• Colt 45
    • PBR
    • Keystone
    • Old English

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 08:44 AM)
Rolling Rock did the same thing. I used to love that beer, then it sucked.

Dont they both come from the Latrobe brewery?

Rolling Rock gets skunky really easily for some reason. I am really cautious about buying it because the batches seem to vary so much.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 09:57 AM)
Im not a scientist, but I believe part of the reason Rolling Rock gets skunky so easy is because it has a green glass bottle. Green glass supposedly does not reflect light as well as the darker brown.

So why isnt MGD known for getting skunky quicker, since they have clear bottles? Or Miller High life? I didnt think it was light exposure, I thought it was exposure to air. Hmm, you learn something new every day

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)
Im not a scientist, but I believe part of the reason Rolling Rock gets skunky so easy is because it has a green glass bottle. Green glass supposedly does not reflect light as well as the darker brown.

could be...theres certainly alot of chemicals that i had in organic chem lab that had to be stored in dark bottles because the light catalyzed some sort of reaction that altered it

QUOTE (daa84 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
could be...theres certainly alot of chemicals that i had in organic chem lab that had to be stored in dark bottles because the light catalyzed some sort of reaction that altered it

Yeah, I've always heard that skunky smelling beer was caused by light... I actually believe that the technical term for the defection that causes the smell is "light struck beer" - not sure on that one though, so dont quote me on it.

Brown bottles are best at avoiding this problem and green/clear or the worst. Personal experience would make me agree with this statement, while I dont typically drink MGD or High Life (more a bud guy) I do run into skunky smells with Corona, Heineken, and Rolling Rock much more than I feel like I should.

Edit: Here is an article that I found explaining a study at UNC over this topic

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...c-ucf101701.php

Seems that light breaks down the hops, them breaking down is responsible for the bad smell/taste. Hops also help control the bacteria levels in beer.

Edited by southsidehawkeye

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 08:09 AM)
I'd like make an honorable mention for my favorite, Icehouse!

Yessir. It tastes like someone threw a bar of soap into a beer and said "here, it'll get you drunker 2 beers quicker!"

F*** that. If I'm gonna go for s***ty beer, I'll select something without that s***ty of a taste. If I'm looking to get f***ed up, I'll get Steel Reserve or liquor.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:44 AM)
Rolling Rock did the same thing. I used to love that beer, then it sucked.

Dont they both come from the Latrobe brewery?

QUOTE (Controlled Chaos @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:48 AM)
Red Dog is Plank Road Brewery.

Yes, and as we all know, the "Plank Road Brewery" is really SABMiller trying to fool people into thinking it's a micro.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 10:57 AM)

You are exactly right. The UV light passing through the green or clear glass and striking the beer produces a chemical called dimethyl sulfide (DMS). That is the skunky aroma and flavor compound in beer that is technically said to have been "lightstruck". Adjunct beer brewed with a significant amount of corn is particularly susceptible to the phenomenon, and in those cases th emall is very reminiscent of Green Giant niblets corn that has gone horribly wrong somewhere.

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 11:39 AM)
So why isnt MGD known for getting skunky quicker, since they have clear bottles? Or Miller High life? I didnt think it was light exposure, I thought it was exposure to air. Hmm, you learn something new every day

No, it's light, not oxygen. Oxidized beer has a stale cardboard taste, not DMS. As to why High Life and MGD don't get lightstruck as often, I really think their handlers and drivers do a better job of not exposing the bottles to light.

Interesting Miller trivia: MGD and Miller High Life are the exact same recipe formulation (and both are 4.7%), but High Life is heat pasteurized while MGD is microfiltered under refrigeration.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 02:14 PM)
Yes, and as we all know, the "Plank Road Brewery" is really SABMiller trying to fool people into thinking it's a micro.

You are exactly right. The UV light passing through the green or clear glass and striking the beer produces a chemical called dimethyl sulfide (DMS). That is the skunky aroma and flavor compound in beer that is technically said to have been "lightstruck". Adjunct beer brewed with a significant amount of corn is particularly susceptible to the phenomenon, and in those cases th emall is very reminiscent of Green Giant niblets corn that has gone horribly wrong somewhere.

No, it's light, not oxygen. Oxidized beer has a stale cardboard taste, not DMS. As to why High Life and MGD don't get lightstruck as often, I really think their handlers and drivers do a better job of not exposing the bottles to light.

Interesting Miller trivia: MGD and Miller High Life are the exact same recipe formulation (and both are 4.7%), but High Life is heat pasteurized while MGD is microfiltered under refrigeration.

