Konerko needs to be benched/traded

YonderLaroche

QUOTE (Steff @ Apr 21, 2008 -> 01:42 PM)
I can't stand his trotting ass, but this start is nothing new. Every year it's the same turtle start and it's the same threads calling for him to be traded. Come July there won't be enough chap stick to go around.

My name is LVSoxFan and I approve of this message.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many had pretty interested comments about this.. Yes the Sox do have a good record but still they have lost a handfull of games by one run and you cannot expect the pitching to be as dominant all season and games will be tight between the top teams in the league. The three and four hitters need to produce, average wise or obp. You can take any 3-4 hitter in the league and they will have 20-40 homers and 90+ rbis, i dont care who it is, and will definetly hit above .170 for months at a time. If this team wants to stay in first, they need to sit konerko till he figures out his swing and not let him play it out and kill the 1st inning every game or an inning with runners on (besides Uribe, who's sucking it up worse).

I just get sick of this guy every year going through the same routine of sucking for months at time then hitting like an average first baseman.

the real killer is two fold IMO. one, Konerko is the slowest man in baseball meaning he probably hits into more DP's than most players in baseball. Secondly, 1B is probably the easiest position to fill in baseball. the sox could easily stick Fields over there and see no drop off.

Reading the Konerko and Thomas threads was pretty humorous I must admit? The Jays were wrong for releasing a 39 year old Thomas, a notorious slow starter, yet we should bench/trade a younger/more productive (for the last few years) Konerko, who is a notorious slow starter. LOL. They are both highly paid and highy talented guys, who will both hit.

Have some patience guys, and look at the histories of both of these players.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 10:30 AM)
Reading the Konerko and Thomas threads was pretty humorous I must admit? The Jays were wrong for releasing a 39 year old Thomas, a notorious slow starter, yet we should bench/trade a younger/more productive (for the last few years) Konerko, who is a notorious slow starter. LOL. They are both highly paid and highy talented guys, who will both hit.

:notworthy But that really isn't any fun is it? :D

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 11:30 AM)

With the question mark there at the end of the first sentence, I was getting a total Ron Burgundy moment. I'm Ron Burgundy?

Edited by Disco72

The Sox are winning right now with their 1-4 hitters hitting a combined .212. If they combine to finish the season with .280 averages then that means they'll combine to hit .289 for the rest of the season, which is pretty good. This doesn't even take into consideration RISP and OBP, which are more important that avg.

I think the hitting is fine. I just hope the pitching and defense hold up. That's what will make or break us, not hitting.

QUOTE (striker62704 @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 12:18 PM)
The Sox are winning right now with their 1-4 hitters hitting a combined .212. If they combine to finish the season with .280 averages then that means they'll combine to hit .289 for the rest of the season, which is pretty good. This doesn't even take into consideration RISP and OBP, which are more important that avg.

I think the hitting is fine. I just hope the pitching and defense hold up. That's what will make or break us, not hitting.

The 1-4 is getting on at a .355 clip too, despite hitting .212. I wouldn't worry too much about them getting up to .280, seeing as how only Thome's career average is at .280 or above (and it's right there at .281...Konerko's at .279). I'd worry much more about the combined average between the 4 of them being .260, because that means the slugging will be pretty damn good too then. If they hit .260 while maintaining just a 100 IsoOBP, I'd be more than happy (because I very strongly doubt they can maintain a 143 IsoOBP throughout the year, especially if they hit the combined .260 that they should hit)

QUOTE (DaveBrown85 @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 06:14 PM)
i see this was given a lot of thought. Seriously its not even a month into a season..

just an idea maybe we should bury his jersey in wrigley then he will turn around

I think it'd be hilarious if someone started that rumor online or something.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 02:20 AM)
So he hit 2 HR today and drew a walk. He looked much more comfortable at the player and is definitely seeing the ball better and taking some good hacks. We could be very dangerous if Konerko gets hot right here...

Today was nice, hopefully he keeps seeing the ball like he did today, but I still would like to see him go with the pitch more instead of pulling everything. We all know he can hammer fastballs.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 01:23 AM)
Today was nice, hopefully he keeps seeing the ball like he did today, but I still would like to see him go with the pitch more instead of pulling everything. We all know he can hammer fastballs.

Konerko's a dead pull hitter. I want him pulling everything. That's where his power is.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 02:39 AM)
Konerko's a dead pull hitter. I want him pulling everything. That's where his power is.

Maybe my memory is failing me, but I think I remember a time when he used to go the other way. He will definitely hit most of his homers to left, but I think getting in the mindset of hitting to center and right center can't hurt. Hopefully this discussion doesn't matter and he goes on a tear hitting to all fields or just pulling it with authority.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 02:58 AM)
Maybe my memory is failing me, but I think I remember a time when he used to go the other way. He will definitely hit most of his homers to left, but I think getting in the mindset of hitting to center and right center can't hurt. Hopefully this discussion doesn't matter and he goes on a tear hitting to all fields or just pulling it with authority.

In like 2004ish he was pretty good about it. That was about the last time. He'll double all over the field, but he generally plays just plays the left field line.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 02:39 AM)

No, you want him pulling everything that's "pull-able". A slider on the outside corner isn't pullable, but is a pitch that you can poke out to the opposite field.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 06:14 AM)
No, you want him pulling everything that's "pull-able". A slider on the outside corner isn't pullable, but is a pitch that you can poke out to the opposite field.

Well if it isnt pull-able, then he wouldnt be pulling it, now would he?

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Apr 20, 2008 -> 11:05 AM)
Yet again this guy is off to a slow start and is killing this team. Everytime Konerko bats with runners on it seems like a double play is about to happen or he's gonna strike out. I believe signing this guy long term was one of kw worst moves, as finding a 1b is pretty easy and its very easy to find one that hits over .170 for the first three months of the season while he gets his head out of his ass. This guy don't help the team with the bat and he never stepped up last year when the team sucked as the "team leader". Thank god kw got swish and cabrera, atleast these guys care about winning and have intensity unlike the minivan driving Konerko.

Thome is also off to a slow start but he normally don't stay in a slump for months like Konerko. Hell, this team could call up Josh Fields and Jerry Owens and I gurantee they would produce more than these two guys. owens, cabrera, swisher, thome/fields, dye, quinton, aj, crede, alexai/ozuna/uribe now thats a good lineup. The top 3 have good speed, and it eliminates the logjam of slow, powerhitters that strikeout too much at 3-4-5-6 (konerko, thome, dye, aj).

That's just my opinion. I think these team has a good chance of staying in the playoff chase this year and there "top hitter, team captain" just plain sucks again this year. The pitching and defense has been great this year, but this teams gotta hit too win. Its inexcusable for half this team hover around .200 again, and if that happens, this team will be a sub .500 team again.

I love it when people say things like "that's just my opinion." It's a post on a message board - were we to presume it was the word of god?