Danny Richar

rokimar

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
So it's alright for you to be sarcastic, but no one else can?

No, just that if you're going to make a point and call somebody out, it has to hold water. To tell me that there is a possibility a propsect will flame out in the majors is to tell me nothing.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, just that if you're going to make a point and call somebody out, it has to hold water. To tell me that there is a possibility a propsect will flame out in the majors is to tell me nothing.

And to say that just because someone is a career .300 hitter in the minors doesn't make him an all-star second baseman either.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:54 PM)
And to say that just because someone is a career .300 hitter in the minors doesn't make him an all-star second baseman either.

"Obviously I'm not comparing Richar to A-Rod"

Come on now. you're making me break this down to the very lowest level when I shouldn't have to and putting words in my mouth to boot. Richar's always had good hitting tools and flashed some of them in the majors despite his low batting average (which is common). The odds are still pretty good that they will project to the majors and the upside is still there. Or at least they are still higher than the odds he will continue to be a Juan Uribe-type offensive player.

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 11:24 AM)
No, the question was, if Richar AND RAMIREZ (who is still on the active roster) are both sent down who would take his place. If Pablo is already on the roster he cant fill another spot, now can he?

But if he's already on the roster, he CAN come in and steal a base while pinch-running, can't he? In other words, whoever replaces Ramirez/Richar doesn't necessarily need to have Owens' skill set with Ozuna already on the active roster.

Richar seemed to have some really good power numbers for a 2nd baseman and he showed descent plate discipline. There is no reason to think that he wont improve his .230 avergae. Chris Young hit .230 and everyone is praising him abeit he showed more power, but seemed to strikeout a lot more.

But if he's already on the roster, he CAN come in and steal a base while pinch-running, can't he? In other words, whoever replaces Ramirez/Richar doesn't necessarily need to have Owens' skill set with Ozuna already on the active roster.

Sorry I misunderstood your post at first read.

who replaces Ramirez then, is the question?

Edited by the People's Champ

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 11:35 AM)
Sorry I misunderstood your post at first read.

who replaces Ramirez then, is the question?

Good question, as it depends on a number of factors. If everybody is healthy and the starting pitching is hanging in there, I agree that Owens would be the best candidate. If Thome or Dye are trying to play through nagging injuries, Fields would probably be the best option. If the 'pen is struggling and Ozzie/KW decide that they don't want to use an option, Wassermann might be the guy.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
Good question, as it depends on a number of factors. If everybody is healthy and the starting pitching is hanging in there, I agree that Owens would be the best candidate. If Thome or Dye are trying to play through nagging injuries, Fields would probably be the best option. If the 'pen is struggling and Ozzie/KW decide that they don't want to use an option, Wassermann might be the guy.

I find it difficult to understand why this team as constructed would want to consider a 13 man pitching staff, especially since it's already carrying a long reliever.

Uribe has done nothing so far to deserve the starting nod at 2B and don't know why anyone wants him to stay there. Granted, he does play good defense but when your batting sub .200 I don't care how good your defense is you aren't deserving a starting spot. I will say that I don't want the team to rush Richar back or anything of that sort, let him get completely healthy and a week or so in the minors before putting Danny back in action.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 12:47 PM)
I find it difficult to understand why this team as constructed would want to consider a 13 man pitching staff, especially since it's already carrying a long reliever.

They probably wouldn't, unless Jose, Floyd, and Masset (all out of options) fell apart and Kenny didn't want to unload any of them. It would take a pretty extreme set of events for that to happen.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:47 PM)

some make the case that carrying 12 pitchers is too much. But with our questions, it was almost a neccessity. 13 though, that'd be too much.

Edited by BearSox

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)
Uribe has done nothing so far to deserve the starting nod at 2B and don't know why anyone wants him to stay there. Granted, he does play good defense but when your batting sub .200 I don't care how good your defense is you aren't deserving a starting spot. I will say that I don't want the team to rush Richar back or anything of that sort, let him get completely healthy and a week or so in the minors before putting Danny back in action.

agreed. Plus, it's not like 2B is some crucial defensive position like SS. I remember reading an article after the Garland-Cabrera trade about how high Cabrera is on Richar, and that he was looking forward to playing up the middle with him. Richar might only be "average" now, but he is only getting better. He has very good range from what I've seen and more then enough arm strength. Add that to the fact that Richar adds another lefty bat to lineup, adds more speed, and has already proven to be at least as good of a hitter as Uribe with more potential, there is no reason why he shouldn't see a lot of playing time when he's healthy...

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 12:45 PM)
It would have to be Owens right? I mean as station to station as we are right now we need someone who can come in and pinch run in a late inning situation. Perhaps steal a base.

The White Sox are second in the MLB in runs scored. I think station to station is working just fine and that stealing bases is overrated by a few people. It has it's value, but why would you try and mess with something that's working so damn well right now?

Owens wouldn't bring much that this team needs...sure he brings speed, but he also brings no power, a bat that's less than great, and mediocre defense in the outfield with one of the weakest outfield arms in the system. I'll gladly take Brian Anderson - who has better power and all-around defense (which is more important than the power) who himself has a bit of speed - over Jerry Owens on the bench.

And, if I may ask a serious question...what exactly is wrong with a station-to-station offense? Sure it's slow, but one guy isn't going to change that, and right now, it's producing like mad.

The White Sox are second in the MLB in runs scored. I think station to station is working just fine and that stealing bases is overrated by a few people. It has it's value, but why would you try and mess with something that's working so damn well right now?

