All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something for you Hillary supporters to think about this November. It's from a well-written blog...

Should Sen. Barack Obama emerge as the Democratic candidate, women have compelling reasons to support his candidacy. Here are my top ten:

10. Nearly half of women voting in the Democratic primaries already support Sen. Obama's candidacy. CNN compiled exit polling data from all the states that held primaries before West Virginia. Averaging the percentage that each candidate received from women voters in these states, the two Democratic candidates were only three points apart (46.6% for Obama, 49.6% for Clinton). Sen. Obama won the women's vote in 13 states, compared to 16 for Clinton -- and that's not counting the caucuses where he won decisively, including among women.

9. Support for Sen. Obama among women is not surprising. His stands on issues important to women, from fair pay to reproductive justice to support for paid sick days and paid family leave, are strikingly similar to Sen. Clinton's. He'll be not just on the right side but a champion for gender justice. Above all, he has shown his commitment and ability to galvanize grassroots movements -- the key to moving our agenda.

8. He has attributed his understanding of gender to the strong women in his life, including his mother, grandmother and wife Michelle. Having been raised by a single mother, he has insights into the lives of those who need food stamps to feed their families or have to choose between seeking health care or paying the rent. As an engaged father he understands the reality of work-life conflicts, but he also sees how these fall disproportionately on women, and how much more difficult they are for women without resources.

7. Our anger at the sexism that emerged in this campaign, from low-life hecklers to high-profile pundits, should stoke our determination but not determine our vote. At the same time, we must all oppose the racism that emerged in both blatant and coded ways and recognize that breaking that glass ceiling is also a blow to the Big Boys, one that weakens them and strengthens us.

6. Women can set an example of unity to build a stronger party that draws on the unprecedented turnout in the primaries among African-Americans, women of all races, young people and others who have too long been left out of political decision-making. Such a coming together will not only power an election victory, but lay the groundwork for significant social change in the coming years.

5. John McCain on the war: Sen. Obama's early judgment opposing the war in Iraq puts him in an excellent position to take on John McCain, who has not only supported the war from its onset but professed to having no problem should troops remain in Iraq for 100 years. Women can't afford a president who thinks "Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran" is a stance to brag about.

4. John McCain on the right to abortion: not only does he oppose it, he's pledged to fill any Supreme Court vacancies with justices who will overturn Roe v. Wade.

3. John McCain on health care: McCain voted against reauthorizing the State Children's Health Insurance Program for five years. His health plan provides $2 billion in tax cuts to the top ten health insurance companies, while allowing those companies to exclude people with pre-existing conditions.

2. John McCain on valuing families: When Congress was considering the Family and Medical Leave Act in 1993, McCain voted to suspend it unless the federal government certified that compliance wouldn't increase business expenses or gave employers financial assistance to cover any costs. He supports a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage and campaigned for an Arizona constitutional amendment banning any legal recognition to gay couples.

1. John McCain on fair pay: He opposes the Fair Pay Restoration Act on the grounds that it will create too many lawsuits (this is like opposing OSHA inspections on the grounds that too many violations will be found). He also opposed raising the minimum wage and safeguarding overtime rights.

And did I mention John McCain?

Those of us who have been supporting Obama welcome the passionate, hard-working supporters of Sen. Clinton -- as we will support her should the campaign turn out differently than expected. Every woman angry at the way in which gender discrimination has robbed our pay, crimped our opportunities, devalued our work in the labor force and in the home, minimized our pain and trivialized the barriers we face, now has a great opportunity to determine the outcome of this election. We also have a great responsibility, to ourselves and the women who follow.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 22, 2008 -> 06:27 AM)
Here's something for you Hillary supporters to think about this November. It's from a well-written blog...

Just in case you can't read, this is the PRO HILLARY thread. You have enough threads around here bowing too your messiah.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 22, 2008 -> 08:37 AM)
I don't know that this is really pro-Obama, but it's not anti-Obama, it's only about him, and it's an interesting read. The NYT on Obama's problems within the Florida Jewish population:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/us/politics/22jewish.html

That article contains several obnoxious realities... on several different levels.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ May 22, 2008 -> 07:48 AM)
Just in case you can't read, this is the PRO HILLARY thread. You have enough threads around here bowing too your messiah.

I thought it was borderline regarding which thread to put it in. Thanks for the added snark.

QUOTE (jackie hayes @ May 22, 2008 -> 07:34 AM)
Just something I've been thinking about, probably not realistic, just an interesting question. If they could change Mark Warner's mind, would it be worth having him on the ticket at the cost of losing the Senate seat?

The way things look right now...The issue with losing a Senate seat might well be whether or not Lieberman is the difference between a majority and a filibuster-proof majority.

In other words, yes, we can afford to lose a Senate seat in the next Senate.