So why does keg beer get skunky after the keg is tapped and left overnight? There is no light reaching the beer

QUOTE (southsidehawkeye @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 02:39 PM)
Yeah, I've always heard that skunky smelling beer was caused by light... I actually believe that the technical term for the defection that causes the smell is "light struck beer" - not sure on that one though, so dont quote me on it.

Brown bottles are best at avoiding this problem and green/clear or the worst. Personal experience would make me agree with this statement, while I dont typically drink MGD or High Life (more a bud guy) I do run into skunky smells with Corona, Heineken, and Rolling Rock much more than I feel like I should.

Edit: Here is an article that I found explaining a study at UNC over this topic

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...c-ucf101701.php

Seems that light breaks down the hops, them breaking down is responsible for the bad smell/taste. Hops also help control the bacteria levels in beer.

Well, dangit son, you beat me to it and I should have read the whole thread. Good on ya. :cheers

QUOTE (kyyle23 @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
So why does keg beer get skunky after the keg is tapped and left overnight? There is no light reaching the beer

That's oxidization/loss of carbonation, and I guess you can cell it skunkiness but it is a distinctly different flavor from the lightstruck DMS skunkiness.

That doesn't happen to kegs that are tapped and dispensed with CO2 or beer gas (a CO2/nitorgen mix), of course, and that's why bars and restaurants can have a keg on tap for weeks without it going bad.

That's very interesting. I can't stand High Life but I've always thought MGD was a very drinkable macrobrew. Maybe it's just been a perception issue all these years. Or do the different sterilization techniques have that large an effect on taste?

QUOTE (maggliopipe @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 03:26 PM)
That's very interesting. I can't stand High Life but I've always thought MGD was a very drinkable macrobrew. Maybe it's just been a perception issue all these years. Or do the different sterilization techniques have that large an effect on taste?

There is a taste difference. Pasteurization kills some of the subtle flavors associated with the perception of a beer's 'freshness', and so the cold-filtering of MGD was supposed to give the packaged versions of that product a fresh taste reminiscent of unpasteurized High Life on draft. On the other hand, microfiltering removes some small molecules the lend themselves to the mouthfeel of a beer, so there are a couple of reasons for very subtle flavor differences between the brands.

Interesting Miller trivia: MGD and Miller High Life are the exact same recipe formulation (and both are 4.7%), but High Life is heat pasteurized while MGD is microfiltered under refrigeration...............

...........and they both suck ass. I can't believe they serve that crap at ball games and such.

I believe OE, Steel Reserve and Colt 45 are Malt Liquor and not really beer per se.

My vote goes for Schlitz. And Schlitz Ice.

"Malt Liquor" is beer with higher alcohol.

Steel Reserve just won a gold medal in those beer tasting events.

QUOTE (FlaSoxxJim @ Apr 23, 2008 -> 02:37 PM)
There is a taste difference. Pasteurization kills some of the subtle flavors associated with the perception of a beer's 'freshness', and so the cold-filtering of MGD was supposed to give the packaged versions of that product a fresh taste reminiscent of unpasteurized High Life on draft. On the other hand, microfiltering removes some small molecules the lend themselves to the mouthfeel of a beer, so there are a couple of reasons for very subtle flavor differences between the brands.

Very cool. Thanks :cheers

QUOTE (santo=dorf @ Apr 24, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
"Malt Liquor" is beer with higher alcohol.

Correct. In some US markets, I've seen imports like Oberdorfer weiss and Spaten Optimator stamped as malt liquors, so that use of the term represents a broad alcohol-based designation.

American malt liquor, however, is a recognized beer style – for better or worse. BJCP style guidelines place it as a stye in the catch-all "specialty beer" category, and the ABG (The Great American Beer Festival people) place it in its own judging category. It's almost universally brewed with lager yeast abd it has a ridiculously high percentage of adjunct fermentables – not just corn and rice, but often plain dextrose sugar as well. Additional amylase enzymes are often added to the mash to maximize conversion of cereal starch to fermentable sugar Lager yeasts used are high-attenuating strains, meaning they ferment almost all of the fermentable sugars resulting in a high alcohol/low body product. Fermentation of all that adjunct sugar to a high alcohol often results in the formation of an appreciable amount of fusel alcohols, which can give the beer a harsh solvent-like aroma. The "charcoal filtering" proudly noted on the label of Olde English 800 is actually used to remove the harsh fusels.

Mmm mmm yummy, eh?