Stay classy, Cubs fans

Linnwood

Then there was a certain fan who reached for a foul ball and changed the course of baseball history, though I won't name him because a failing Tribune columnist -- lacking creative juices and originality -- will keep counting how many times I mention the fan.

Wow, Mariotti taking some more shots at Morissey

I heard Brenneman was on Silvy and Waddle to try to smoothen out all that he said, but winded up insulting the Cubs fans calling them names again.He just couldnt talk good about them even when it was the purpose for him going on their show. :lolhitting

QUOTE (The Critic @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 08:52 AM)
Jay can't stand when anyone points out the s*** he pulls, so he does that passive/aggressive thing as a defense mechanism.

I have seen some of the shots they have taken at each other in the last couple of years, but I havent seen Jay refer to him as a failing tribune columnist before.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:07 AM)
I have seen some of the shots they have taken at each other in the last couple of years, but I havent seen Jay refer to him as a failing tribune columnist before.

Well, Morrissey upped the ante by pointing out exactly how many times Mariotti blamed Bartman for the Cubs' 2003 collapse after Jay wrote an article saying people should stop blaming Bartman for the Cubs' 2003 collapse.

Jay couldn't handle his hypocrisy being pointed out, so his venom has increased.

Not an atypical response from Jay. Pretty standard stuff.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cu...gordo18.article

''That's the No. 1 seller this year, by far,'' said Kolbusz, who estimates one in 10 customers complain about being offended.

While Kolbusz was answering questions, two white guys stopped by the stand and pointed at the shirt, with one affecting a 1960s B-movie accent while reading aloud the words on the shirt.

His friend responded in a similar offensive accent, ''Oh, you tink dat funny?''

They walked away laughing.

Nice.

classy move, cubs. insult your new player.

"I don't want to get into a war of words with him," Chicago's Mark DeRosa said. "I respect how he handles his profession, but I didn't agree with what he said. I think he could've used different wording.

"They're very passionate people and passionate fans," DeRosa said. "You're torn in situations like that [when they threw balls back] -- you get a chuckle out of it, and at the same time, it wastes 10 minutes of your life. I don't think he needed to go that far with the comments. Obviously, he has some deep-seated hatred for Chicago."

I like how he says he didn't agree with what he said, not because he was wrong but because of the wording. With that plus what he adds about wasting his time, you can tell what he really thinks.

Edited by max power

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 05:38 PM)
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cu...gordo18.article

classy move, cubs. insult your new player.

And yet White Sox fans are the ones steretyped as some kind of narrowminded hicks... That is the kind of stuff that you should get your head beat in for.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 01:18 PM)
Looking at this thread reminds me of Shingo's gong music at the Cell.

Not exactly classy, either.

a gong is a classical asian instrument. How is it different than latin music being played when ever a latin player comes up to bat? (which, I am pretty sure EVERY team does)

Just saying.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 02:18 PM)
Looking at this thread reminds me of Shingo's gong music at the Cell.

Not exactly classy, either.

I dont see how playing a native instrument is as racist as bring back an old Asian stereotype on a tshirt. Maybe if we showed a picture of a squinty Shingo with a speech impediment ringing a gong.

QUOTE (hammerhead johnson @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 01:39 PM)
Do people get their panties in a bunch when they see Mike Myers in the role of a Japanese game show host, certain South Park episodes, etc?

Just curious.

I'll let things slide as long as the intent is good-natured. If it's malicious, then it's a whole different story.

"Godzilla?"

QUOTE (NUKE @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 06:18 PM)
I think people need to quit being so damned hypersensitive. When people whine and cry about someone getting a little fun poked at them it makes whoever is doing the whining look like a big pussy.

It depends on the environment. If you are trying to attract customers, you may not want to offend your customer base.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 06:31 AM)
It depends on the environment. If you are trying to attract customers, you may not want to offend your customer base.

The Scrubs will never have a shortage of drunk idiots, no matter how bad they are or if their tee shirts have slanty eyes or not.

Japanese Buddhists use the same size gong as the Chinese in meditation practice. You wouldn't want a small one, it would be too high pitched and it wouldn't produce the sustained humming sound at the end, which is the point of having it. You need to focus on the sound, that's the whole point of even having it.

Edited by max power