I am REALLY liking SurveyUSA's polling. THey are doing an INCREDIBLE job!

vp-va.png

What might be more interesting is that Obama is leaving in VA by 8!

SurveyUSA can show you that in October of 2006, John McCain led Barack Obama among Virginia’s registered voters by 20 points. Today, 19 months later, the same question, using the same methodology, as you can see in the table below, shows Barack Obama defeating John McCain by 7 points.

If Obama can get a nice lead in VA, that changes the map drastically.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 22, 2008 -> 09:36 AM)
I wonder what an Obama/Clinton ticket would produce in these polls.

More than likely the best result of all of them...because the VP polls at this point are, quite frankly, nothing other than a "Do you recognize this name" test.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ May 22, 2008 -> 10:27 AM)
If Obama can get a nice lead in VA, that changes the map drastically.

Let me explain that statement:

Based on 270toWin.com's interactive map and states that Obama will win big or has a solid chance of winning, he can win the nomination with the following states:

Washington, Oregon, Cali, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, DC, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, and Maine. (I hope I got them all).

That gives Obama 274 electoral votes (not including the one or two he might get in Nebraska which isnt winner take all)

1. WITH Virginia- Obama can lose Minnesota or Wisconsin.
  2. WITH Virginia- he can lose 2 of the following 3 out-west states: Nevada, Colorado, and New Mexico.
  3. WITH Virginia- He can lose Michigan as long as he wins the 3 out-west swing states.

It gives him more flexibility.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

It's official! The Clinton campaign has said on the record that Obama should get NO delegates out of MI at all. none. zero. zip. He wasnt on the ballot, he gets none.

In a conference call with reporters, Clinton Senior Adviser Harold Ickes clarified their position on Michigan -- they don't want the 55 "uncommitted" delegates to go to Obama (his name did not appear on the ballot in Michigan).

There have been reports that some of the uncommitted delegates in Michigan already selected are union supporters of Clinton. This solution, unsurprisingly, would make it much harder for Obama to clinch a pledged delegate majority.

Hmmm...well, this is certainly convenient.

No one releases a new type of toothpaste on the Friday before Memorial Day. It is what news editors and marketing reps consider a publicity black hole, a time when the nation's attention turns from televisions and newspapers to filling swimming pools and driving to the beach. So it is no accident that the much delayed release of John McCain's health records has been scheduled for tomorrow. The campaign is billing the event as an unprecedented, transparent look at McCain's medical records since his 2000 diagnosis with type IIa melanoma. But the campaign is also clearly trying to carefully control how the information is distributed.

The actual medical records will be viewed by only a select few news organizations, and even fewer print reporters. According to a report in the New York Times, the pool that will view the actual medical records Friday morning will include reporters from the three national wire services, the Associated Press, Reuters and Bloomberg, as well as the major television networks, NBC, ABC, CBS, CNN and Fox. Only two newspapers are scheduled to be allowed access, the Washington Post and the Arizona Republic. While prior McCain campaign pool events have included a spot for a newsmagazine reporter, no reporter from TIME, Newsweek or U.S. News will be allowed to view the records, the campaign confirmed Thursday morning. All print reporters traveling with the campaign will receive a pool report of the records review, which will be written by pool reporters.

The campaign has not explained how the pool was selected, and has so far rebuffed requests by a number of news organizations, including TIME, to expand the pool. It is not clear what impact, if any, the lack of more access will have on the way the medical documents are reported.

Friday's medical release is also notable for what records will not be released. In late 1999, a select group of news organizations were able to view about 1,500 pages of medical records dating back McCain's Navy service in Vietnam, which will not be reshown on Friday. Those records included psychological evaluations of McCain as far back as the 1970s. The evaluations generally showed McCain to be in good mental and physical health.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2008 -> 03:23 PM)

I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt on this. I dont believe there is a need to release his records to every single media agency and every blog in the world. I wouldnt want my unexciting records out there either. A few "responsible" news agencies wont play up his most recent prostate exam as a news story. If there is something to see, they'll report it..

QUOTE (Texsox @ May 22, 2008 -> 02:22 PM)
Good to know who has the most IOUs out there.

Actually, the $31 million in debt was a mistake, it's actually around $21 million. I think it was an LA Times missprint if I recall correctly, but it's so unimportant I'm not going to bother to look.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)
Actually, the $31 million in debt was a mistake, it's actually around $21 million. I think it was an LA Times missprint if I recall correctly, but it's so unimportant I'm not going to bother to look.

I'm wondering whose IOUs are worse, the ones that come with debt or the ones that come attached to donations ;)

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ May 22, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
We don't have any right to McCain's medical records, IMO, beyond a basic "he has a good bill of health."

exactly my point. I can only imagine f FDR tried t run for re-election today. He'd have been skewered by the press.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 22, 2008 -> 05:39 PM)

i think 31 might factor in her $11 million in personal loans.