All Things Pro-Obama

Soxy

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Robert Kennedy Jr. says:

It is clear from the context that Hillary was invoking a familiar political circumstance in order to support her decision to stay in the race through June. I have heard her make this reference before, also citing her husband's 1992 race, both of which were hard fought through June. I understand how highly charged the atmosphere is, but I think it is a mistake for people to take offense.

Needless to say, from my previous comment about Olbermann and this one, I agree with RFK Jr.

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 25, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
Robert Kennedy Jr. says:

Needless to say, from my previous comment about Olbermann and this one, I agree with RFK Jr.

You are in the minority in the blogosphere world.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ May 26, 2008 -> 12:13 PM)
Which means he is probably right, because bloggers are generally pretty stupid.

Not just referring to the bloggers themselves but the people who respond to them. The Huffington Post piece about the RFK remark has about 20K user comments and I'll bet less than 10% of those comments sympathize with her on this one. Many of the ones I read are from her supporters who are appalled by what she said.

Edited by BigSqwert

The Associated Press -- McCain likes idea of traveling to Iraq with Obama: After criticizing Democratic opponent Sen. Barack Obama for not having been to Iraq since 2006, Republican presidential contender Sen. John McCain on Monday endorsed the idea of a trip together to the war zone. In an interview with the AP, McCain said such a trip "would be fine" and that he would "seize that opportunity to educate Senator Obama along the way." Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham, a McCain supporter, brought up the idea over the weekend. McCain has been to Iraq about every six months since the war there began in March 2003. Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton said that the Democratic candidate "thinks Memorial Day is a day to honor our nation's veterans, not a day for political posturing." McCain supports the troop "surge" and has opposed calls to start bringing U.S. forces home. Obama says he would immediately start withdrawing troops if he becomes president.

I think Obama should join McCain in Iraq. They can see it together and talk about the situation in that country.

Edited by Gregory Pratt

QUOTE (Gregory Pratt @ May 27, 2008 -> 10:40 AM)
I think Obama should join McCain in Iraq. They can see it together and talk about the situation in that country.

I think that's a great idea, but I LOL'd when I read that quote about McCain saying he'd educate Obama along the way. Not that he couldn't do that, but its just such a political statement, couched in this air of cooperation, I had to laugh.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2008 -> 09:48 AM)
I think that's a great idea, but I LOL'd when I read that quote about McCain saying he'd educate Obama along the way. Not that he couldn't do that, but its just such a political statement, couched in this air of cooperation, I had to laugh.

God I hope McCain doesnt try and educate ANYONE on Iraq. They'd be all confused as to who the SUnni and s***e are.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2008 -> 02:10 PM)
Why they keep pumping out those polls with Hagel in there, and no Richardson or Bayh, is beyond me.

also no Jindal (sp?) for McCain? Wasn't he one of the 3 people McCain had a meeting with?

Edited by SoxFan562004

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 27, 2008 -> 03:20 PM)
He was at a meeting at McCain's ranch this past weekend, yes.

That meeting is looking more and more like a, "Gee, I like you guys, but don't count on getting a call from me to be my running mate", affair.

These potential VP comparisons are pretty meaningless now and they will be until there are 2 candidates left and we are in full general election mode. There's no way to get an accurate gauge of Dems as long as Hillary supporters still think she has a chance.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ May 27, 2008 -> 12:41 PM)
These potential VP comparisons are pretty meaningless now and they will be until there are 2 candidates left and we are in full general election mode. There's no way to get an accurate gauge of Dems as long as Hillary supporters still think she has a chance.

Furthermore, they're even more meaningless in that 2/3 of the people being polled simply aren't known outside of most political circles. How many people nationwide know people like the governor of Arizona, or Pennsylvania? The reason Edwards does the best on all of those is..."Oh yeah, John Edwards, I know him!"

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ May 27, 2008 -> 04:06 PM)
Furthermore, they're even more meaningless in that 2/3 of the people being polled simply aren't known outside of most political circles. How many people nationwide know people like the governor of Arizona, or Pennsylvania? The reason Edwards does the best on all of those is..."Oh yeah, John Edwards, I know him!"

That's also the reason why Hillary was seen as so dominant early in the race. That was her biggest strength in early contests.

From here:

http://www.slate.com/id/2192185/

As awful as the McCain campaign's treatment of the Times may be, the candidate and the campaign are still a million times more open than the zipped-lip, locked-down, maximum-security, unapproachable Obama campaign. Why isn't the press complaining about Obama's lack of transparency?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ May 27, 2008 -> 04:49 PM)
Why anyone thinks Bayh would be on Obama's short list is beyond me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 27, 2008 -> 06:32 PM)
He was one of the last Hillary holdouts on the planet. Not a chance.

IMO, that all changes when Obama clinches it officially. At that point, I think Bayh is on the short list, and I don't think he'll complain about that either.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:46 AM)
IMO, that all changes when Obama clinches it officially. At that point, I think Bayh is on the short list, and I don't think he'll complain about that either.

If Obama is the nominee, he doesn't need Bayh.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ May 28, 2008 -> 08:11 AM)
If Obama is the nominee, he doesn't need Bayh.

I'm not so sure, and in fact I think Bayh could be more useful to Obama than he is to Clinton. I think Bayh presents some nice advantages for him - Indiana then is in play, for example. Not that I think Bayh is the most likely guy, I don't, but I'd bet he's on an initial list.

I am not sure if thi shas been posted or not, but...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24844889

McCain economic policy shaped by lobbyist

Republican presidential candidate Sen. John McCain’s national campaign general co-chair was being paid by a Swiss bank to lobby Congress about the U.S. mortgage crisis at the same time he was advising McCain about his economic policy, federal records show.

“Countdown with Keith Olbermann” reported Tuesday night that lobbying disclosure forms, filed by the giant Swiss bank UBS, list McCain’s campaign co-chair, former Texas Sen. Phil Gramm, as a lobbyist dealing specifically with legislation regarding the mortgage crisis as recently as Dec. 31, 2007.

Gramm joined the bank in 2002 and had registered as a lobbyist by 2004. UBS filed paperwork deregistering Gramm on April 18 of this year. Gramm continues to serve as a UBS vice chairman.