stands at Wrigley and Kyle Farnsworth power-bombing Paul Wilson.

I couldn't find the Sox / Tigers one (youtube took it down), but in the process I found this one with Tigers and Royals. It has a good Farnsworth takedown of Affeldt.

Tigers Royals fight

Edited by Big Hurtin

QUOTE (robinventura23 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 11:23 AM)

Maggs throwing karate kicks was the highlight of those two brawls. I was at that game. What a great time.

Getting punched in the top of the head doesn't really hurt, in fact it hurts more to do it than receive it. Trust me.

Baseball players suck at fighting in general. Its partly because they don't have much of an opportunity to do much even when they charge the mound.

Edited by max power

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 11, 2008 -> 10:36 AM)
The Tigers/Sox brawl in 2000 was probably the best, but the Cubs/Sox brawl in 2006 was pretty close behind based on sheer shock value

Agreed...that Cubs brawl resulted in some Cubs fans really getting the crap beat out of them in the stands. I was in the BP sports bar deck and it was pretty crazy.