Cougar shot and killed within Chicago city limits

NorthSideSox72

If you saw an 150 lb cougar in front of you in the street, I would say the odds of you crapping your pants are at least 60 percent. Those things could tear you up quickly and move on to the next kill.

I saw people were really upset that the cops shot the animal. Honestly, an animal like that in a residential area should be shot on sight.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 03:21 PM)
If you saw an 150 lb cougar in front of you in the street, I would say the odds of you crapping your pants are at least 60 percent. Those things could tear you up quickly and move on to the next kill.

I saw people were really upset that the cops shot the animal. Honestly, an animal like that in a residential area should be shot on sight.

well, if the option were easily available, tranquilizing it an moving it somewhere far away from people wouldn't be a bad thing. But if you didn't happen to have a dart readily available, and your options are to either wait for a dart or do something, you have to do something.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 03:45 PM)
Ugh. I really dislike it when people keep animals like that as pets.

They're mostly rescue cases. His facility is not really any different than Brookfield or Lincoln Park Zoo. He does a lot of animal education/ demonstration for kids in the area.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 04:21 PM)

Fox News previewed the story and featured, what sounded to be, a home made video of the shooting. I didn't catch what was on the video but heard gunshots and turned around just in time to view a helicopter filming the cougar laying dead on the pavement. Immediately afterwards a lady, who could have been a bystander, said it was unnecessary to shot the animal. I find it ridiculous how anyone can fault these officers. I agree that killing it shouldn't have been a top priority, but unless tranquilizers were readily available then they did what was necessary.

It's not as if there's a section on handling cougars in the Chicago police manual. Sure, racoons and perhaps wolves; animals with nowhere near the strength or speed of a cougar. Imagine what would have happened if they tried to wait until someone arrived to sedate the animal and it injured/killed someone? Or escaped from their sights? I'd rather shot the animal, even if it poses no harm, then take any chances. What's anyone going to do about it, sue me? This isn't like California where we're encroaching on their territory and they're expanding their hunting zone to make up for lost space. It traveled well out of its natural habitat. And if it were a pet, then its better off dead anyways since it'd be useless in the wild.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 08:51 PM)
It traveled well out of its natural habitat. And if it were a pet, then its better off dead anyways since it'd be useless in the wild.

Cougars don't belong in an urban setting, I'll grant you. But, while an urbanized area may not be a natural habitat, the Midwest certainly is part of the historic range which would have included all of the contiguous United States.

We have a very different situation down here, where we have a critically endangered small population of cougar subspecies, aka, the Florida panther that managed to hold out while the rest of the eastern US populations were extirpated. Here, when a panther turns up on the fringe of an urbanized setting it's something that makes the news and you'll end up going to prison if you willfully injure it.

Again, the situations are very different, and as sad as it is i'm not faulting the judgement of the police. But it's pretty cool that we're seeing increased sightings – albeit scattered and anecdotal in most cases – in the Midwest.

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

As sad as it is for the death of such a beautiful and majestic animal, its amazing the number of people that have decided to pick on the police for this one. A 150 pound predator, who is strong enough to chase a deer, knock it down, then to grab it by its neck and suffocate it thats the animal I may not want running through my backyard with my 3 year old. I wonder how upset the animal rights people would be when Mr. Cougar realizes that the deer population in Roscoe village isnt happening and decides to snack on the local dogs/cats/ and children. And as for the lady from the humane society who stated the police should of waited for animal control maybe she should realize that the cougar at Lincoln park zoo doesnt show off its speed like the trapped once in an alley. Cougars are in fact fast animals. Now maybe the South Dakota version of the big cat might respond to police commands, and may freeze with its paws up. But I think it might just decide to take off and leave the cops in the dust. The cops protected the public.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 15, 2008 -> 09:54 PM)
As sad as it is for the death of such a beautiful and majestic animal, its amazing the number of people that have decided to pick on the police for this one. A 150 pound predator, who is strong enough to chase a deer, knock it down, then to grab it by its neck and suffocate it thats the animal I may not want running through my backyard with my 3 year old. I wonder how upset the animal rights people would be when Mr. Cougar realizes that the deer population in Roscoe village isnt happening and decides to snack on the local dogs/cats/ and children. And as for the lady from the humane society who stated the police should of waited for animal control maybe she should realize that the cougar at Lincoln park zoo doesnt show off its speed like the trapped once in an alley. Cougars are in fact fast animals. Now maybe the South Dakota version of the big cat might respond to police commands, and may freeze with its paws up. But I think it might just decide to take off and leave the cops in the dust. The cops protected the public.

Actually I'm pretty sure I talked to a cougar one Saturday night. He was talking about how the man was keeping him down and wouldn't let him be himself. I told him to just keep on attempting to liberate themselves for freedom.

Maybe that was a bad idea? :unsure:

Lets take a ride on the crazy train.

Hi I am Joan Dahlberg, Humane Society President. And I have no concept of reality.

"There is no real harm or danger at issue. These coyotes and cougars, they are very shy, timid animals. They are not going to attack people under any circumstances. So the fear is just that, fear," said Joan Dahlberg, president of the Chicago Humane Society,

Dahlberg said the Chicago Humane Society is outraged by the shooting. She wonders why police weren't prepared with a tranquilizer or able to find someone from animal control who had one.

"First of all, there is such a thing as preparedness. They should be prepared for any incident. They should have this equipment available to them at all times," said Dahlberg.

While getting killed by a mountain lion is not a worry for most. To categorize these animals as anything but predators is a bit myopic and silly.

This lady is a wack job.

In fact Lions have been known to take a chomp out of a person or two.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 09:32 AM)

Hi I am Joan Dahlberg, Humane Society President. And I have no concept of reality.

