Crede and Free Agency

SkokieSox

Nothing really new here, but for those who were holding on hope that the early Sox success would change Crede's heart towards the Sox, it ain't happening:

According to the Sox, Boras told them late last season that they need not bother with an offer because he plans to explore the free-agent market for Crede.

But lost in all the rhetoric seems to be what Crede is open to.

''I have never said I didn't want to negotiate a deal,'' Crede said. ''There have never been any concrete talks with us on doing something. If that's what they want to do, that's fine. Our door is always open. You can never turn down something that will change not only your life, but your kids' lives and their kids' lives. You can't shut the door on that, no matter when it happens.

''It doesn't bother me that it's the stance they want to take. They have their negotiating tactics, and obviously we have ours.''

It's a little unfortunate that there appears either miscommunication from Crede's camp, or this includes the negotiating tactic he mentions. But it seems likely Boras' told the Sox to forget discussing a deal last year, and now Crede doesn't want to be the bad guy when he inevitably leaves town.

Ride it out, and give Fields his chance next year...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 06:52 AM)
Nothing really new here, but for those who were holding on hope that the early Sox success would change Crede's heart towards the Sox, it ain't happening:

According to the Sox, Boras told them late last season that they need not bother with an offer because he plans to explore the free-agent market for Crede.

But lost in all the rhetoric seems to be what Crede is open to.

''I have never said I didn't want to negotiate a deal,'' Crede said. ''There have never been any concrete talks with us on doing something. If that's what they want to do, that's fine. Our door is always open. You can never turn down something that will change not only your life, but your kids' lives and their kids' lives. You can't shut the door on that, no matter when it happens.

''It doesn't bother me that it's the stance they want to take. They have their negotiating tactics, and obviously we have ours.''

It's a little unfortunate that there appears either miscommunication from Crede's camp, or this includes the negotiating tactic he mentions. But it seems likely Boras' told the Sox to forget discussing a deal last year, and now Crede doesn't want to be the bad guy when he inevitably leaves town.

Ride it out, and give Fields his chance next year...

Is there any new information here? Seems to be the same story...Boras said he won't negotiate (he always brings his players to FA), but Crede says he loves Chicago and would stay (implied: for the right price).

EDIT: Also, the thread title is a bit misleading - it seems as if he was traded today, not that he won't sign here after the season is over.

Edited by Disco72

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 06:51 AM)
Is there any new information here? Seems to be the same story...Boras said he won't negotiate (he always brings his players to FA), but Crede says he loves Chicago and would stay (implied: for the right price).

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 05:52 AM)
Nothing really new here

LOL

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (MEANS @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:00 AM)
and we needed this thread because.........?????????????

Because we are all-Crede, All the time Baby. Any Crede news is Good news

Its getting about time to pull out the Crede-Talk sigs

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE (Disco72 @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:51 AM)

EDIT: Also, the thread title is a bit misleading - it seems as if he was traded today, not that he won't sign here after the season is over.

Yeah, just a little. Please change that, someone.

Y'all realize most if this is fill-in-the-blank negotiating. The agent and team barely look up to see who they are talking about, and while they are doing that the player talks about how much he wants to stay in ____________ town.

Marketing, positions, keeping the fan base happy. The player wants everyone to know how much he loves the fans in that town. The team wants the fans to know how hard they try and keep all the fan favorites. The agent looks at his paycheck and realized he is paid to be everyone's evil puppeteer.

Meanwhile, the team is seeing if they can get the same or better productivity for less. (Agents helping)

The player is seeing if he can get more from someone else. (Agent helping)

And the agent smiles and collects his paycheck.

What is really funny is the fans that will b**** that Crede leaves for the high bidder come from the same fan base that think he should be gone now. So when Crede should think about the fans, which fans are we talking about?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:17 AM)
I'd hire him in an instant.

I'm not saying I wouldn't. If I was a MLB player and good enough, I'd have Boras as my agent.

He's like the Bob Sugar of MLB.

HELL YES MY FRIEND.

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:25 AM)
Some people here are under the misconception that joe isn't full of s*** when he says he and his people are open to contract talks.

The double negative is confusing. You think he's full of s*** about being open to contract talks? I would say just the opposite. They are very open, as open as possible. To every team in baseball. And the team is open to contract talks with every 3b in baseball and any team that will give them something for Fields or Crede. Everyone looking out for their best interest.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:33 AM)
The double negative is confusing. You think he's full of s*** about being open to contract talks? I would say just the opposite. They are very open, as open as possible. To every team in baseball. And the team is open to contract talks with every 3b in baseball and any team that will give them something for Fields or Crede. Everyone looking out for their best interest.

He might say he is, but it appears his agent is saying not to bother. Since joe employs his agent too handle that specific matter, what is the difference?

I don't see how you can say your open, then have your agent say you are not. So yes, if he continues to employ boras, he is full of s***.

PS, that sentence doesn't qualify as a double negative. "Misconception" could be replaced with "wrong idea".

Edited by max power

I think if the following things happen:

1. Crede stays healthy

2. Crede has a good year

3. The Sox make him an offer that is within spitting distance of those likely in free agency

Then Crede may well stay with the club. Also, if someone makes a huge offer for Fields, that makes it probable. But, I don't think the Sox will make an offer, in years or money, that will be competitive. I wouldn't dismiss the possibility entirely though.

I'd rather keep Crede but if the Sox make the World Series again, it's all win/win.

Unless Fields' confidence has been shattered by not being in the big leagues when he should be in the big leagues, he will be a nice addition next year.

Crede will be in the lousy position of having to continue producing with a new team for huge bucks with fans demanding he be worth the money and years, when I would assume his back would be an issue at some point.

If his back remains healthy forever, kudos to Joe with all the hard hacks those guys take in games and BP and all the bending for grounders.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (max power @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 07:43 AM)
He might say he is, but it appears his agent is saying not to bother. Since joe employs his agent too handle that specific matter, what is the difference?

I don't see how you can say your open, then have your agent say you are not. So yes, if he continues to employ boras, he is full of s***.

PS, that sentence doesn't qualify as a double negative. "Misconception" could be replaced with "wrong idea".

OK, they are open to talks with every team in baseball except maybe one.

I still think our best option is to trade Crede at the deadline when his value is highest. The odds of him resigning with us are at about 10%, IMO, if not lower. The only way I wouldn't trade him is if Thome, Konerko, and Fields are still batting sub-.200 come July (or in Fields case, K'ing every other AB), and we are in the heat of playoff race. Plus, I still think Fields is the third baseman of the future for us.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 12:12 AM)
I still think our best option is to trade Crede at the deadline when his value is highest. The odds of him resigning with us are at about 10%, IMO, if not lower. The only way I wouldn't trade him is if Thome, Konerko, and Fields are still batting sub-.200 come July (or in Fields case, K'ing every other AB), and we are in the heat of playoff race. Plus, I still think Fields is the third baseman of the future for us.

I don't disagree if there is value to be had, but I think we'll end up being better off with draft picks. I don't see anyone giving up a lot for him at the deadline... Hope I'm wrong.

QUOTE (SEALgep @ Apr 22, 2008 -> 08:13 PM)
I don't disagree if there is value to be had, but I think we'll end up being better off with draft picks. I don't see anyone giving up a lot for him at the deadline... Hope I'm wrong.

Draft [sandwich] pick.