4/28 Game Suspended

AddisonStSox

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 07:45 PM)
Wow, I don't think I've ever actually seen this happen, where the two teams will start at a later date and (possibly) only play one inning for an official game.

EDIT: I've heard of it, though.

I think it happened to the Cubs last year

"The field was really messed up. It was pretty tough, but the grounds crew did a really nice job," said Ramon Hernandez, who gave the Orioles a 3-2 lead in the top of the 11th with a homer off Scott Linebrink.

"I don't think the game should have been started. It was really cold and rainy. The field was wet. You never could warm up. After 11 innings, why are you stopping the game now?" he said.

"Just let us finish like that. It doesn't matter now. The field was that bad since the seventh inning. It was raining the whole game. That's when you should have stopped it, from the beginning."

I agree

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 01:56 AM)
It's a new rule they put in last year. And it's a horrible rule.

Yeah, I agree. And I forget how they handle the rosters. Obviously both rosters will look at least somewhat different by then. I am pretty sure we can only use players who we have on our roster right now. And obviously some players who played today may be gone, so that could leave us short.

Edited by Buehrle>Wood

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 07:13 PM)
Aw hell, do I keep counting this game in the tally I've got going below or not?

I'd say count it, the game went 12 innings. Then you don't have to count the makeup portion of the game, unless it goes another 6 innings or more. They better get this game in, we don't quit at 12 innings like the All-Star Game in Milwaukee.

QUOTE (mumbles3k @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 11:39 PM)
Really? I thought it had always been this way. How did they do it before?

In years’ past, Monday’s contest would have been declared a tie and replayed in its entirety. However, Major League Baseball recently amended the rule, determining that official games called with the score tied would be resumed at the point of interruption.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 28, 2008 -> 05:56 PM)
It's a new rule they put in last year. And it's a horrible rule.

I'd rather that they just called it a tie. The MLB season is already way too long. Why add a 163rd game and put more wear and tear on these guys?

QUOTE (WCSox @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 05:19 PM)
I'd rather that they just called it a tie. The MLB season is already way too long. Why add a 163rd game and put more wear and tear on these guys?

I thought that they would just suspend this game until the end of the year to see if it mattered to the standings or not. I know they've done it before and I assumed this would be a good situation for that.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Apr 29, 2008 -> 03:22 PM)
I thought that they would just suspend this game until the end of the year to see if it mattered to the standings or not. I know they've done it before and I assumed this would be a good situation for that.

Yeah, that's what would've happened. My problem with that is that teams that have to re-play games tend to be the teams that are in contention in September. And adding an extra game to that team's schedule going into the playoffs puts them at a disadvantage.