All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lostfan @ May 14, 2008 -> 05:44 PM)
lol so I'm kinda half-listening to Edwards speak and I just heard him borrow a couple words from Reagan i.e. "tear that wall down." Same inflection and tone and everything.

hmmm..... I was listening to it and didnt even think of that.. good catch.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 14, 2008 -> 02:42 PM)
Not worth the time. They could gain a few, maybe several points in Kentucky with Edwards help I guess, but Clinton is still going to win big and Obama is still going to be the nominee in November. Everything Obama does should look towards November, including using Edwards to help gain the support of more male white voters.

Honestly though...yes I send Edwards directly to KY, and maybe have him make 1 stop in Oregon otherwise.

Even a marginal improvement in the "White" exit polls in a heavily anti-Obama, Appalachian state would be a positive step.

Some comic relief from Andy Borowitz:

Hillary Vows to Fight on for Edwards' Endorsement

Just moments after former presidential candidate John Edwards endorsed Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill) for president, Sen. Hillary Clinton (D-NY) vowed to "continue the fight" for Edwards' endorsement.

"My friends, I will fight for the endorsement of John Edwards, even if it takes all summer," she told supporters in Louisville, Kentucky. "I have not begun to fight for this endorsement!"

The New York senator appeared to brush off Mr. Edwards' endorsement of Sen. Obama, saying, "I don't know what that has to do with anything."

While Sen. Clinton acknowledged that Sen. Edwards had made a joint appearance with Sen. Obama in which he endorsed the Illinois senator, she said, "If you think that's going to make me give up trying to get John Edwards' endorsement, you've got another thing coming."

She said that she was also "unconcerned" that Sen. Edwards had recently gotten a new phone number and not shared it with her.

"Anyone who believes that I'm going to be deterred by an obstacle like that doesn't know what I'm made of," she said. "Mark my words, I am going to get that endorsement."

Just found this breakdown on the 2210 target proposed by the Clinton campaign. Ultimately it stills looks grim for her even if that new number is utilized.

OK, let's look at how Obama got to 2025. He needs 159 more delegates now according to DemComWatch, let's say he gets 60 from OR/KY/WV (a pretty achievable goal) and 25 from add ons (again low balling his likely total), and 74 superdelegate commitments after he clinches the pledged delegate lead.

So he's at 2025, the rules committee meets, and says FL and MI counts in full. He's doomed, right? Wrong. Remember, Obama is going to get some of those delegates. Michigan's recent plan - not the Obama camp's plan mind you, but Michigan's - would give him 59 delegates. In Florida, he earned 67 delegates. So immediately he'd be at 2151. He also has 6 superdelegate commitments from those states (5 from MI, one from FL), so he's be at 2157. Moreover, the elections aren't over.

Puerto Rico, Montana, and South Dakota would still vote. Of those 86 delegates, Obama would receive close to 40. That gets him to 2197.

So with conservative assumptions, even with MI and FL counted in full, Obama would be within [13] delegates of the nomination with 164 superdelegates left to commit (remember the number is higher because I'm giving FL and MI their superdelegates).

Edited by BigSqwert

here's why the Edwards endorsement matters and the right thing at the right time:

Obama IS the nominee, the math all but proves it. So what did West Virginia show us? Obama has a HUGE problem with blue collar whites. So the smart thing and the right thing to do for the party was for John Edwards to come out for Obama while the media is talking about his blue collar problem. This will help erase that. I'm sure John would rather Clinton won, but since she WON'T this is the best way for him to still make a difference in this election and help this party win in November, which is the most important thing. He needed to come out for Obama and this was the best time to do it.

Bush Compares Obama To Nazi Appeasers

"Some seem to believe we should negotiate with terrorists and radicals, as if some ingenious argument will persuade them they have been wrong all along... We have heard this foolish delusion before. As Nazi tanks crossed into Poland in 1939, an American Senator declared: 'Lord, if only I could have talked to Hitler, all of this might have been avoided.' We have an obligation to call this what it is -- the false comfort of appeasement, which has been repeatedly discredited by history."

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2008 -> 09:02 AM)
here's why the Edwards endorsement matters and the right thing at the right time:

Obama IS the nominee, the math all but proves it. So what did West Virginia show us? Obama has a HUGE problem with blue collar whites. So the smart thing and the right thing to do for the party was for John Edwards to come out for Obama while the media is talking about his blue collar problem. This will help erase that. I'm sure John would rather Clinton won, but since she WON'T this is the best way for him to still make a difference in this election and help this party win in November, which is the most important thing. He needed to come out for Obama and this was the best time to do it.

Here's a related piece from Reason on Edwards' help for Obama.

Strangely enough, some of the commenters don't seem to like either Obama or Edwards. Go figure.

No Dem 527

Just weeks after it launched an aggressive effort to raise $40 million for an ad campaign defining McCain, the group that was expected to be the main independent voice has given up on the highest-profile element of its mission.

I wrote earlier this week that Obama's finance chairwoman had been pushing his top donors to stay away. Now, Progressive Media USA confirms that it's worked.

Cillizza reports:

"Progre
s
s
ive Media will not be running an independent ad campaign thi
s
year," David Broc
k
, the head of the organization, confirmed in a
s
tatement.

"Progre
s
s
ive Media wa
s
e
s
tabli
s
hed to be an independent, ongoing progre
s
s
ive i
s
s
ue advocacy organization," Broc
k
added. "We were not e
s
tabli
s
hed for one i
s
s
ue, one candidate or one election cycle. But donor
s
and potential donor
s
are getting clear
s
ignal
s
from the Obama camp through the new
s
media and we recognize that reality."

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 15, 2008 -> 09:25 AM)

This kind of thing is why I think Obama might win after all. Even when he makes a point that a lot of people would disagree with (talking with our enemies, I don't think he realizes how many people will not like that idea in this country), an idiot from the right goes at it the wrong way. Even the point of comparing terrorists to nazi's is certainly valid in terms of the death and terror they cause, but of course Bush has to go and compare Obama to nazi appeasers, which is WAY over the line, wrong, and plain old stupid. I know one thing: Our President is an idiot.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (bmags @ May 15, 2008 -> 02:57 PM)
and another thing, opening up dialogue is not negotiating.

exactly. I think any therapist would tell you that nothing gets done when you scream at each other from across the room (or the world). There needs to be a calm organized talk. Obviously these are different situations, but you get my point.

ps just an interesting tidbit, my dad is an Edwards delegate from Iowa... i'm not sure yet where he's decided to go or if he'll stay with Edwards. Too bad Edwards endorsed because he was looking forward to that call from Obama and Hillary and was planning on asking them for a jetski.

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2008 -> 01:30 PM)
ps just an interesting tidbit, my dad is an Edwards delegate from Iowa... i'm not sure yet where he's decided to go or if he'll stay with Edwards. Too bad Edwards endorsed because he was looking forward to that call from Obama and Hillary and was planning on asking them for a jetski.

:notworthy :headbang :lolhitting

QUOTE (Reddy @ May 15, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)

Jetski :headbang :notworthy

Is he one of the state "regional" delegates or one of the 45 that go to Denver?

Interesting note:

This Edwards endorsement REALLY huts Clinton's MI and FL fight.

In FL, let's assume Edwards' 13 delegates shift to Obama. The count is then Clinton 105 - Obama 80. A net of only 25, rather than 38.

In MI, Clinton cant argue that Obama shouldn't get all 55 of the "uncommitted" delegates because Edwards was still alive when MI voted. So, at the very lease Obama should get 55 MI delegates to Clinton's 73.