Carlos Quentin

joejoesox

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 09:58 PM)
I hope it's a minor skid. Major is like a Ryan Howard 2-for-35. That would not be good.

I think his patience will help some of the skids, at least he'll be on base, which may lead to him hitting a few mistakes as well.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange when he gets hit with the bases loaded I get really mad. Any other player I'd be happy with them getting hit, but I'm so confident he can deliver a big hit that it just drives me crazy. Anyway, I think I've found a candidate to put in my sig.

QUOTE (BearSox @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 04:28 PM)
an ideal situation would be to probably move Dye in the offseason, move Quentin to RF, Swisher to LF, and in trading Dye, get a CF who can leadoff. Unlikely, but highly ideal situation, IMO.

Agreed that the Sox should move either Dye or Thome this off-season. I suppose the decision between those two would boil down to who is more productive/healthy this year. There are just too many aging sluggers on this team right now who can't play the field very well.

QUOTE (rafacosta @ Apr 27, 2008 -> 07:41 PM)
Rather move PK than Thome. Thome is a lefty and we dont have that many.

You would rather move a 32 yr old 1B compared to a 38 yr old DH? I would actually move Dye before either of them. Konerko can just shift to DH when Thome's deal is up. You can't get wrapped around the axle about the L/R thing. Just field the best team as possible.

QUOTE (RME JICO @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 11:14 AM)
You would rather move a 32 yr old 1B compared to a 38 yr old DH? I would actually move Dye before either of them. Konerko can just shift to DH when Thome's deal is up. You can't get wrapped around the axle about the L/R thing. Just field the best team as possible.

I agree. As much as I like Thome, he's only got so much time left.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 03:16 PM)
I agree. As much as I like Thome, he's only got so much time left.

The way I see this is: sign Crede for an extension. Get Fields to play 1B which would bring better D at that position and a younger player. Trading PK you can actually get more in return than trading Thome. I know he can veto any trade b/c of the 5-10 rule but I would assume he would like to go to a contending team. We can even get some young starting pitching in exchange. In addition, finding DHs is easy...or we can even put Dye as the DH. Well, this is a perfect world that I am assuming...

QUOTE (rafacosta @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:32 PM)
The way I see this is: sign Crede for an extension. Get Fields to play 1B which would bring better D at that position and a younger player. Trading PK you can actually get more in return than trading Thome. I know he can veto any trade b/c of the 5-10 rule but I would assume he would like to go to a contending team. We can even get some young starting pitching in exchange. In addition, finding DHs is easy...or we can even put Dye as the DH. Well, this is a perfect world that I am assuming...

I dont see how that makes any sense for the sake of this team's future. Signing Crede long term will cripple the club financially, especially with a capable young minimum wage guy waiting in the wings. Its much easier to find a 1B than a 3B that hits for power. Konerko has severalgood years left and he is signed below his market value, alot of people dont even realize he's younger than DLEE on the northside. Trading Dye would be the only one that makes sense since we have an abundance of outfielders that can play and Q's natural position is RF, Swish can play LF and you hope BA develops in CF. That is an above avg defensive OF and they all hit for power and two of them get on base at a ridiculous rate. You take the money you save on Dye and Crede's salary, and you sign a pitcher hopefully.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:17 PM)
Signing Crede long term will cripple the club financially

I don't agree with that at all, especially with the Sox recovering over $13 million in payroll flexibility from Cabrera and Uribe this winter, and Contreras, Thome, and Dotel coming off the books after next season.

Its much easier to find a 1B than a 3B that hits for power. Konerko has severalgood years left and he is signed below his market value, alot of people dont even realize he's younger than DLEE on the northside. Trading Dye would be the only one that makes sense since we have an abundance of outfielders that can play and Q's natural position is RF, Swish can play LF and you hope BA develops in CF. That is an above avg defensive OF and they all hit for power and two of them get on base at a ridiculous rate. You take the money you save on Dye and Crede's salary, and you sign a pitcher hopefully.

Agreed with the rest of your post. Investing in a (younger) veteran SS might not be a bad idea, either.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 02:28 PM)
I don't agree with that at all, especially with the Sox recovering over $13 million in payroll flexibility from Cabrera and Uribe this winter, and Contreras, Thome, and Dotel coming off the books after next season.

Agreed with the rest of your post. Investing in a (younger) veteran SS might not be a bad idea, either.

Crede is going to make more than 13 million per year im guessing, and its going to have to be more than 4 or 5 years. For his production, that cripples a team. We have zero young talent coming up in our system, we need to buy at least one pitcher, possible an infielder and maybe a catcher within the next few years.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:30 PM)
Crede is going to make more than 13 million per year im guessing, and its going to have to be more than 4 or 5 years. For his production, that cripples a team. We have zero young talent coming up in our system, we need to buy at least one pitcher, possible an infielder and maybe a catcher within the next few years.

One year from this winter, the Sox will have freed up $52 million in payroll due to attrition alone (Contreras, Dotel, MacDougal, Dye, Thome, Uribe, Cabrera). Paulie's contract is up one year later, freeing up an additional $12 million. That's enough to support $14 million/year of Crede and a couple of high-tier free agents, in addition to rounding out the rest of the team. It'll ultimately depend on what the Sox's payroll ends up being (I'm assuming around $90 million).

However, I do agree that Crede is not a good investment with Fields ready to play. And taking Fields out of the equation, I agree that Crede probably isn't worth that kind of money production-wise.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 12:55 PM)
I'd rather just enjoy the players while they are here instead of constantly looking ahead to see when they won't.

For the moment, I agree with this. It won't stop the "sign Crede to an extension" or "trade Crede while you can" or "trade Konerko/Thome/Dye" talk, but it'd be nice if it did. Atleast until June or July when we have a better perception of how the Sox are going to play as the year wears on.

I watched SportsPage last night on CLTV, and some old cubs fan was on the show talking about how the sox would stink because they dont have a speedy leadoff guy. That they should put in Owens over Quentin. I wanted to reach through the TV and strangle him.

I don't know if there are any doubters still left.

But, Carlos Quentin is the truth.

I've had perhaps no greater enjoyment in the early-goings of the 2008 White Sox baseball season than watching the polar opposite approaches of Quentin and Swisher compared to the rest of the White Sox organization.

It's been indescribably appropriate.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 06:42 PM)
CQ sucks.

I'm lying. I just don't like it when the entire board is slurping a player. There's gotta be atleast one hater.

What is there to hate? :wub: