Frank Thomas Released By The Blue Jays/signed by the A's

BlizzardOfOzzie

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:14 AM)
On both sides, THomas is no saint

are you kidding? i'd be pissed too if i had the chance to play a full season but the team wouldnt LET ME to save themselves money. that's just effing shady man. I think Thomas had every right to go off about it. for a guy who's career's been riddled with injury, i cant imagine it feels good to have even more time taken away from you because the organization doesn't want to honor the contract it gave you.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)
are you kidding? i'd be pissed too if i had the chance to play a full season but the team wouldnt LET ME to save themselves money. that's just effing shady man. I think Thomas had every right to go off about it. for a guy who's career's been riddled with injury, i cant imagine it feels good to have even more time taken away from you because the organization doesn't want to honor the contract it gave you.

First off, its 3 weeks into the season, it isnt as if he has been on the bench for months, it was a few games. He has been totally sucking it up outside of a few awesome games, and he needed a break, not unlike Thome when he was suspended, even though he was gonna sit anyways. Second off, Thomas brings this crap straight to the press and starts crying about money AGAIN. The guy has made more money in his career than most of us will see in our lifetimes, he isnt hurting for cash, i dont want to hear him b**** about incentive clauses and plate appearances.

And third, the Big Pout did this:

Thomas did not shake hands with his teammates after the game and left the clubhouse without speaking to reporters.

Neither side is innocent

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 10:16 AM)

You know the Jays want to actually do something this year, right? And since Thomas has been sucking, their best option was to sit him for a bit. Stairs went 2-3 yesterday in Thomas' place.

This has nothing to do with the contract, as if Thomas was actually producing he wouldn't have had a reduction in playing time. Stop being a homer.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:23 AM)
You know the Jays want to actually do something this year, right? And since Thomas has been sucking, their best option was to sit him for a bit. Stairs went 2-3 yesterday in Thomas' place.

This has nothing to do with the contract, as if Thomas was actually producing he wouldn't have had a reduction in playing time. Stop being a homer.

how can you say it has nothing to do with the contract? you think we should sit both paulie and thome right now? indefinitely? because thats what Gibbons told Hurt. INDEFINITELY.

come on now. after 60 PAs that's just messed up.

It seemed that somewhere around the 2003 or 2004 season(s), Frank finally started to get it. His checkered reputation with his former teams and teammates is well documented. But, for whatever reason, it seemed like Frank finally embraced Chicago around that time and the fans were very appreciative of that. Then, onto Oakland where he had a very nice season and fit-in very well with that club.

But, things never seemed to be working in Toronto. He has definitely regressed and it seems what little headway he was making with his reputation has now all but vanished.

I'd like to give Frank the benefit of the doubt given all his years of production in a White Sox uniform--and I know Gibbons, by all accounts, is a throbbing rectum--but, I'm sure there are two sides to this story. He simply has a track record. In any event, I'd like to see him land on his feet somewhere--its never good for the game to see a superstar go out like this.

Not sox news....

...but for people who say "how can you do this to a legend," do you feel the Cubs mistreated Sosa, or that he wasn't crazy for sitting out the 2006 because nobody would give him a major league deal? Frank was also dumped by his agents years ago for pouting.

I wonder how the plate appearance clause will play into effect if another team picks him up. I think that's what Frank is concened about the most.

QUOTE (Reddy @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)
how can you say it has nothing to do with the contract? you think we should sit both paulie and thome right now? indefinitely? because thats what Gibbons told Hurt. INDEFINITELY.

come on now. after 60 PAs that's just messed up.

Indefinitely? What in god's name are you talking about? They said he would see a reduction in playing time, not that he was going to rid the bench for the rest of the season. He wasn't producing and as it is now, they are playing in a tight division, and they don't want to fall behind anymore. Stairs is a good hitter in his own right, and has had the hot bat. I guess that is the problem with having two players who can only DH.

Santo=Dorf - True, this isn't Sox news at all, but since Frank was a big part of us being Sox fans for a very long time, I figured I'd just post the topic.

Yeah, that Gibbons dude seems to be a real piece of work. I'm not sure what his entire history of altercations is, but I do recall when he went to go pull Ted Lilly from a game a few years back, Lilly didn't like it, and punches were thrown between the two of them behind the dugout. That's the only one I know of.

Edited by BlizzardOfOzzie

QUOTE (shipps @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:28 AM)
Gibbons has a history of having altercations with his players,doesnt he?

Yeah, I think Gibbons is the problem and that he is a piece of s***. He had issues with Shea Hillenbrand too. It's not like Gibbons has room to talk, he's never done anything special in his coaching career.

Yeah, I think Gibbons is the problem and that he is a piece of s***. He had issues with Shea Hillenbrand too. It's not like Gibbons has room to talk, he's never done anything special in his coaching career.

Shea Hillenbrand is a clubhouse cancer. Find a better example. I think Gibbons should've moved Frank around in the lineup, but that wouldn't keep Frank from whining.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:34 AM)

Actually he does. He is the coach. He is the one who is supposed to do the talking.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:33 AM)
Indefinitely? What in god's name are you talking about? They said he would see a reduction in playing time, not that he was going to rid the bench for the rest of the season. He wasn't producing and as it is now, they are playing in a tight division, and they don't want to fall behind anymore. Stairs is a good hitter in his own right, and has had the hot bat. I guess that is the problem with having two players who can only DH.

No, they said it could be indefinitely...

I'm not very well-versed on baseball's trade rules. Why didn't they trade him to get something for him? Are there certain times or deadlines during the season when trades can't be made? I know there's a trade deadline in the summer, but it isn't common to make trades this early. Anyone have any insight on this?

QUOTE (BlizzardOfOzzie @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:45 AM)
I'm not very well-versed on baseball's trade rules. Why didn't they trade him to get something for him? Are there certain times or deadlines during the season when trades can't be made? I know there's a trade deadline in the summer, but it isn't common to make trades this early. Anyone have any insight on this?

The could have tried to move him, and one would think that they could have got something decent from the A's or Baltimore or Devil Rays or someone. But evidently they have such big egos there that they just wanted him gone as soon as possible.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
The could have tried to move him, and one would think that they could have got something decent from the A's or Baltimore or Devil Rays or someone. But evidently they have such big egos there that they just wanted him gone as soon as possible.

exactly. it was a power play, nothing else. you dont like our policies? fine, you're gone.