Friday's game rained out

knightni

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
So, with the Extra Innings package, I'm definitely not going to be able to see the first game, and probably not the second, right?

Someone on here said Game 1 would be on CSN, which I know I get on my EI package. And Game 2 is supposed to be on WGN, which anyone with cable TV gets.

second time buerhle has been moved to another day to pitch, granted this is because "of the rain out" but it has to at least make you wonder, especially considering 3 out of the 4 times he's pitched this year have been bad to awful

Edited by joesaiditstrue

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 25, 2008 -> 11:36 PM)
So, with the Extra Innings package, I'm definitely not going to be able to see the first game, and probably not the second, right?

I don't know about the first game. It's not listed but since no other games are scheduled, you can check at that time. The second game is on because the feed is from MASN.

QUOTE (joesaiditstrue @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 02:30 AM)
second time buerhle has been moved to another day to pitch, granted this is because "of the rain out" but it has to at least make you wonder, especially considering 3 out of the 4 times he's pitched this year have been bad to awful

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...1,7959542.story

The Sox are being extra careful with Buehrle's innings-stressed arm this season but what happened Friday had nothing to do with caution. After he threw a perfect first inning against the Orioles, rain intervened and forced the game to be postponed.

Instead of scheduling Buehrle for one of Saturday's split-doubleheader games (the makeup is scheduled for 12:05 p.m., the regular game stays at 6:05 p.m.), the Sox have moved Buehrle back to Monday.

"Maybe a few years ago we would have contemplated it," pitching coach Don Cooper said. "We didn't even contemplate it."

Cooper treated Friday's "outing" as a typical side session and said it would not bother Buehrle.

"Anything that comes his way he is fine with, he rolls with whatever comes his way," Cooper said. "Always has."

What the rainout does is split up left-handers Buehrle and Danks,

"We can go back to it," Cooper said. "All lefties aren't alike. The only thing similar is they both throw with their left hand. They're not the same styles."

While he had thrown seven innings each of his previous three starts, Buehrle entered the game with a 5.96 ERA, which could be a cause for concern but isn't with manager Ozzie Guillen.

"One of the pitchers I have the most confidence in is Buehrle because of what he has done in the past," Guillen said. "I don't worry about him, I really don't.

"I don't want to make an excuse for him, but in Cleveland we don't make a couple of plays, and boom. In Tampa Bay, we don't make a couple of plays, boom. We have to be perfect with him almost every time because the ball is going to be in play."

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 08:15 AM)
My conspiracy theory:

With Masset pitching today and Buehrle being skipped...

The next time that they need a 5th SP/BP guy, they'll retroactively DL Buehrle and bring up Broadway for a few days.

OOOOOOOrrrrrrr somehow this all revolves around Josh Fields.

Maybe this is worthy of its own thread, but with the Sox clearly limiting Buehrle's innings this year and Danks also limited (if the Sox are smart) to 160-170 innings maximum, and Floyd probably shouldn't go much more than 200, how do the Sox handle this? Vaz and Count, if healthy, shouldn't be a concern but will be the only true workhorses this season. If the Sox continue to stay in the playoff race, they will need to find a way to limit innings so that the best pitchers are available for the playoffs.

Knightni just suggested his "conspiracy theory," but for a long season, don't the Sox need to think about how this might work? Do you give Danks a "rest" in the middle of the season so he could pitch into September and October? Do they start pitching Masset every other week or so? Or do they call up a guy like Broadway to pitch every now and then? Some kind of de facto 6-man rotation perhaps?

I know it doesn't make a ton of sense to think about October in April, but with the Sox are already taking steps to limit Buehrle, perhaps it is something to think about sooner rather than later.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 26, 2008 -> 01:15 PM)
My conspiracy theory:

With Masset pitching today and Buehrle being skipped...

The next time that they need a 5th SP/BP guy, they'll retroactively DL Buehrle and bring up Broadway for a few days.

The Black Helicopters are landing now at ole Comiskey :lolhitting