While getting killed by a mountain lion is not a worry for most. To categorize these animals as anything but predators is a bit myopic and silly.

This lady is a wack job.

That is just laughable (Ms Dahlberg I mean, not you SSI). First, while rare, mountain lions most definitely have attacked people. Second, in THAT circumstance, the chances of it doing so are probably heightened. Third, "prepared"? Is she seriously suggesting that every cop on the beat should carry a tranq gun with a wide variety of differenet loads to always be ready for any animal? Should the armament include an elephant gun?

Ridiculous. I am sad that the story ended the way it did, but under the circumstances, I fail to see how the police can be blamed here.

I also read in the paper this morning that it is not easy to tranquilize a big cat, if the dart hits a bone, it is useless, and you risk making the cat angry-something i would not want to be faced with......

I did see a coyote in columbus park one day this year, right by Austin and the Ike, it was pretty big, just walking across the baseball diamonds.

Edited by Heartattack19

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 10:32 AM)

This lady is a wack job.

Prepared for any instance? What if there were 10 mountain lions? How can you prepare yourself for that?

If there's a rattlesnake about to attack you...do you say "Please Mr. Rattlesnake, you'd never attack me, please go away back into the wild" or do you grab the nearest object and try to hit the SOB? I mean, it's absolutely ridiculous that people are upset that a mountain lion, with claws and teeth and probably a bit of hunger too, made it's way into a city where it could harm people, and police killed it.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 09:35 AM)
Prepared for any instance? What if there were 10 mountain lions? How can you prepare yourself for that?

If there's a rattlesnake about to attack you...do you say "Please Mr. Rattlesnake, you'd never attack me, please go away back into the wild" or do you grab the nearest object and try to hit the SOB? I mean, it's absolutely ridiculous that people are upset that a mountain lion, with claws and teeth and probably a bit of hunger too, made it's way into a city where it could harm people, and police killed it.

Throwing something at the Rattler is likely only to piss it off more and encourage it to strike.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 02:34 PM)
Throwing something at the Rattler is likely only to piss it off more and encourage it to strike.

True. With a rattlesnake, best to just run away and get some distance. It won't chase you.

But I don't think he was being entirely serious, just trying to make a point.

I think the strangest thing about this whole deal is the picture of the cougar meandering around with people walking literally feet away from him. And the lady who spotted him/her said it was sleeping next to her porch. So it obviously seemed at some sort of ease in its surroundings until it was killed. It just amazes me that the cougar could get that far into Chicago and it isnt seen until it is already there.

Maybe we need cougars in the alleys to take care of the strays ;)

Here is the picture of the cougar walking around

And there is also a story about a possibility of a second cougar in the area, they were looking for it today

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 03:07 PM)
I think the strangest thing about this whole deal is the picture of the cougar meandering around with people walking literally feet away from him. And the lady who spotted him/her said it was sleeping next to her porch. So it obviously seemed at some sort of ease in its surroundings until it was killed. It just amazes me that the cougar could get that far into Chicago and it isnt seen until it is already there.

Maybe we need cougars in the alleys to take care of the strays ;)

Here is the picture of the cougar walking around

And there is also a story about a possibility of a second cougar in the area, they were looking for it today

That picture gives me the willies.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 04:00 PM)
True. With a rattlesnake, best to just run away and get some distance. It won't chase you.

But I don't think he was being entirely serious, just trying to make a point.

Right. I'm not very nature savvy, so if I got lost in the woods, I'd probably be screwed.

Seriously though, it's one thing if you are going out into the wild and ending the lives of a mountain lion mother and her cubs illegally - that would deserve protest. It's also along the same lines if the animal were something smaller or less harmful, such as say a raccoon or, to some extent, a deer. It's entirely different if it's a full grown mountain lion within the city limits of one of the biggest metropolitan areas in the United States.

I figure this is a bit of a public service. In case anyone wants to know, what to do if you encounter a cougar/puma/mountain lion or any other large predatory cat...

1. DO NOT RUN

2. Did I mention, don't run?

3. Be standing up - don't crouch or crawl

4. If you have children or pets nearby, pick them up off the ground

5. Back away slowly - do not turn your back on it

6. Some folks recommend putting your arms in the air to look big, or talking softly to it

7. Do not agitate it - don't threaten or make sudden moves

8. If you are actually physically attacked (extremely rare), fight it off with everything you have - don't play dead (that is for Grizzlies)

9. Do. Not. Run.

The chances of anyone who reads this ever having such an encounter are very, very slim.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 16, 2008 -> 03:56 PM)
I figure this is a bit of a public service. In case anyone wants to know, what to do if you encounter a cougar/puma/mountain lion or any other large predatory cat...

1. DO NOT RUN

2. Did I mention, don't run?

3. Be standing up - don't crouch or crawl

4. If you have children or pets nearby, pick them up off the ground

5. Back away slowly - do not turn your back on it

6. Some folks recommend putting your arms in the air to look big, or talking softly to it

7. Do not agitate it - don't threaten or make sudden moves

8. If you are actually physically attacked (extremely rare), fight it off with everything you have - don't play dead (that is for Grizzlies)

9. Do. Not. Run.

The chances of anyone who reads this ever having such an encounter are very, very slim.

I've heard it's good to do the bolded part and to further unzip your jacket and spread that, too. Supposedly the bigger you look, the less likely the cat will attack.

The thing about Cougar attacks is that you never see them coming. Cougars are stalkers, they prefer ambush attacks more than a chase, ambushes have a much higher success rate and cougars just arent built for long distance speed, which their primary prey are built for.

If you SEE a cougar and feel it is dangerous, then yeah those are very helpful suggestions. however, most of the time people are attacked, they don't know what hit them until they are on the ground with a 150-200 lb Cougar digging its teeth into the back of their neck.

Edited by kyyle23