Owens wouldn't bring much that this team needs...sure he brings speed, but he also brings no power, a bat that's less than great, and mediocre defense in the outfield with one of the weakest outfield arms in the system. I'll gladly take Brian Anderson - who has better power and all-around defense (which is more important than the power) who himself has a bit of speed - over Jerry Owens on the bench.

And, if I may ask a serious question...what exactly is wrong with a station-to-station offense? Sure it's slow, but one guy isn't going to change that, and right now, it's producing like mad.

First of all, Brian Anderson is currently on the roster, so he has nothing to do with this topic.

and Secondly sure everything is working fine right now, we have timely hitting, lots of 2 out RBI, plenty of power. But what happens when that all comes to a screeching halt?? You have to start manufacturing runs, the same credo that '05 team lived by. And to manufacture runs its kind of hard to do when you are waiting to string 3 hits together to do it.

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:53 PM)

I dont see what point you're making, granted Uribe cant hit a lick but based on your assesment Thome I guess shouldnt be in the lineup either as he falls in that sub .200 range as well...Lord, we're 11 games into the season, he's played a great 2B and hell if aint broke don't fix it we got enough boppers on this team anyways...

QUOTE (peanut33tillman @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)
I dont see what point you're making, granted Uribe cant hit a lick but based on your assesment Thome I guess shouldnt be in the lineup either as he falls in that sub .200 range as well...Lord, we're 11 games into the season, he's played a great 2B and hell if aint broke don't fix it we got enough boppers on this team anyways...

Thome has proven to be one of the best hitters in baseball, and whether he's slumping or not, pitchers don't forget how dangerous he can be.

Uribe on the other hand has proven to be garbage with the bat, and hasn't shown any improvement. Horrible comparison.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
Thome has proven to be one of the best hitters in baseball, and whether he's slumping or not, pitchers don't forget how dangerous he can be.

Uribe on the other hand has proven to be garbage with the bat, and hasn't shown any improvement. Horrible comparison.

The White Sox have turned a ton of DPs. Uribe has something to do with that. Get off his back, your arguing about a guy who is currently injured taking his place. The team is in first place playing well. Uribe is garbage, but Richar with his .289 OBP last year is just going to get better and deserves to play no matter how well the team is doing. What?

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (the People's Champ @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:17 PM)
First of all, Brian Anderson is currently on the roster, so he has nothing to do with this topic.

and Secondly sure everything is working fine right now, we have timely hitting, lots of 2 out RBI, plenty of power. But what happens when that all comes to a screeching halt?? You have to start manufacturing runs, the same credo that '05 team lived by. And to manufacture runs its kind of hard to do when you are waiting to string 3 hits together to do it.

The 05 team lived on pitching and enough hitting to win. This team is hitting the way the Yankees and Boston do, they see a ton of pitches and are making the pitcher work even Uribe is doing this fairly well (to his standards). Podesednik at his best still did not got on base enough. If you notice Konerko is turning into a little OBP machine thus far as well. If Thome starts to click this team could really be on to something.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 03:33 PM)
The White Sox have turned a ton of DPs. Uribe has something to do with that. Get off his back, your arguing about a guy who is currently injured taking his place. The team is in first place playing well.
Yeah, the Sox have turned a ton of DP's, thanks to pitchers putting the ball on the ground. Saying that Uribe has been a big reason for all those DP's is asinine. Any 2B worth a damn can turn a DP.

And, I don't want Richar to take his place until he's healthy. However, with Uribe not producing, Richar should see plently of playing time once he's healthy. Richar actually has potential to make us better. Uribe can't even hit his weight.

QUOTE (peanut33tillman @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 02:19 PM)

If I was making my judgement off of Uribe by using this season as my only reason than maybe you got a point.... but than you look at the past 2 seasons where Uribe hit in the .230's with a sub .300 OBP....Thome only had a OBP north of .400 both years. Honestly, what were you trying to prove by comparing Uribe to Thome?

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 12:01 PM)
agreed. Plus, it's not like 2B is some crucial defensive position like SS.

ALL positions in the middle of the field (SS, 2B, CF, C) are important defensively.

I remember reading an article after the Garland-Cabrera trade about how high Cabrera is on Richar, and that he was looking forward to playing up the middle with him.

Are you kidding me? Cabrera didn't know crap about Richar's capabilities at the time. He most likely said that to be a good "team player", as most people thought that Richar was going to be the starting 2B at the time.

Richar might only be "average" now, but he is only getting better. He has very good range from what I've seen and more then enough arm strength. Add that to the fact that Richar adds another lefty bat to lineup, adds more speed, and has already proven to be at least as good of a hitter as Uribe with more potential, there is no reason why he shouldn't see a lot of playing time when he's healthy...

But we're trying to win NOW, and Uribe is clearly better defensively than Richar. And while that shouldn't keep Richar from getting some time at 2B when he's healthy, completely handing over the starting gig at 2B to a player that is inferior defensively and may or may not be better at the plate isn't something that you want to do right now.

Edited by WCSox

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 03:29 PM)

Yes I'm aware that Thome is a proven hitter but his post quoted as NO player under .200 should be in the lineup therefore I referred to Thome...obviously I'm not an idiot I know the difference between Thome and Uribe as hitters I was just basing it off his knowledge

QUOTE (SoxFan101 @ Apr 14, 2008 -> 03:51 PM)
If I was making my judgement off of Uribe by using this season as my only reason than maybe you got a point.... but than you look at the past 2 seasons where Uribe hit in the .230's with a sub .300 OBP....Thome only had a OBP north of .400 both years. Honestly, what were you trying to prove by comparing Uribe to Thome?

You mentioned NOBODY should be in the lineup with a sub .200 BA thats why I referred to Thome, yes I know ones proven the others not but based on your theory you'd have Thome on the bench