UNDER AGE DRINKERS BEWARE!

J-MAN

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 03:40 PM)
Which is the only purpose of Tylenol :unsure:

Are you including people who are, for example, high and fall off a balcony during Spring break?

Do you have statistics on that? I'd like to know how many people did that. Outliers and extreme circumstances do not make an argument.

QUOTE (The Beast @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 05:33 PM)
No, IMO, it's stupid because Marijuana is illegal. But you know, that won't hold up with people.

What? A debate about whether or not pot should be legal is stupid because pot is illegal? Are you sure you're sober?

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 04:40 PM)
Which is the only purpose of Tylenol :unsure:

Are you including people who are, for example, high and fall off a balcony during Spring break?

What about tylenol 3 (the stuff with codine) or any other prescription pain killer? Plenty of people take those to get high/ stoned/ whatever.

Edited by StrangeSox

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:40 PM)

You can't be serious -- you meant to put green there and just forgot, right? Please tell me you do, in fact, have a brain and just had a lapse while you made this post...

Christ -- can we move absurd posts like this to admin record keeping, too*? My goodness...

* I'm being facetious with this question, in case that isn't clear.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 05:40 PM)
Do you have statistics on that? I'd like to know how many people did that. Outliers and extreme circumstances do not make an argument.

I'm not going to debate you on this, we've done this before. You are correct that you will OD on water before you will on marijuana. But that is a misleading statement. People do stupid, and fatal things while high. To ignore those deaths is silly. Driving high and various other marijuana influences lapses in judgement do cause deaths. As do many other things. You make it seem as if nothing will ever happen to you if you are high.

Marijuana is now one of the leading causes of drug-related emergency room episodes. In a 1999 report of 664 drug-related deaths, 187 of them resulted from marijuana use alone.
from http://wctu.org/marijuana_update.html how many from Tylenol?

(Pages 20048, 20049) Hospital Emergency Room Overdoses

Marijuana use is frequently mentioned in hospital emergency room drug overdose visits. The rate for marijuana is about half that for cocaine, about the same as for heroin/morphine, but is twice the rates for common household painkillers aspirin/acetaminophen and for benzodiazepine depressants such as Xanax and Valium.

While marijuana typically had been used with another drug, particularly alcohol and cocaine, in 1999 marijuana use as a single drug did account for 22% of the marijuana emergency room incidents. By way of comparison, single use of cocaine and heroin accounted for 29% and 47% of the cocaine and heroin episodes, respectively.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 10:31 PM)
I once heard of a guy who had to go to the hospital as a result of smoking marijuana. Turns out the dude ate an entire pound of cheese and it was hemorrhaging his stomach.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 09:35 PM)
I'm not going to debate you on this, we've done this before. You are correct that you will OD on water before you will on marijuana. But that is a misleading statement. People do stupid, and fatal things while high. To ignore those deaths is silly. Driving high and various other marijuana influences lapses in judgement do cause deaths. As do many other things. You make it seem as if nothing will ever happen to you if you are high.

from http://wctu.org/marijuana_update.html how many from Tylenol?

Did you just quote a women's christian group? And their sweet 1999 study which has no references. And some how say that there are marijuana overdoses? Maybe by sliding in that its "related" gave them some flexibility to write absolute lies. All I got from that study is that I shouldnt let a pregnant woman smoke, and let infants smoke pot. Ok, pregnant diet, no sushi, no dairy, no coffee, no pot, gotcha. Maybe that craptacular information works on younger kids, but its not gonna fly with me.

Heres a website to counter your sisters of the christian cloth who hate weed source, and mine cites sources.

http://www.drugtext.org/sub/marmyt1.html

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 09:22 PM)
Over/under on number of posts in this thread before it ends up in the Buster?

It is kinda funny that this thread and the "I am drunk" thread are running so long!

When I started this thread my thought was it is ironic that several courteous fans who were discreet about it were busted for underage drinking but yet many obviously overserved adults both inside and outside the stadium do not get busted.

:gosoxretro:

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 07:57 AM)
Did you just quote a women's christian group? And their sweet 1999 study which has no references. And some how say that there are marijuana overdoses? Maybe by sliding in that its "related" gave them some flexibility to write absolute lies. All I got from that study is that I shouldnt let a pregnant woman smoke, and let infants smoke pot. Ok, pregnant diet, no sushi, no dairy, no coffee, no pot, gotcha. Maybe that craptacular information works on younger kids, but its not gonna fly with me.

Heres a website to counter your sisters of the christian cloth who hate weed source, and mine cites sources.

http://www.drugtext.org/sub/marmyt1.html

If marijuana was made legal, do you think it should carry warnings about operating equipment, driving, etc?

Are you contending that no one has ever been in a fatal accident driving high? :lolhitting

If you really believe that being high has never caused someone to have a fatal accident, that's wonderful. Keep posting, I crack up every time you start this rant.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:30 PM)
If you really believe that being high has never caused someone to have a fatal accident, that's wonderful. Keep posting, I crack up every time you start this rant.

This coming from the guy who cited a person falling off a balcony deck as an anti-marijuana argument? That's awesome. I understand you gotta have an opinion on everything, though -- kind of par for the course type of thing.

QUOTE (CWSGuy406 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:40 PM)
This coming from the guy who cited a person falling off a balcony deck as an anti-marijuana argument? That's awesome. I understand you gotta have an opinion on everything, though -- kind of par for the course type of thing.

It appears as if my response confused you, it happens some times when people are reading quickly and only see what they want to see. I was not making an anti-marijuana argument. I disagree with Rock's argument that no one has ever died from marijuana. Obviously you agree with Rock that no one ever dies as a result of being high. That is your choice to believe. I think y'all have your heads in the sand. There are medical risks with every drug, including your beloved marijuana, if you think that is an anti-marijuana argument, so be it. But y'all crack me up believing there are zero health risks to marijuana.

Happened last year on South Padre, all his buddies said he was high, he tested positive. Rock claims that no one has ever died from marijuana. Just pointing out one family that would disagree.

And for the record, I have stated I think marijuana should be decriminalized. We spend way to much money on enforcing marijuana laws.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:29 PM)
I've been to the hospital due to pain killers, but never marijuana. Just my 2 cents.

most painkillers are much stronger, more serious, drugs. Relatively speakers, most marijuana is a very mild drug.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 01:45 PM)
It appears as if my response confused you, it happens some times when people are reading quickly and only see what they want to see. I was not making an anti-marijuana argument. I disagree with Rock's argument that no one has ever died from marijuana. Obviously you agree with Rock that no one ever dies as a result of being high. That is your choice to believe. I think y'all have your heads in the sand. There are medical risks with every drug, including your beloved marijuana, if you think that is an anti-marijuana argument, so be it. But y'all crack me up believing there are zero health risks to marijuana.

Happened last year on South Padre, all his buddies said he was high, he tested positive. Rock claims that no one has ever died from marijuana. Just pointing out one family that would disagree.

And for the record, I have stated I think marijuana should be decriminalized. We spend way to much money on enforcing marijuana laws.

Nobody said zero health risks, not everything is black and white buddy. There are medical risks with certain baby bottles, driving in heavy traffic, living in a city, driving your car, riding the bus, touching anything on the subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, cold medicine, you name it.

And NOBODY has died from Marijuana. Maybe they smoked and jumped off a balcony, well they died from stupidity and most likely hitting their head on the ground. If you can clearly find a case of someone smoking so much weed that they died, then you can build a case, until that happens you dont really have a case. That would be the same as saying that you can die from using a cell phone since people die from driving, walking, operating boats, skiing, etc while talking on their cell phone.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 08:30 AM)

listening to the Sox game has probably caused someone to have a fatal accident, nice correlation keep it up, its hilarious.

Heres a nice page going over the causes of death, with sources.

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm

Drug warriors justify their war against the American people by claiming that certain illegal drugs are killing our children, killing adults, and generally ruining our society. But look at the figures on drugs and death. In a typical year, the approximate number of people who die from taking cocaine hovers around 2,500 people. Heroin deaths are less than that, at about 2,000. To give some perspective to these numbers, it's useful to bear in mind that 2,000 people die every year from taking aspirin, too. Aspirin can cause catastrophic intestinal bleeding and death. And can be easily used to that effect, legally, by suicides.

Tobacco which, so far, is still a legal drug, kills around 400,000 people every year. The government supports tobacco production, and helps to sell American tobacco products around the world. Another 50,000 people die from sidestream tobacco smoke. These deaths occur in people who don't smoke at all; they just happen to inhale other people's smoke. Ironically, tobacco is considered such an acceptable drug that, according to Peter McWilliams, four major tobacco companies (in other words, drug dealers) became "partners" in the anti-drug group Partnership for a Drug-Free America.

Every year, approximately 10,000 people die from prescription drugs. Some of these deaths are due to miscalculated self-medication; others are due to interaction with existing medical conditions (or with other drugs) that were unforeseen or ignored by the prescribing physician; and I'd guess that some of these deaths were intentional suicides too.

The total number of deaths due to all the illegal drugs combined is about 4,500 people. Now compare 4,500 deaths with the number of deaths due to prescription drugs, alcohol (which is about 80,000 people), tobacco, over-the-counter aspirin, and sidestream smoke. The total number of deaths due to these legal drugs is well over 500,000 people -- every year. The multi-billion dollar drug war ignores the half-a-million deaths due to legal drugs and instead makes the illogical claim that 4,500 deaths due to illegal drugs justifies a multi-billion dollar shooting war.

So far, I have not mentioned marijuana. Marijuana is illegal and tens of thousands of non-violent people are in prison because of it. There are no deaths attributed to marijuana use. Nobody dies. In fact, Mr. Schaffer tells us that "Even the DEA itself says that there has not been a recorded death due to marijuana in the history of the United States."

http://www.druglibrary.org/schaffer/misc/downshow.htm

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:38 PM)
Nobody said zero health risks, not everything is black and white buddy. There are medical risks with certain baby bottles, driving in heavy traffic, living in a city, driving your car, riding the bus, touching anything on the subway, McDonalds, Wendy's, cold medicine, you name it.

And NOBODY has died from Marijuana. Maybe they smoked and jumped off a balcony, well they died from stupidity and most likely hitting their head on the ground. If you can clearly find a case of someone smoking so much weed that they died, then you can build a case, until that happens you dont really have a case. That would be the same as saying that you can die from using a cell phone since people die from driving, walking, operating boats, skiing, etc while talking on their cell phone.

So there are no drunk driving fatalities? Drunk drivng never caused a fatality? Because based on your defintion, that is what you believe. The rest of society understands when you are impaired and die in an accident, that impairment, caused the accident.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:46 PM)
So there are no drunk driving fatalities? Drunk drivng never caused a fatality? Because based on your defintion, that is what you believe. The rest of society understands when you are impaired and die in an accident, that impairment, caused the accident.

You are right, it could be a contributor to a death, as well as many other factors, cell phone talking, radio changing, being a woman. This is all very true, but its not the drug that killed the person, its their decision to perform an activity while impaired, its their own decision and their own stupidity, not the drug itself. But you can also die from alcohol alone, you can literally drink until you die, which is what separates it from Marijuana.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
You are right, it could be a contributor to a death, as well as many other factors, cell phone talking, radio changing, being a woman. This is all very true. But you can also die from alcohol, you can literally drink until you die, which is what separates it from Marijuana.

I agree. There are a lot more dangerous activities. You can't smoke cigarettes until you die, but there are a few lung cancer victims that would probably agree that cigarettes caused their cancer and death.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 02:52 PM)
You are right, it could be a contributor to a death, as well as many other factors, cell phone talking, radio changing, being a woman. This is all very true, but its not the drug that killed the person, its their decision to perform an activity while impaired, its their own decision and their own stupidity, not the drug itself. But you can also die from alcohol alone, you can literally drink until you die, which is what separates it from Marijuana.

I see you added. If the substance you take alters your judgment or mood, thereby affecting the decision, I don't see how you could give the substance a pass. XYZ drug makes you hallucinate, you make a decision while hallucinating to fly, you die while jumping off the roof. I would have to blame the drug. Now if you made the same decision while on a drug that does not impair your judgment, then I would agree.

QUOTE (Texsox @ Apr 30, 2008 -> 04:01 PM)
I see you added. If the substance you take alters your judgment or mood, thereby affecting the decision, I don't see how you could give the substance a pass. XYZ drug makes you hallucinate, you make a decision while hallucinating to fly, you die while jumping off the roof. I would have to blame the drug. Now if you made the same decision while on a drug that does not impair your judgment, then I would agree.

Are you a gun owner by any chance? Or a gun advocate?